The First Throwback?

jhans203

I found this picture dinking around the internet of Daryl Dawkins in 1976 his first year in the NBA. It is not the jersey that they wore later on during their run to the Finals as pictured below as well. It made me wonder if this was a throwback...because it looks like it could be. Then also it made me wonder how long throwbacks have been around. Does anyone know the firsts???

500-dawkins-hayes-2.jpg

500-dawkins01.jpg

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

no idea of how long throwbacks have been around, but it's interesting that the photos contain two of the most expensive throwbacks available from mitchell & ness (the 1976 New York Nets jersey and the Wahington Bullets jersey)

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

My quick response to "how long have throwbacks been around" would direct me to baseball.

Turn Back The Clock Games were born in the 1980s as a way to pack the parks. We always went to Cleveland Stadium for those games to enjoy 10 cent hot dogs and watch the Tribe play in uniforms from the 1920s, 40s, or 50s.

My educated guess would say that these "throwback" games originated in baseball as a marketing stunt to boost attendance. Then when it was realized you could make merchandise money the idea drifted elsewhere- the 1994 NFL 75th Anniversary season is the next big one that comes to mind.

fade.gif

I found this picture dinking around the internet of Daryl Dawkins in 1976 his first year in the NBA. It is not the jersey that they wore later on during their run to the Finals as pictured below as well. It made me wonder if this was a throwback...because it looks like it could be. Then also it made me wonder how long throwbacks have been around. Does anyone know the firsts???

500-dawkins-hayes-2.jpg

500-dawkins01.jpg

"Thems sum short shorts man!"

(What my next door neighbor's 16 year old son would say if he saw this)

My quick response to "how long have throwbacks been around" would direct me to baseball.

Turn Back The Clock Games were born in the 1980s as a way to pack the parks. We always went to Cleveland Stadium for those games to enjoy 10 cent hot dogs and watch the Tribe play in uniforms from the 1920s, 40s, or 50s.

My educated guess would say that these "throwback" games originated in baseball as a marketing stunt to boost attendance. Then when it was realized you could make merchandise money the idea drifted elsewhere- the 1994 NFL 75th Anniversary season is the next big one that comes to mind.

I think the First Throwback Game came in Chicago 1990 final season of Comiskey Park the White Sox wore 1917 uniforms in a game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the First Throwback Game came in Chicago 1990 final season of Comiskey Park the White Sox wore 1917 uniforms in a game.

I remember an UpperDeck baseball card with Carlton Fisk and Robin Ventura (I think) wearing those old unis and the New Comiskey being built up around them.

That very well might be the first TBTC game, but I thought I remembered some in the late 80s. . . .

fade.gif

July 11, to be specific.

turnback333f8b3ddlw4.jpg

turnback533f8b47drm5.jpg

turnback433f8b513qi1.jpg

They also turned off all the electronic scoreboards that day:

turnback233f8b53bto3.jpg

They even had the grounds crew dress up in throwbacks!

turnback133f8b4b9ug0.jpg

July 11, to be specific.

turnback333f8b3ddlw4.jpg

turnback533f8b47drm5.jpg

turnback433f8b513qi1.jpg

They also turned off all the electronic scoreboards that day:

turnback233f8b53bto3.jpg

They even had the grounds crew dress up in throwbacks!

turnback133f8b4b9ug0.jpg

The ground crew was a nice touch, but how'd people know the score? Are there old-timey scoreboards in Comiskey Park?

It really looks like 1917 in this picture. Check out all the "WHITE" Sox, there's about what? 5 black players??? I just find that interesting.

turnback533f8b47drm5.jpg

Yeah, it used to be about 50/50, but they fired almost all of the black players.

Just for throwback day. :grin:

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Wow. I can't stand the Sox, but everything about this sounds perfect. The unis look fantastic, the prices and promotion...and the one-day manual scoreboard?

:shocked:

I tip my cap to you, 1991 White Sox.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

On July 11, 1990, as part of the celebration of Comiskey Park, the White Sox played a Turn Back the Clock game against the Milwaukee Brewers. The White Sox wore their 1917 home uniforms. This was the first Turn Back the Clock game in the major leagues and started what has become a popular promotion. The club turned off the electronic scoreboards and public address system. They constructed a special manually operated scoreboard in centerfield for the day and even the grounds-crew wore period costume. General admission tickets were sold for $0.50, popcorn was a nickel, and the stadium organ was shut down for the game.

In anticipation of the move to the new ballpark, the White Sox adopted classic pinstriped uniforms late in the 1990 season along with the alternate black jerseys, instantly jumping to the top of the league in merchandise sales. Originally to be premiered in the 1991 season, the Sox sported the jerseys during their final days at the old ballpark.

- Wikipedia.org

On July 11, 1990, as part of the celebration of Comiskey Park, the White Sox played a Turn Back the Clock game against the Milwaukee Brewers. The White Sox wore their 1917 home uniforms. This was the first Turn Back the Clock game in the major leagues and started what has become a popular promotion. The club turned off the electronic scoreboards and public address system. They constructed a special manually operated scoreboard in centerfield for the day and even the grounds-crew wore period costume. General admission tickets were sold for $0.50, popcorn was a nickel, and the stadium organ was shut down for the game.

In anticipation of the move to the new ballpark, the White Sox adopted classic pinstriped uniforms late in the 1990 season along with the alternate black jerseys, instantly jumping to the top of the league in merchandise sales. Originally to be premiered in the 1991 season, the Sox sported the jerseys during their final days at the old ballpark.

- Wikipedia.org

I would hardly trust Wikipedia as the final source for anything.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived