Sign in to follow this  
panameno42

reasons for team names

But I'm still curious what a Patroon is.

My recollection was correct (more or less):

pa·troon /pəˈtrun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-troon] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun a person who held an estate in land with certain manorial privileges granted under the old Dutch governments of New York and New Jersey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1655?65; < D < F < L patrōnus. See patron, -oon]

?Related forms

pa·troon·ship, noun

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

The New York Islanders were almost called the "Long Island Ducks"

There is a minor league baseball team called the LI Ducks.

There was also a EHL minor league hockey team called the LI Ducks in the 60's.

John Brophy played for the ducks and got many of the scars on his face from the chain link fence that surrounded the rink, or so the story goes.

It has been rumored that the LI Ducks were the inspiration for the movie SlapShot.

It has been rumored that the LI Ducks were the inspiration for the movie SlapShot.

The Johnstown Jets of the EHL were the inspiration for SlapShot.

You are right, but according to Wikipedia, the Paul Newman character is based in part on former Long Island Ducks player/coach John Brophy.

The Johnstown Jets of the EHL were the inspiration for SlapShot.

The movie started out as a documentary about life in the minors but George Roy Hill felt it would work better as a comedy. So alot of incidents from around the minors were portrayed including some from the Ducks storied past. One that didn't make the cut was when the Ducks team bus was late for a road game and instead of going to the arena the team went to a movie instead.

You are kinda right, the Chiefs were based on the Johnstown Jets since they filmed the movie in Johnstown. But the MOVIE was not.

The Hansons were based on the real life Carlson Bros.

Ogie Oglethorpe was based on Bill Goldthorpe.

Player/Coach Reggie was loosely based on LI Ducks Player/Coach John Brophy.

Nancy Dowd who wrote the script is the sister of Ned Dowd who played minor league hockey, contributed to the writing of the script and portrayed Ogie Oglethorpe in the movie.

don't know if it's been mentioned but the utah jazz are so named because they were originally from new orleans which is home of the jazz. when the team moved here to utah they never bothered to change the name.

the story I heard was that the owner was too broke to do change the team's logo and uniforms after the move. doesn't explain the green jerseys they wore in the early 80s, but heh, it's plausible.

Well, you're half-right. A pointer is also a breed of dog native to England, known for its athleticism and hunting abilities

heh, I'd imagine they came up with Pointers first, then thought of the dog later.

Tampa Bay Lightning - The Tampa area is the lightning capital of the world.

I remember a story that when the expansion group was getting off the ground they were on a boat having a meeting in either the bay or the gulf and Phil Esposito was watching a lightning storm and said something like..."That's what we should call them...The Lightning."

Birmingham Thunderbolts (XFL) - Originally called the Blast. The name was changed so it wouldn't glorify hate crimes (ie. 1963 bombing of a Baptist church).

Milwaukee Brewers - The most common name given to Milwaukee baseball teams in the 19th century (other name included Greys, Unions and Cream Citys). The name finally stuck on Milwaukee's American Association club that moved to Toledo after Milwaukee got the Braves. When Bud Selig organized an ownership group to bring baseball back to Milwaukee in after the Braves left, he chose the name of the team he grew up watching: the Milwaukee Brewers.

Milwaukee Bucks - Chosen in a "name the team" contest. The winning entrant pointed out that Bucks were strong, agile and spirited jumpers. The white-tail deer (depicted in the Bucks logo) is also the state wildlife animal of Wisconsin.

Milwaukee Wave - Named for the strong waves that crash into the Milwaukee waterfront from Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee Panthers - Chosen by the students in a 1965 contest to replace the school's nickname from "Cardinals." They also adopted black and gold as the school colors to help separate themselves from UW-Madison (Wisconsin).

Detroit Tigers - A reporter thought their striped socks made them look like a Princeton team and called them the "Tigers."

don't know if it's been mentioned but the utah jazz are so named because they were originally from new orleans which is home of the jazz. when the team moved here to utah they never bothered to change the name.

the story I heard was that the owner was too broke to do change the team's logo and uniforms after the move. doesn't explain the green jerseys they wore in the early 80s, but heh, it's plausible.

Well, green, purple and yellow are the traditional colors of Mardi Gras, and by extension, the city of New Orleans. (But not the train they call The City of New Orleans! :D )

When Bud Selig organized an ownership group to bring baseball back to Milwaukee in after the Braves left, he chose the name of the team he grew up watching: the Milwaukee Brewers.

I do wish that he had enough time way back then to design his own uniforms....

Well, green, purple and yellow are the traditional colors of Mardi Gras, and by extension, the city of New Orleans. (But not the train they call The City of New Orleans! :D )

I already knew that...but I don't recall whether the Jazz wore the green unis in N'awlins or not. Funny thing about the greens, they had no purple while the purple New Orleans jersey that it replaced and the purple uni they switched to in the late 80s both had green on the collars and cuffs.

I already knew that...but I don't recall whether the Jazz wore the green unis in N'awlins or not. Funny thing about the greens, they had no purple while the purple New Orleans jersey that it replaced and the purple uni they switched to in the late 80s both had green on the collars and cuffs.

well according the sports e-cyclopedia new orelans jazz page, they wore purple and green unis in new orleans. each uni was either solid green or purple with yellow striping on the shorts and jersey with the logo and numbers in white. i also want to say they added the white unis when they came to utah but i'm not sure. also, the new orleans jazz were named the jazz by a fan contest.