Arizona State hires Dennis Erickson as new head football coach

GreenShoe

Eh...I will hold my judgment for a year or two. I think he has the potential to do a lot of good at ASU, but at the same time his long list of coaching jobs are a little troubling and (nothing against Idaho) but I am a little weary about the fact that he was at Idaho and not a high tier team.

Koetter from Boise State, Erickson from Idaho ... what is it w/ ASU and the Potato State?

Anyway, Erickson's dirty. He'll recruit the usual cast of hoodlums, violate all sorts of NCAA rules, and leave w/ the Sun Devils on probation.

Perfect hire.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

One year at Idaho lands him this job?!?

Man, what the :censored: do they smoke in Arizona when it comes to college coaches? Erickson is an old washed up piece of crap that should of never came back into coaching at all and I hope the Sun Dorks go 0-12 next season just for hiring him.

He may turn out great for ASU, but I think it's really :censored:ed up how he did Idaho. They took a chance on his washed up ass, and he repays them by staying there for one year to go after the big bucks? It's laughable how people expect loyalty from the athletes, but not the coaches.

Classy move, Erickson. Shows us what type of person you really are.

Erickson is as dirty as they get. This guy is largely responsible for creating the thug atmosphere at Miami (yes, moreso than Jimmy Johnson - at least JJ instilled discipline in his teams) and at Oregon State.

And leaving the Idaho team high and dry after one year? Pathetic. The guy has no scruples.

He may turn out great for ASU, but I think it's really :censored:ed up how he did Idaho. They took a chance on his washed up ass, and he repays them by staying there for one year to go after the big bucks? It's laughable how people expect loyalty from the athletes, but not the coaches.

Classy move, Erickson. Shows us what type of person you really are.

I see what you are saying, but honestly, its a career move. If you were with a bottom tier company and a middle/high tier company came to you and offered you not only more money, but a better work environment, you wouldn't take it?

Mike Stoops (UofA) 7-16

Tyrone Willingham (Washington) 7-16

...that is all

Actually Stoops is 12-22

Damn Wikipedia. Now it says 9-21...Who knows the Willingham one is correct either...Either way, my point is still valid, I would worry about your teams coach before talking about ASU's.

On one hand, I think Dennis Erickson is a slimeball, but mostly for the way he coaches and the type of players he recruits. On the other hand, you can't argue with his results at the college level.

To argue that he left Idaho high and dry is to ignore the fact that Idaho knew this was going to happen when they hired him. Do you think Erickson went to coach Idaho because he liked potatoes? No, he went there as a springboard to a more high profile position, and he knew it, the school knew it, and the players should have known it (except for the fact that Erickson recruits players who are too dumb to tie their own shoes).

If Idaho really thought that Erickson meant to stay around, they would have signed him to a contract with a high buyout clause for leaving, similar to Charlie Weis' contract ($2 mil per season left). But, of course, no coach as proven as Erickson would ever sign such a deal with a struggling mid-major program. Mid-majors can either groom their own coaches internally and have a chance that they'll stick around for a while, or they can pick a high-profile, recently disgraced coach to make a splash and watch them leave. Idaho chose the latter; feeling sorry for them now is ridiculous.

On one hand, I think Dennis Erickson is a slimeball, but mostly for the way he coaches and the type of players he recruits. On the other hand, you can't argue with his results at the college level.

To argue that he left Idaho high and dry is to ignore the fact that Idaho knew this was going to happen when they hired him. Do you think Erickson went to coach Idaho because he liked potatoes? No, he went there as a springboard to a more high profile position, and he knew it, the school knew it, and the players should have known it (except for the fact that Erickson recruits players who are too dumb to tie their own shoes).

If Idaho really thought that Erickson meant to stay around, they would have signed him to a contract with a high buyout clause for leaving, similar to Charlie Weis' contract ($2 mil per season left). But, of course, no coach as proven as Erickson would ever sign such a deal with a struggling mid-major program. Mid-majors can either groom their own coaches internally and have a chance that they'll stick around for a while, or they can pick a high-profile, recently disgraced coach to make a splash and watch them leave. Idaho chose the latter; feeling sorry for them now is ridiculous.

Frankly, Idaho picked the guy up off the trash heap. No one was gonna touch the guy after the bomb job he did with the Niners (disinterested, looked bored, out of it). He owes them a little more than what they got for their trouble.

Frankly, Idaho picked the guy up off the trash heap. No one was gonna touch the guy after the bomb job he did with the Niners (disinterested, looked bored, out of it). He owes them a little more than what they got for their trouble.

Most colleges discount any bad experiences a guy's had in the pros when looking to hire a coach. That's why Lou Holtz could coach ND after bombing with the Jets, Gene Stallings could coach Bama after his experience with the Cardinals, Pete Carroll could coach USC after screwing up both the Jets and Pats, and Steve Spurrier is still a hot commodity after robbing the Redskins, just to name a few examples. Speaking of disinterested, bored, and out of it, Spurrier is a perfect example.

Erickson may be a scumbucket, but he doesn't owe Idaho anything.

Archived