reasons for team names

panameno42

knicks- because of the settles(dutch)

yankess/rangers/liberties-pretty obvious.

super sonics-???????????

Nets-?????????????

Suns- pheonix hot weather

chargers- san deigo got the damn or the facility with the electricty.

L.A clippers-?????????

heat- pretty obvious

mavericks-??????

raiders-?????(i think i remember but im not sure)

reds-???????????????

and etc.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than a little misguided in some cases... here are a few correct answers:

Chargers:

Reportedly original team owner Barron Hilton came up with the name to help promote a credit card company he was an investor in. An alternate story says Hilton came up with the name after seeing one of his wife's credit card bills, but that's apocryphal.

Los Angeles Clippers:

The Clippers name came with the team from San Diego, where clipper ships were often seen off the coast. Prior to that the team was the Buffalo Braves.

Dallas Mavericks:

Chosen in a name the team contest. Maverick = wild horse, generally speaking.

Oakland Raiders:

Originally to be the "Oakland Senors," until the founders realized the plural of Senor is "Senores."

Cincinnati Reds:

Tribute to the Cincinnati Red Stockings, baseball's reputed first professional team.

knicks- because of the settles(dutch)

yankess/rangers/liberties-pretty obvious.

super sonics-???????????

Nets-?????????????

Suns- pheonix hot weather

chargers- san deigo got the damn or the facility with the electricty.

L.A clippers-?????????

heat- pretty obvious

mavericks-??????

raiders-?????(i think i remember but im not sure)

reds-???????????????

and etc.

I am the King of all things trival, so here you go...

Supersonics- Boeing (based in Seattle) was building the first supersonic transport (SST) in the 1960's. The US Gov't banned SST flights over the continental US and they were never put in production.

Nets-the team played in Long Island before the NBA-ABA merger. Rhymed with Mets and Jets. Will move to Brooklyn an 2009 and come full circle.

Mavericks-actually a real guy named Bret Maverick whom was a gambler and rogue. TV show in 1960s about him. That's a real maverick! The horse thing is a mis-interpretation of "Mustangs". Some people are dumb.

Browns-named after Paul Brown, their first coach/GM.

Chargers- originally were LA Chargers. Played at LA Coliseum, where they invented the "Ta da da da da da - Charge!!!" cheer. Really!!!

That's all for now.

Mavericks-actually a real guy named Bret Maverick whom was a gambler and rogue. TV show in 1960s about him. That's a real maverick! The horse thing is a mis-interpretation of "Mustangs". Some people are dumb.

From Merriam Webster ...

1mav·er·ick

Pronunciation: 'mav-rik, 'ma-v&-

Function: noun

Etymology: Samuel A. Maverick died 1870 American pioneer who did not brand his calves

1 : an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf

2 : an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

Cool, you learn sumthin' every day.

The real meaning of "maverick" is an unbranded calf. Hence why a cow was the logo of the ABA's Dallas Mavericks.

Also, per wikipedia, a Knickerbocker is a nickname for a New Yorker, originally from Washington Irving's tales of Diedrich Knickerbocker.

And, just for completeness:

Dodgers- from fans having to "dodge" the streetcars to get to Ebbets Field in Brooklyn

Lakers- named for Minnesota being the land of 10,000 lakes

*yawn*

Cubs: the 1902 squad was notably young, so Chicago scribes began calling them the Cubs, and the name stuck. Ironically, one paper tried to popularize another name, Spuds...and the irony is that said rag was the Cubs' current owners, the Tribune.

Bears: basically, inspired by the Cubs. The one year the orange and blue had to keep the Staley name had passed, and George Halas reasoned that since they were playing at Wrigley and football players tend to be bigger than baseball players, Bears would be a fitting name.

White Sox: mooched off the Cubs' original name, basically. Initially, scribes dubbed them the Invaders, though their white hosiery inspired use of the Cubs' original name soon afterwards. As reporters tended to shorten some names back then, White Stockings became White Sox.

for the hell of mention, Racine Case Eagles: my high school's namesake, Jerome I. Case, was the founder of the famed Case Company, whose symbol was an eagle standing on a globe. Fittingly, Case looks like a factory...anyways, the company's eagle symbol became our mascot as well, though I've been asked why our colors are seemingly John Deere-inspired (green and gold). Heh, red was already taken.

Wisconsin Badgers: taken from back when the state was but a territory. contrary to popular belief, badgers aint really indigenous to Wisconsin, but miners working there found themselves having to burrow in the ground and "live like badgers." the rest is history.

Michigan State Spartans: back in the early 30s, MSU football players lived in barren, no-frills dorms, and their "spartan living" was pointed out by other students. Thus, Spartans.

From Merriam Webster ...

1mav·er·ick

Pronunciation: 'mav-rik, 'ma-v&-

Function: noun

Etymology: Samuel A. Maverick died 1870 American pioneer who did not brand his calves

1 : an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf

2 : an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

Cool, you learn sumthin' every day.

If I remember my basketball ownership history has well, James Gardner was part owner of the Mavericks when they came into the NBA. FYI He played Maverick on the show you mention and this helped in the naming of the team.

Also, the Reds are named because they used to be the Red Legs, which had to do with their pants and stockings being all red in the early days of baseball.

The fun one is the Pirates, they changed names do to stealing another player from a team, and being called Pirates for doing so. At least this is the story I was given, true or not it is a good story.

From what I remember hearing, Jets (NY, not Winnipeg) was because when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Shea and ditch the Titans name for the Jets (Near LaGuardia Airport, one of the 3 major NYC-Metro Area airports), the planes would constantly fly over the stadium, and they shared Shea with the Mets...hence Jets...

Nittany Lions - there was a type of mountain-lion living among the Nittany Indians here in Central Pennsylvania (Now extinct, though there is a stuffed one in the lobby of the Pattee Library here if anyone has been or goes to PSU), hence the "Nittany" Lion... As the story goes, around the turn of the century (20th :P ) a student dressed up as a Lion to inspire the crowd at a baseball game (Or something to that effect). Also, the original colors (according to legend as well) were black and pink, but in a football game in the rain, the colors bled to a navy and whitish blend of colors, and stuck.

Everybody knows the Mets story, and the Rangers & Nets have been explained...that's it for my teams...

Just so long as nobody repeats the mistaken claim that the Mets are actually the "Metropolitans." That always bugs me.

Contrary to popular belief, the New York Cosmos soccer team was a plural name, not singular. It was named by the first GM. He started with "Metropolitans," the name of a long-defunct soccer club. Asking himself "What's bigger than metropolitan?", he came up with Cosmopolitan.

The Milwaukee Brewers were named after the city's major industry (a traditional baseball name in town that goes back to the 19th century).

The Packers were so named when Curly Lambeau was putting together a Green Bay football team and got his employer to kick in money for uniforms and equipment. The Indian Packing company may be long gone, but the legacy continues.

The Bucks were named in a fan contest. The winning entry was chosen because it connoted strength, grace, athleticism and really good jumping ability.

Just to complete the Cream City clubs, the Admirals minor league hockey team started out as the Wings, but were renamed in their second season after a line of appliances sold in the new owner's chain of stores. :D

Just so long as nobody repeats the mistaken claim that the Mets are actually the "Metropolitans." That always bugs me.

Contrary to popular belief, the New York Cosmos soccer team was a plural name, not singular. It was named by the first GM. He started with "Metropolitans," the name of a long-defunct soccer club. Asking himself "What's bigger than metropolitan?", he came up with Cosmopolitan.

The Milwaukee Brewers were named after the city's major industry (a traditional baseball name in town that goes back to the 19th century).

The Packers were so named when Curly Lambeau was putting together a Green Bay football team and got his employer to kick in money for uniforms and equipment. The Indian Packing company may be long gone, but the legacy continues.

The Bucks were named in a fan contest. The winning entry was chosen because it connoted strength, grace, athleticism and really good jumping ability.

Just to complete the Cream City clubs, the Admirals minor league hockey team started out as the Wings, but were renamed in their second season after a line of appliances sold in the new owner's chain of stores. :D

According the Mets website here is the take on the Mets name, you can understand the confusion: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nym...y/timeline1.jsp

March 6, 1961 - The New York Metropolitan Baseball Club Inc., formally receives a certificate of membership from National League President Warren Giles. The Mets' name was judged by club owner Joan Payson as the one that best met five basic criteria:

1) It met public and press acceptance;

2) It was closely related to the team's corporate name (Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc);

3) It was descriptive of the metropolitan area;

4) It had a brevity that delighted copy readers everywhere;

5) It had historical background referring to the Metropolitans of the 19th century American Association. Other names considered included Rebels, Skyliners, NYBs, Burros (for the five boroughs), Continentals, Avengers... as well as Jets and Islanders, names that would eventually find their way onto the New York sports scene.

May 8, 1961 - New York's National League club announces that the team nickname will be "Mets," a natural shortening of the corporate name ("New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.")

Well technically, they are. While the name is "Mets, Just Plain Mets" as the famous saying goes, yes, in that respect the Mets are just the Mets, and nothing more. However, the corporate name the franchise had before a name was selected was the "New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.". Mets was chosen because it was liked by Joan Payson, it had a meaningful tie to the city, and it went well with the corporate name of the team. The criteron for the name blurb in the Mets Media Guide is printed every season near the front, which is where this is explained.

It also mentions other names that were up for consideration were the Rebels, Skyliners, and even the Jets and Islanders...

...and I was beaten to it, with the exact text that appears in the Media guide and all....nice grab there!!!

I should type quicker I guess :cursing::P

Devils - Named after the legend of the Jersey Devil. Legend goes, in 1732, Mrs. Leads was in labor with her 13th child. During this delivery, Mrs. Leeds screamed in pain "Let this be the son of the devil!" When the child was born, it was normal enough, but after a few moments, in began to transform. The child deverloped the head of a horse, legs of a goat, bat wings, and a serpants tail. It then proceeded to kill everyone in the room, the midwives and Mrs. Leeds herself. Since then, the Jersey Devil has been reported to cause mayhem in the area of the New Jerey Pine Barrens, an area in southern New Jersey. However, sightings of the devil have been reported as far away as Philadelphia, Newark, and New York City.

Utah Jazz - named for the jazz music of New Orleans, where the team started.

Houston Astros - I'm assuming it had to do with NASA being in Houston in the 60s.

Colorado Rockies - because of some mountains or something or nuther.

Arizona Diamondbacks - rattlesnakes in the Arizona desert.

Kansas City Royals - I'm not sure why, but the "royalty" theme is common in KC (Crowne Center, Kings, Monarchs, etc.) for some reason

Minnesota Twins - twin cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul

Texas Rangers - law enforcement organization by the same name in that state

Jungle Jim, you answered your own question with the Royals: the name was inspired by the Monarchs.

as I see it hasn't been mentioned yet: Eagles...named after FDR's New Deal symbol...for the hell of mention, the team's original colors were blue and gold, but switched to green and silver in the 40s in homage to the Philadelphia Mint (translation: the colors were adopted in honor of money :D )

Patriots: the team was awarded to its original owners on Patriot's Day

Saints: similar reason to the Pats, their original owners were awarded the franchise on All Saints' Day

Portland Winterhawks: the Chicago Blackhawks were originally the second incarnation of the Portland Rosebuds, and the Winterhawks were able to garner the Blackhawks' permission to wear nearly identical uniforms (differences: the shoulder crest is a P instead of a C, and the indian head was changed slightly a few years ago)

San Francisco Giants: legend has it that, while they played in New York, manager John McGraw was so elated after a victory that he was goin "my big men, my giants!" at one point. the football Giants simply decided to take the name from the baseball team, as was common practice in the 20s.

Oklahoma Sooners: the government was opening up what was then Indian Territory to white settlers, and there were some who jumped the gun and got land sooner. the territory that became Oklahoma was thus nicknamed the Sooner State.

UW Stevens Point Pointers...heh, the name answers itself.

UW Eau Claire Blugolds...again, answers itself: blue and gold

Milwaukee Washington HS Purgolders: another color amalgam...purple and gold. as they reasoned they have the same name and colors as the University of Washington, they adopted the husky as its mascot, too.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: this one stems from a baseball game against those hillbillies from Athens in the late 1800s. Tech supporters at the game had donned yellow jackets, and the name wound up sticking.

Virginia Tech: the Hokies nickname comes from a cheer a student came up with in the 1890s, and the Gobbler moniker (which is also the source of VT's turkey mascot) stemmed from, legend has it, the football players' eating habits.

Patriots: the team was awarded to its original owners on Patriot's Day

I'm pretty sure the Pats nickname comes from the fact that the Boston area was where the American Revolution began. and also since the team was awarded in November and Patriot's Day is always in April (the actual day being April 19th)....be kinda hard for that to be the reasoning behind the name

Bucs - Contest winner. Port City. Florida was apparently a piratey place back in the day. It kicks ass.

Nevada Wolfpack - Had to name em something. Stupid considering there arent any wolves in the Sierra Nevadas. Coyotes, but no Wolves.

Archived