reasons for team names

panameno42

Correct me if I'm wrong on the details, but the Buffalo Bills were named after an old AAFC (the same league that gave us the Browns and the 49ers) team that was owned by Frontier Oil. That team was named the Bills because (their rationale) Will Bill Hickok helped open the American frontier, and the Bills would open up a new frontier in football. Well, at least they're not named the Bisons, although then their logo would make perfect sense instead of just referencing the city name and the buffalo possibly being shot in the head...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong on the details, but the Buffalo Bills were named after an old AAFC (the same league that gave us the Browns and the 49ers) team that was owned by Frontier Oil. That team was named the Bills because (their rationale) Will Bill Hickok helped open the American frontier, and the Bills would open up a new frontier in football. Well, at least they're not named the Bisons, although then their logo would make perfect sense instead of just referencing the city name and the buffalo possibly being shot in the head...

You are close. Check the link on the previous page that tells the official stories of all of the team nicknames. Buffalo Bill (Cody) was indeed a factor in choosing the name.

Kansas City (now Sacramento) Kings:

The franchise relocated to Kansas City from Cincinnati, where the team had been the Royals. Cincinnati is known as the "Queen City," but when they relocated Kansas City already had a Royals... so they became the Kings.

You're right as to why they changed from "Royals" to "Kings" in Kansas City, but the team was called the Royals when it was in Rochester prior to moving to Cincinnati. While "Royals" fits with Cincinnati's nickname as the "Queen City", that wasn't the original source of the name.

My edjumacated guess would be that "Royals" was chosen by Rochester because New York is the Empire state...

brew.png

They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody. His WIld West shows were world famous. He has nothing to do with the city of Buffalo, other than the fact the name kinda flows and whatever. No other reason.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

LA Kings:

In 1966, Jack Kent Cooke and Dan Reeves (an LA Rams executive and majority stockholder of the LA Blades of the Western Hockey League) were in involved in a bitter battle for the rights to the LA expansion franchise. When Cooke was finally awarded the franchise over Reeve's, he reportedly exclaimed, " I feel like a King!" The name stuck and he adopted the regal colors of gold and purple for his new team, as well as for his new acquisition the LA Lakers. The Lakers' previous colors were dark blue and powder blue. The fact that Cooke was willing to spend his own money for the construction of the "Fabulous Forum" clinched his NHL

franchise bid.

They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody. His WIld West shows were world famous. He has nothing to do with the city of Buffalo, other than the fact the name kinda flows and whatever. No other reason.

Not quite...

from the pro football hall of fame official site:

BUFFALO BILLS - Buffalo?s team in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) in 1946 was the Bisons. In 1947 a contest was held to rename the team, which was owned by James Breuil of the Frontier Oil Company. The winning entry suggested Bills, reflecting on the famous western frontiersman, Buffalo Bill Cody. Carrying the ?frontier? theme further, the winning contestant further offered that the team was being supported by Frontier Oil and was ?opening a new frontier in sports in Western New York.? When Buffalo joined the new American Football League in 1960, the name of the city?s earlier pro football entry was adopted.

So close, yet so far away...

Not quite...

BUFFALO BILLS - Buffalo?s team in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) in 1946 was the Bisons. In 1947 a contest was held to rename the team, which was owned by James Breuil of the Frontier Oil Company. The winning entry suggested Bills, reflecting on the famous western frontiersman, Buffalo Bill Cody. Carrying the ?frontier? theme further, the winning contestant further offered that the team was being supported by Frontier Oil and was ?opening a new frontier in sports in Western New York.? When Buffalo joined the new American Football League in 1960, the name of the city?s earlier pro football entry was adopted.

Not quite...

How can this be "so far away?" I got the story directly from the OFFICIAL Pro Football Hall of Fame site. Where else would you be able to get a more accurate and OFFICIAL story?

Houston Astros:

Chosen in connection with the then-newly constructed Houston Astrodome after the franchise essentially lost the right to continue calling the team the Houston Colt .45's.

...and the Astrodome was so-named because...

I'm guessing it was because of the space program's presence in Houston, so in perhaps an indirect way, the Astros name evolved from the space program.

:D

Not quite...

How can this be "so far away?" I got the story directly from the OFFICIAL Pro Football Hall of Fame site. Where else would you be able to get a more accurate and OFFICIAL story?

I think he was saying that HE was so close yet so far away.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not quite...

:wacko:

Somedays I amaze me of how dumb I can be. Where's my coffee?

Pittsburgh Pirates:

After the collapse of the Players League, the Pirates again got into a contract dispute. The owners of the Philadelphia Athletics had expected 2B Lou Bierbauer to return to his pre-PL team; instead he wound up with the Pittsburgh club. It was said that the Steel City squad had "pirated" away Bierbauer and they were thereafter known as the "Pirates".

'Tis exactly what I was saying. I apologize for any confusion...

Not quite...

:wacko:

Somedays I amaze me of how dumb I can be. Where's my coffee?

I noticed a couple of CBA names that are pretty obvious:

Butte Daredevils -- Named for Butte's favorite son, Evel Knievel. They even use the same design and colors Mr. Knievel used when he was the most famous active daredevil of them all.

Minot SkyRockets -- Very likely named for the rockets housed near the Minot Air Force Base. It was once said that if Ward County, where Minot is located, were to secede from the union, it would be the third-largest nuclear power.

Great Falls Explorers -- Named for Lewis and Clark, as are the Sioux City Exporers of minor league baseball fame.

But I'm still curious what a Patroon is.

don't know if it's been mentioned but the utah jazz are so named because they were originally from new orleans which is home of the jazz. when the team moved here to utah they never bothered to change the name.

university of utah utes- the local ute indian tribe

utah state aggies- when the college first started it was the utah state college of agriculture which was shortened to aggies

salt lake bees- named after the original PCL team in utah which was named after the state's symbol- the beehive

Archived