Sabres Slug

NickNickNick

Any new thoughts on this thing? Anyone actually like it now?

The logo is neither here nor there for me. It's on my good side.

The jersey rocks. I absolutely love the way it looks on the ice, and if the prices on ebay weren't a ridiculous 300$ for a replica, I'd buy one.

Anyone else?

colors are growing on me... even though it's not royal and yellow, the colors aren't horrible... (though i could do without the silver)

on the other hand, the logo is still one of the worst i've ever seen in pro sports... and the uniforms are just silly. no other word to describe them.

i hate when teams wear uniforms that look like a new addition to the xmen...

People are sheep all right. Like 400 people jumping on the "hate the buffaslug" bandwagon, or putting a "B!" in their avatar when they have no idea what the B! is all about.

Sheeple. Yep.

This logo will only last as long as they're winning. As soon as they start losing (every team goes through highs and lows) fans will turn on it, and we'll either get the old crossed sabres/buffalo logo or an updated version of said logo.

From a fan who gets to see every game:

-The dark jerseys look really nice. Obviously the stronger of the two. The deep shade of blue is really nice, and the accents of gold and silver look really nice.

-The white jerseys just do not do it. The problem is that yellow or gold is a weak color for the main crest. What also is weak about this is that the "B-Sabre" logo on the shoulders look washed out as well. The helmets looks good, at least.

-The throwbacks basically stay true. Its too bad they can't change the helmets to be just plain white, or something like that.

-Also of note, the numbers on the front help a lot. I admit I'm a much more casual fan than a lot of my friends, so seeing the numbers on front assist me quite a bit. As dumb as it sounds, this will help the NHL's television friendliness once all teams have to have them.

Overall, its a change that has grown if put in the context of gold crest on blue jersey. I also feel that this overall package is stronger than the Ducks' new package, if only because it seems that a new log should be, you know, a logo and not a word mark. I know that the webbed 'D' will eventually be spun off into its own thing, but until that happens, its basically a wordmark and nothing more.

SI.com - Brian Cazeneuve - Inside Hockey - Around the rink

The Sabres' new jerseys haven't exactly met with universal applause, but they are a marketing gold mine. Though Crosby's Penguins jersey is the league's top seller, Buffalo's Maxim Afinogenov stood at No. 2 early this week and fellow Sabres Ryan Miller, Daniel Briere, Jason Pomenville and Chris Drury were all among the top eight.

Here's a novel idea. Your team name is the Sabres, how about putting a sword on the crest of your uniform. The slug is terrible and in a year or two this thing is gonna go the way of the Gorton's fisherman logo of the Islanders.

The jersey is still way too damn busy for my liking They have stripes every wear, and it almost seems like a jersey that you could dispose of in a couple of years (doesn't have the "timeless" aspect to it, but rather the Nike Total 90 type thing, where you know they will be replaced in 2 years, and that its design simply conforms to a stripes' fad)

SI.com - Brian Cazeneuve - Inside Hockey - Around the rink

The Sabres' new jerseys haven't exactly met with universal applause, but they are a marketing gold mine. Though Crosby's Penguins jersey is the league's top seller, Buffalo's Maxim Afinogenov stood at No. 2 early this week and fellow Sabres Ryan Miller, Daniel Briere, Jason Pomenville and Chris Drury were all among the top eight.

That really doesn't mean anything. The Mighty Ducks lead the league in merchandise sales for years, because kids loved the cartoon duck logo.

In this case the Sabres stuff is just selling because it's new, and most fans will always buy their team's new stuff even if it sucks. Also, the fact that they're winning doesn't hurt.

Overall, its a change that has grown if put in the context of gold crest on blue jersey. I also feel that this overall package is stronger than the Ducks' new package, if only because it seems that a new log should be, you know, a logo and not a word mark. I know that the webbed 'D' will eventually be spun off into its own thing, but until that happens, its basically a wordmark and nothing more.

Even when "put in context" it falls short.

Say what you want about the new Ducks look, but it looks like the classic Canadiens set when compared to the new Sabres look.

Yes, the new Ducks logo is a little plain, but when you get right down to it, it's better then the Buffaslug because it actually incorporates the team's name. The "D" is a duck's webbed foot, a perfect tie in for a team named the "Ducks." Also, the jerseys are very well done, and IMO would be more excepted if the Penguins didn't switch to Vegas gold a few years ago.

By contrast the Sabres new logo doesn't include sabres. Unlike the new Ducks logo, the Buffaslug fails to represent the name of the team. On top of that, it's a poorly drawn buffalo.

The jerseys aren't any better. The lack of stripes at the waist make them look like long sleeved t-shirts. Also, the way the sleeves are designed, you can barely see the yellow highlights. They also botched the alternate/throwback by adding numbers to the front.

I'm convinced Buffalo can do no right sports uniform-wise.

Archived