M&N made game jerseys?

sc49erfan15

I know they made the AFL's Soul and Voodoo uniforms one year, but that aint no M&N in that link, that's for sure. odd, though, the Russell tag looks like it was through several seasons but the numbers look brand new. Heh, the seller goes on to say it's from when players didn't wear names...but the Vermeil-era jerseys always had names on the back, as they were introduced well after the merger...heh, only thing I can come up with is it was probably worn by separate Eagles in different years, as he says there's no name.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I used to sell Russell Athletic uniforms when I worked in Rochester. We would send Russell our own embroidered labels. Russell then sewed them into the garment with a generic size tag. Upon first glance you thought WE had made the uniform. This jersey probably was made for M&N by Russell. But on the ebay page the seller says the jersey is 19" across and a medium. I don't know of any NFL linemen (#50) who would still wear a size medium. As to the numbers looking new. If it was never worn in a game and washed properly, the twill will hold up. This shirt is probably just a replica. And M&N could have sold the Eagles their uniforms. I know Russell made the NBA Atlanta Hawks uniforms and they went through the Wayne Watson Co., the Atlanta-area distributor for Russell. Until the manufacturers started working directly with the teams they always went through their local dealer.

The description also says "from the late 70's early 80's, during the time when the Eagles didn't have names of the jerseys".

Haven't the Eagles had names on the back since the early 70's? "Invincible" took place in 1976, and the names were present at that time.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The description also says "from the late 70's early 80's, during the time when the Eagles didn't have names of the jerseys".

Haven't the Eagles had names on the back since the early 70's? "Invincible" took place in 1976, and the names were present at that time.

ebay links are blocked where I'm at right now, so I can't see the item in question. However, I'm pretty sure that the NFL mandated player names starting in 1970, the first merged year. I believe all AFL teams had names pretty much from the beginning, but only a few (if any) original NFL teams adopted names prior to the meger. Therefore the "from the late 70's early 80's" statement is complete BS - by 1970 everyone had names.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw any of the old Super Bowl highlights - I think even the 1969 Vikings didn't have names, but you would have to root through the old NFL films season highlight reels to see when a team added names.

Just to throw this in there about Mitchell and Ness. I purchased a Bowling Green at Temple program on Ebay from 1953. There was an ad in the program for Mitchell and Ness sporting goods "providers of top quality athletic uniforms." I am assuming that since M&N is from Philly that they probably did, at one time, provide authentic on-field uniforms for the Eagles, before such things were commercialized and sold to the general public.

fade.gif

M&N was a regular uniform maker for much of their history.

They have been around in Philly forever. I believe they made the early Phillies uniforms.

It wasn't until the late 80's when they started to make "throwbacks" and then it was only for baseball.

The story is that someone with M&N found a bunch of wool flannel at their factory and decided that it would be cool to make reproductions of the old school uniforms.

They got popular and became M&N's big thing...the company then blew up.

Archived