Business card design for a string quartet named "a square!"

averyj

Well, as none of you know :D , I play cello, in a string quartet, self-titled "a square!"

Yes, that cello, as in

Cello, ya got a bass!

(School of Rock)

Now you might be thinking right now, "What the $%@ kind of name is 'a square!'?". Well, it's a practical one I'll tell you.

It stands for

A String Quartet Achieving Real Excellence, or "a square!" for short. It also forms as an abbreviation of our names: "A Simeon, Quinn, Avery, Ryan Ensemble" but the previous one is more of an inside joke.

Ehh? Ehh? Pretty sneaky huh?

We play 1/3 pops, 1/3 classical, and 1/3 holiday music. We also give out free calculators so you can check our math! (just kidding!)

Logo Here:

blurredoutnumberwithwatermark.png

I'll explain how I made it later.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I'm not really feeling this. It maybe the colors, the type, the handle, or all of it, but it needs some help. I think your doing too much with your title, get a bolder/stronger font type and lose the black. Your text has your name in blue, make your title blue, easy relations right there. Your handle is a bunch of random colors, red/orange, blue, yellow, and black. Try something more simple. Work on that and you might have something nice to look at.

I think it's everything you said. It's a business card, scale it back a bit.

First...tone down your sig. Really, really annoyingly large.

Second, GoNordiques is right on the money. This business card is a combination of sheer randomness and overtrying. If it's supposed to represent professionalism in your music, then you need it to covey that message. Don't make it look like the head of the cello is engulfed with lava, basically. Use more aesthetically pleasing colors...no one's gonna take you seriously if your card looks like a tye-dye t-shirt engulfed in flames.

I'm really busy with homework right now, so I'll keep the critism in mind, but, to help me, what do you like about the design?

It's weird that not many people like it, because from all the people I've shown it to, all of them like it. Maybe you don't understamd the idea behind the quartet. We're not fancy-pantsy, yeah sure we play at some elegant gigs, but we don't just play Mozart/Brahms/Beethoven, we play a lot of fun stuff, "Theme from James Bond, Lord of the Dance (etc)" so when you're critiquing us, don't think of us as people in tuxedos with monacles, far from it, I mean, our oldest player is 16.

I think the handle is a good visual element and is a good item to use as the focal point of the card, but the type is too much. Go with a small, simple sans serif. In fact, make everything smaller, and give the card some breathing room. White space is your friend. Type should be about 6-9 points on a business card.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think the handle is a good visual element and is a good item to use as the focal point of the card, but the type is too much. Go with a small, simple sans serif. In fact, make everything smaller, and give the card some breathing room. White space is your friend. Type should be about 6-9 points on a business card.

Ehhh...I'd go at minimum 8pts. Defiantly stay under 12 for everything that isn't a major title, even then, keep it to 12 and under. I usually (depending on the font) have names at a 10 or 11, sometimes 12, everything else at an 8. Once again, this depends on the font greatly. You could go down to 6 for nice legible stuff like Avenir, Helvetica, Futura, etc. Anything with a serif is going to have to stay above 8, especially if you get it thermographed (raised ink). I think anything smaller, you're cutting out too much of your audience. In a way, its like not testing for Explorer 5.0. Sure, nobody YOU KNOW uses it, but still a majority of the world out there does still use that old crappy crappy browser.

Other than that, it?s just too busy. Tempest is right, the handle is a great graphic to use, and with some edits it could be an outstanding primary element. Less colors, less saturated blue. I'd de-saturate all the colors just a bit. That Reflex Blue color is a little tired. I'd like to see the handle in a one color, slightly ghosted in the background.

You can be fun and classy. Keep it simple. The best cards have ONE element that sticks out. Maybe it?s a translucent paper, but a normal card. Rounded corners (a little tired, but still is a different element), or a spot varnish. But put all three of those together and you have a mess. With most design, keep it simple stupid. :D Or maybe its a cool element that doesn't always belong on a business card, like a musical instrument.

It?s a good start, but it can be a better card.

I'm really busy with homework right now, so I'll keep the critism in mind, but, to help me, what do you like about the design?

It's weird that not many people like it, because from all the people I've shown it to, all of them like it. Maybe you don't understamd the idea behind the quartet. We're not fancy-pantsy, yeah sure we play at some elegant gigs, but we don't just play Mozart/Brahms/Beethoven, we play a lot of fun stuff, "Theme from James Bond, Lord of the Dance (etc)" so when you're critiquing us, don't think of us as people in tuxedos with monacles, far from it, I mean, our oldest player is 16.

The idea/point of the quartet is irrelevant. Our main point is that the design, as it is, isn't that good. I don't care if the card is for a monster truck rally -- you don't use those colors and you don't use that much contrast. Just looks bad.

I'm not in love with the design, but it's reasonable enough.

Shouldn't you have an email address listed?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not in love with the design, but it's reasonable enough.

Shouldn't you have an email address listed?

Yes, but we need to actually set up one in the first place with a domain name, thus is why there is no email or website listed, oh, and to unwind- I've just been under a little stress over the past week, but now it's all gone.

I agree with all of the above comments, but wanted to echo that you have the kernel of a good deisign there.... keep the handle coming in from the right, but do it as a simple graphic element, in one color... then the text organized around it, possibly laying the name over the thick part of the handle.... put the definition of the anagram right under the name in smaller type.... maybe do a color background, another color for text, and another for the handle... three total... and pick a value range and stay within it... you can be edgy without being flourescent.... just my .02

I agree with all of the above comments, but wanted to echo that you have the kernel of a good deisign there.... keep the handle coming in from the right, but do it as a simple graphic element, in one color... then the text organized around it, possibly laying the name over the thick part of the handle.... put the definition of the anagram right under the name in smaller type.... maybe do a color background, another color for text, and another for the handle... three total... and pick a value range and stay within it... you can be edgy without being flourescent.... just my .02

That's probably the most helpful piece of information I've gotten.

Oh, and to meetthemets:

Screw off.

Archived