The Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year is...

OB33

I would have gone with Federer or Tiger Woods. I can't think of anyone who dominated their respective sports like either of these two.

Maybe Ryan Howard, if I had to go with someone from the 4 majors.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

To be perfectly honest, the New Orleans Saints at least deserved a nomination, even the victory.

They were a symbol of the confusion and turmoil of the greatest natural disater this country has faced, brought out the best of the NFL when they decided to help with the rebuilding of the Superdome; and now, they represent the hope and dream of reconstruction of the region, not to mention a streak of success under new coach Payton, new QB Drew Brees, and the TWO best Rookies of the Year.

They went through something unimaginable; and now, the Saints have become "America's Team"...if THAT doesn't deserve Sportsmen of the Year, I don't know what does.

GR30a5H.png

I'm glad Tiger Woods didn't win, golf isn't even a sport. It's a skilled competition, yes, but no sport.

Proof: First and only time I went golfing, I counted 4 men who smoked while they played.

Roger Federer would and should win this most years, if he was American. I have never seen anyone dominate a sport like he has. In tennis, some people have bad days, one bad day, and you're out of a tournament.

In baseball or basketball, if you have one bad game, they are still more playoff games to rebound in.

I'm glad Tiger Woods didn't win, golf isn't even a sport. It's a skilled competition, yes, but no sport.

Proof: First and only time I went golfing, I counted 4 men who smoked while they played.

Roger Federer would and should win this most years, if he was American. I have never seen anyone dominate a sport like he has. In tennis, some people have bad days, one bad day, and you're out of a tournament.

In baseball or basketball, if you have one bad game, they are still more playoff games to rebound in.

You can smoke and play hockey. You'd just suck at it.

Golf's an athletic competition and therefore a sport.

So that disqualifies it? Hell I'll never forget the game a few years back when Jim Leyland went to the mound to pull his pitcher and still had his smoke in his mouth. Also both Earl Weaver and Cal Ripken Sr. often snuck smokes in the dugout and the tunnel. I know they weren't actually playing. If you ever read Fatso buy Art Donovan he has a lot of anticdotes that would make you disqualify football too. Just the other day on the NFL network they mentioned someone Bobby Layne IIRC who was smoking in the huddle, and he was the quarterback. And both the Yankee Clipper and the Mick often were spotted smoking in the dugout.

So the smoking thing shouldn't disqualify it. The fact that you stand still, ask for silence, hit a ball that is still, walk to the spot were you hit it and repeat. That might be a reason to disqualify it. :D

As for sportsman...Floyd Landis. Hell he cheated by taking a preformance enhancing drug to win the biggest event in his sport. One that is the most drug tested on the planet too. That takes place in a country that hates the USA. Ok well maybe not sportsman...but WTF were you thinking award.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

golf isn't even a sport. It's a skilled competition, yes, but no sport.

You're kidding right? Try playing it then come back and tell us it isn't a sport. Oh and by the way when you play don't use a cart. Walk an 18 hole course. Golf is definitely a sport and a very difficult one at that. If smoking disqualifies a sport then I guess we need to take MLB off the list as well.

On topic...my vote would have gone to the autistic kid first and The Saints or Maggie Dixon second. If a Horse can win then a team can win.

BB52Big.jpg

If smoking disqualifies a sport then I guess we need to take MLB off the list as well.

Mate, that eliminates 99% of all sports.

You're kidding right? Try playing it then come back and tell us it isn't a sport. Oh and by the way when you play don't use a cart. Walk an 18 hole course. Golf is definitely a sport and a very difficult one at that.

Agreed, looks easy when watching it on TV, but when ya get out there it is bloody difficult. Over here, ya need your liscence to drive a cart, so I have to walk the whole thing. Yes it is annoying, but it shows how hard a game it is.

Was there a nomination for World Series of Poker champ whoever that was?

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The Saints? Please. If McMahon can't win because he's not sports, then the Saints can win because they're not a man.

Bango.

Sorry, but they've picked entire teams before - specifically the 1980 Sportsmen of the year, the USA Olympic Hockey team.

It was a joke. Someone jumped down my throat when I said Vince McMahon was a good choice because he was n't "sports".

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived