Best and Worst NBA Team Names?

ShinyHubCaps

Since were're ranking now I have these ranked in catagories. I'm going by how well they fit with the city

and or if they just go well with the city name. In no particular order in each catagory

Perfect NBA nicknames:

Philadelphia 76ers

Houston Rockets

Detroit Pistons

Phoenix Suns

Seattle Supersonics

Portland Trailblazers

San Antonio Spurs

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Good NBA nicknames:

Chicago Bulls

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks

Cleveland Cavaliers

Indiana Pacers

Minnesota Timberwolves

Dallas Mavericks

Mediocre NBA nicknames:

Los Angeles Clippers

Sacramento Kings

Golden State Warriors

Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta Hawks

Bad NBA nicknames:

Memphis Grizzlies (too much of a stretch with city name)

Charlotte Bobcats (too dull, dullest of the big cats, used to much)

Toronto Raptors (too minor league)

New Jersey Nets (deadly,deadly dull)

Washington Wizards (doesn't fit with the city at all and just too wierd a logo)

New Orleans Hornets (cheap transplanted name. nothing will work there like jazz)

Hideous NBA nicknames:

Los Angeles Lakers (just stupid and boring, no relation at all to la)

Utah Jazz (the ultimate example of nickname and location not working)

Denver Nuggets (in the age of the chicken mcnugget it just doesnt' work)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that. With all the news items about CWD and all that, how can you live anywhere in Wisconsin and remain oblivious to deer hunting season? That's a ridiculous claim.

Ummm... what's CWD?

EDIT: I just realized you're probably referring to chronic wasting disease. But to answer your question, it's simple: Just be one of the low-income people of color who make up the majority of Milwaukee. Then you'll have more important things to worry about than what happens to some animals in the northwoods.

brew.png

I was bored this afternoon, so actually ranked them, first to last... hehe.

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Chicago Bulls

San Antonio Spurs

Boston Celtics

Houston Rockets

Sacramento Kings

Philadelphia 76ers

Orlando Magic

Milwaukee Bucks

Phoenix Suns

Atlanta Hawks

New Orleans Hornets

Minnesota Timberwolves

Miami Heat

Golden State Warriors

Portland Trailblazers

Cleveland Cavaliers

Seattle Supersonics

Memphis Grizzlies

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Utah Jazz

New York Knicks

Charlotte Bobcats

New Jersey Nets

Toronto Rapters

Denver Nuggets

You forgot the Washington Wizards, but I'm guessing low based on general consensus.

BEST TO WORST

T-1. Heat AND SUNS

2. Sonics

3. Spurs

4. Kings

5. Celtics

6. Cavaliers

7. Nuggets

8. Mavericks

9. Magic

10. Bobcats

11. Magic

12. Bulls

13. Bucks

14. Pistons

15. Rockets

16. Pacers

17. Raptors

18. Clippers

19. Trail Blazers

20. Grizzlies

21. 76ers

22. Knicks

23. Hornets

24. Nets

25. Warriors

26. Wizards

27. Jazz (NO JAZZ IN UTAH)

28. Lakers (NO LAKES IN LOS ANGELES)

29. Timberwolves

Yes there are. That's been brought up and shot down more than one time lately, probably even a little further back in this very topic.

Can we put this to bed? There are lakes in Los Angeles. Not enough to warrant keeping the team name after they moved, but there are lakes in Los Angeles.

I suggest a hearty e-flogging for the next person who brings this up because they: A. Don't know their geography; or B. Haven't read the thread they're posting in or used the search tool.

Yes there are. That's been brought up and shot down more than one time lately, probably even a little further back in this very topic.

Can we put this to bed? There are lakes in Los Angeles. Not enough to warrant keeping the team name after they moved, but there are lakes in Los Angeles.

I suggest a hearty e-flogging for the next person who brings this up because they: A. Don't know their geography; or B. Haven't read the thread they're posting in or used the search tool.

The thing is you can find lakes in most places. LA isn't know for lakes, so the name Lakers makes less sense for them in LA then it did in Minnesota.

I really don't think the Jazz nickname is horrible. Well...at least now it's not. When you think about Utah Basketball...you think of the Jazz. I don't think it matters anymore whether or not there is Jazz in Utah. The Utah Jazz are the Utah Jazz.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

There are lakes in Los Angeles. Not enough to warrant keeping the team name after they moved, but there are lakes in Los Angeles.

The thing is you can find lakes in most places. LA isn't know for lakes, so the name Lakers makes less sense for them in LA then it did in Minnesota.

Great job paraphrasing my post.

There are lakes in Los Angeles. Not enough to warrant keeping the team name after they moved, but there are lakes in Los Angeles.

Great job paraphrasing my post.

My mistake.

Best - Pistons and Mavericks. Both unique names that just strike my fancy.

Worst - Wizards. A possibly racist name, coupled with a possibly Nazist logo, makes this the worst logo package in sports. Even taking out those factors, the Wizards is just a boring name.

Of the 30 current NBA teams, which are the best and which are the worst team names? You can display however many you like (rank all 30 if you want). Please keep in mind the region from which the name is coming (i.e. Los Angeles Lakers, Utah Jazz, New Orleans Hornets, etc. seem out of place).

Just a little research I am doing. Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to discuss on other people's suggestions.

Best: Timber-Wolves, Bulls, Raptors (bad logo though)

Worst..the "singular names"..Heat, Magic

Archived