LA Clippers Logo

Coacher42

Not to thread jack but in the vain of the last post...

You don't see many NFL logos with footballs in them, yet people somehow figure out what sport it's associated with. There seems to be a tradition of sticking baseballs and basketballs into MLB and NBA logos, but a similar tradition of no equipment in NFL and NHL logos. Why so?

sf.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets have a football in their logo, Miami's logo is wearing a football helmet. The Browns use a helmet as their logo. Patriots used to have a football and so didn't the Eagles. The teams are so unique but well known as football teams that they don't exactly need the football or equipment in their logos to specify what sport they play. (Yes I know there used to be a Jets hockey team and god-willing another one some day but they did use a hockey stick in their logo)

You don't see many NFL logos with footballs in them, yet people somehow figure out what sport it's associated with. There seems to be a tradition of sticking baseballs and basketballs into MLB and NBA logos, but a similar tradition of no equipment in NFL and NHL logos. Why so?

heh, don't sweat it, besides I figure it's not possible to thread jack if it aint a concept :D

I figure I'll be making another withdrawal...so here goes:

current NBA logos with basketballs in them:

Bucks: secondary "antlers"

Pistons: main "name over ball" logo

Pacers: main "P-Pacers" and secondary "ring-P" logos

Cavaliers: main "ball, name and sword"

Knicks: primary "ball/name/triangle", tertiary "name over ball"

Celtics: primary "leprechaun"

Sixers: primary "76ers over ball", jersey wordmarks, secondary "star/76/streaking ball"

Raptors: primary (?) "ball-pawprint"...did they ditch the dinosaur logo yet? if they still have it, "ballin' dinosaur," complete with a uniformed raptor

Nets: primary "Nets shield", secondary "NJ shield"

Magic: primary "name over streaking ball" (the streaking ball itself is a secondary logo)

Hawks: primary "flying hawk"

Wizards: primary "leaping Wizard", secondary "dc"

Bobcats: secondary "ball/bobcat"

Heat: primary "fireball"

Warriors: primary "ball/superhero", secondary "ball/lightning bolt/W"

Kings: primary "coat of arms", secondary "SK shield"

Lakers: primary "name over ball", secondary "L-ball"

Clippers: primary "name over ball"

Suns: primary "rising sun", secondary "rising phoenix"

Blazers: secondary "blazing ball"

Sonics: primary "S-ball"

Jazz: primary "mountain ball/team name"

Nuggets: tertiary "pick axes" logo from third jersey

Mavericks: primary "horse/ball", tertiary "M-ball"

Grizzlies: secondary "claw ball"

Hornets: primary "dribbilng hornet"

no ball: Bulls, T-Wolves, Spurs, Rockets

then, NHL logos with hockey equipment

Islanders: stem of Y is a stick, with a nearby puck

Flyers: the orange circle in the P logo is said to be a puck

Penguins: skating penguin is wearing skates and gloves, and holds a stick

Panthers: shoulder crest has a stick crossing with a palm tree over a sun, and third jersey crest is the panther breaking a stick

Hurricanes: main logo uses a puck as the eye of the storm, and secondary logo has a storm flag attached to a stick

Capitals: "capital dome" has crossing sticks and a puck

Thrashers: "cereal bowl" thrasher holds stick, "flying T" has stick-like markings on underbelly

Sharks: the shark is biting through a stick

Kings: primary "crown" has crossing sticks at the apex, and secondary "coat of arms" has crossing sticks, along with a lion holding a stick

Blue Jackets: primary "CB" uses a stick, tertiary "Union hat" logo has crossing sticks on top of the hat

Avalanche: primary "mountain A" uses a puck

Canucks: secondary/throwback "rink C"...it's a rink with a stick in it

Oilers: secondary "oil man" holds a stick the wrong way

MLB logos with baseball equipment

Twins: main is team name over a baseball. secondary/throwback features a pair of uniformed players

White Sox: secondary "sock" is within a diamond

Tigers: do they still use that "tiger striped basepath" logo?

Yankees: Yankees script, with bat forming stem of K, and Uncle Sam hat over baseball

Red Sox: pair of red sox over baseball

Orioles: primary logo is Orioles script and oriole over infield

Rangers: Expos ripoff, T over baseball in circle

Mariners: baseball is part of compass rose used on primary, secondary logos and both uniform wordmarks

Brewers: primary "Brewers" logo has the script over a baseball, as does the road jersey's Milwaukee patch.

Cardinals: the single bird on bat, and the jersey's two birds on the bat

Pirates: pirate is placed over crossing bats. there is also a secondary logo of a jolly roger with bats replacing swords under the skull.

Reds: Mr. Red has baseball for a head and is in full uniform. also wields a bat.

Mets: their logo is a baseball with NYC skyline, Brooklyn Bridge and Mets script

Marlins: main logo is marlin over baseball

Nationals: main logo partially shows a baseball

Phillies: primary is baseball diamond with Liberty Bell and Phillies script; there is also a little used secondary featuring a streaking baseball and Phillies script

Giants: primary is Giants lettering over baseball

Padres: primary is home plate wtih Padres script and waves. secondary "swinging friar" is swinging a bat

Dodgers: primary is streaking baseball over Dodgers script

Rockies: primary is streaking baseball going over Rocky Mountains

for good measure, MLS crests which feature a soccer ball

Colorado Rapids: heh, it beats their Anyteam circle crest. new crest partially shows a soccer ball under the Rocky Mountains

DC United: soccer ball over star on eagle's chest

Revolution: ball made of stars serves as star field for American flag

Houston Dynamo: ball under DYNAMO (or over it...heh, I didn't pay attention)

Red Bull NY: bulls over ball, IIRC

Wizards: streaking ball

and finally, NFL logos that feature football equipment

Dolphins: dolphin wears a helmet. secondary version of dolphin also carries a football.

Jets: football under JETS.

Browns: football with striping and block B, assuming they still have it. I heard they're thinking of bringing their old elf back, he held a ball.

Raiders: raider wears a helmet

Giants: tertiary-giant Giants player in uniform about to throw a pass out of Giants Stadium

Buccaneers: football over the crossing swords on both the flag and ship logos

heh, that should do it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

heh, don't sweat it, besides I figure it's not possible to thread jack if it aint a concept :D

I figure I'll be making another withdrawal...so here goes:

current NBA logos with basketballs in them:

Bucks: secondary "antlers"

Pistons: main "name over ball" logo

Pacers: main "P-Pacers" and secondary "ring-P" logos

Cavaliers: main "ball, name and sword"

Knicks: primary "ball/name/triangle", tertiary "name over ball"

Celtics: primary "leprechaun"

Sixers: primary "76ers over ball", jersey wordmarks, secondary "star/76/streaking ball"

Raptors: primary (?) "ball-pawprint"...did they ditch the dinosaur logo yet? if they still have it, "ballin' dinosaur," complete with a uniformed raptor

Nets: primary "Nets shield", secondary "NJ shield"

Magic: primary "name over streaking ball" (the streaking ball itself is a secondary logo)

Hawks: primary "flying hawk"

Wizards: primary "leaping Wizard", secondary "dc"

Bobcats: secondary "ball/bobcat"

Heat: primary "fireball"

Warriors: primary "ball/superhero", secondary "ball/lightning bolt/W"

Kings: primary "coat of arms", secondary "SK shield"

Lakers: primary "name over ball", secondary "L-ball"

Clippers: primary "name over ball"

Suns: primary "rising sun", secondary "rising phoenix"

Blazers: secondary "blazing ball"

Sonics: primary "S-ball"

Jazz: primary "mountain ball/team name"

Nuggets: tertiary "pick axes" logo from third jersey

Mavericks: primary "horse/ball", tertiary "M-ball"

Grizzlies: secondary "claw ball"

Hornets: primary "dribbilng hornet"

no ball: Bulls, T-Wolves, Spurs, Rockets

then, NHL logos with hockey equipment

Islanders: stem of Y is a stick, with a nearby puck

Flyers: the orange circle in the P logo is said to be a puck

Penguins: skating penguin is wearing skates and gloves, and holds a stick

Panthers: shoulder crest has a stick crossing with a palm tree over a sun, and third jersey crest is the panther breaking a stick

Hurricanes: main logo uses a puck as the eye of the storm, and secondary logo has a storm flag attached to a stick

Capitals: "capital dome" has crossing sticks and a puck

Thrashers: "cereal bowl" thrasher holds stick, "flying T" has stick-like markings on underbelly

Sharks: the shark is biting through a stick

Kings: primary "crown" has crossing sticks at the apex, and secondary "coat of arms" has crossing sticks, along with a lion holding a stick

Blue Jackets: primary "CB" uses a stick, tertiary "Union hat" logo has crossing sticks on top of the hat

Avalanche: primary "mountain A" uses a puck

Canucks: secondary/throwback "rink C"...it's a rink with a stick in it

Oilers: secondary "oil man" holds a stick the wrong way

MLB logos with baseball equipment

Twins: main is team name over a baseball. secondary/throwback features a pair of uniformed players

White Sox: secondary "sock" is within a diamond

Tigers: do they still use that "tiger striped basepath" logo?

Yankees: Yankees script, with bat forming stem of K, and Uncle Sam hat over baseball

Red Sox: pair of red sox over baseball

Orioles: primary logo is Orioles script and oriole over infield

Rangers: Expos ripoff, T over baseball in circle

Mariners: baseball is part of compass rose used on primary, secondary logos and both uniform wordmarks

Brewers: primary "Brewers" logo has the script over a baseball, as does the road jersey's Milwaukee patch.

Cardinals: the single bird on bat, and the jersey's two birds on the bat

Pirates: pirate is placed over crossing bats. there is also a secondary logo of a jolly roger with bats replacing swords under the skull.

Reds: Mr. Red has baseball for a head and is in full uniform. also wields a bat.

Mets: their logo is a baseball with NYC skyline, Brooklyn Bridge and Mets script

Marlins: main logo is marlin over baseball

Nationals: main logo partially shows a baseball

Phillies: primary is baseball diamond with Liberty Bell and Phillies script; there is also a little used secondary featuring a streaking baseball and Phillies script

Giants: primary is Giants lettering over baseball

Padres: primary is home plate wtih Padres script and waves. secondary "swinging friar" is swinging a bat

Dodgers: primary is streaking baseball over Dodgers script

Rockies: primary is streaking baseball going over Rocky Mountains

for good measure, MLS crests which feature a soccer ball

Colorado Rapids: heh, it beats their Anyteam circle crest. new crest partially shows a soccer ball under the Rocky Mountains

DC United: soccer ball over star on eagle's chest

Revolution: ball made of stars serves as star field for American flag

Houston Dynamo: ball under DYNAMO (or over it...heh, I didn't pay attention)

Red Bull NY: bulls over ball, IIRC

Wizards: streaking ball

and finally, NFL logos that feature football equipment

Dolphins: dolphin wears a helmet. secondary version of dolphin also carries a football.

Jets: football under JETS.

Browns: football with striping and block B, assuming they still have it. I heard they're thinking of bringing their old elf back, he held a ball.

Raiders: raider wears a helmet

Giants: tertiary-giant Giants player in uniform about to throw a pass out of Giants Stadium

Buccaneers: football over the crossing swords on both the flag and ship logos

heh, that should do it.

wow, just, wow

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I was GOING to say the Twins' shaking-hands logo is far superior anyway and should be the main logo, and that the screwy stitches on the ball make it even more so.

Then I looked at the newer shaking-hands logo, and I had forgotten they put the new Twins logo inside the state of Minnesota ... and there it is, that ball with the screwy stitches.

Dammit, Carl Pohlad, you need to get your balls right.

yup, wow's the word. that many NBA teams feel the need to use a basketball in at least one logo...shoot, I was amazed myself when I looked the list over again.

and now a couple empty netters...

Australian Football League clubs whose logos include a football or footy-playing mascot:

Brisbane Lions: lion rests one paw on a football (heh, it looks more like a hotdog bun, but whatever)

Hawthorn: swooping hawk is holding a football in its talons

Kangaroos: new crest features kangaroo holding football

while clubs' championship videos have historically depicted a cartoon mascot on the cover, and the AFL maintains mascot logos, the teams themselves generally don't use them, though there have been exceptions.

CFL

Alouettes: primary: lark is in pads and carrying ball

Blue Bombers: primary W has a ball with a thunderbolt trailing it

Arena League

Kats: cat holds guitar and tosses up football

Soul: football wing/music note (I forget which one it's supposed to be)

heh, they the only two I can think of that have balls in their logos

NLL

Philadelphia Wings: lacrosse stick over Wings W (completely unnecessary IMO, the updated wing would have been more than enough)

Buffalo Bandits: bandit holding lacrosse stick

San Jose Stealth: stick-wielding ninja

Calgary Roughnecks: stick-wielding roughneck

Chicago Shamrox: "X" in "Shamrox" doubles as stick

Portland Lumberjax: lumberjack holds stick, and has caught a pass

Arizona Sting: scorpion holding stick

heh, for the NLL I had to go to Wikipedia cus the Wings, Bandits and Knighthawks are the last teams left from when I used to watch the MILL religiously...shoot, I hear little about either the Machine or the Shamrox. I'ma stop here cus I'm tired, yo.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I've been thinking on it, and I think it has to do with the primary identifier for a team.

In the NBA, MLB, and NHL you have something across the chest. In MLB and the NBA, it's a wordmark, so when it comes time to make the logo you present your team with, slapping that wordmark on a ball seems the logical step, it's what people know you with and its the sport you play. Simple and done. In hockey its a crest so equipment is rather unnesessary and in my opinion looks pretty cheesy when it is included. That shark just happened to see a hockey stick floating in the ocean and couldn't stand to see it whole anymore. Right.

Then with the NFL it's your helmet that is most recognizable, and because the helmet stickers are so small, you need to keep it simple for optimum visibility. Looking over the list you have two large mammals with helmets and you have two footballs that are arbitrarily thrown in.

Also the hockey sticks behind the crest like two swords behind a shield in olden days looks lame. Unless in an office somewhere, there is a shield emblazened with the Capitals crest with two hockey sticks behind in. Then that's the coolest thing ever. But none of these teams existed when swords were still in vogue, so you're just envoking lack of creativity.

sf.png

• 1 month later...

yup, wow's the word. that many NBA teams feel the need to use a basketball in at least one logo...shoot, I was amazed myself when I looked the list over again.

Good thing you didn't look at the NBDL...

Sorry about the bump, I'm trying to find something on past pages and that really drew my attention. EVERY team, 100% of them, in the NBDL have basketballs on their logos.

• 1 year later...

Not to offend any fans...but why do the LA Clippers even exist? I guess the Yankees overshadow the Mets somewhat, but there is no 2 team city where there is such an obvious inequity. Why would anyone be an LA Clipper fan rather than a Laker fan (besides the dubious moral character of the Lakers franchise...Celtics fan talking here). Seriously, is their existence merely to allow cheaper, lower-demand tickets for NBA fans who can't afford to see the Lakers?

Why do cities like Seattle lose their teams, and cities like KC, St Louis, or even San Diego not have franchises, while LA has a basically useless stepchild team like the Clippers? Is it all because of Sterling?

Man was it a sweet year when the Clippers were better than the Lakers though and we thought they were going in opposite directions! Could fan support ever shift if that were to happen again?

Not to offend any fans...but why do the LA Clippers even exist? I guess the Yankees overshadow the Mets somewhat, but there is no 2 team city where there is such an obvious inequity. Why would anyone be an LA Clipper fan rather than a Laker fan (besides the dubious moral character of the Lakers franchise...Celtics fan talking here). Seriously, is their existence merely to allow cheaper, lower-demand tickets for NBA fans who can't afford to see the Lakers?

Why do cities like Seattle lose their teams, and cities like KC, St Louis, or even San Diego not have franchises, while LA has a basically useless stepchild team like the Clippers? Is it all because of Sterling?

Man was it a sweet year when the Clippers were better than the Lakers though and we thought they were going in opposite directions! Could fan support ever shift if that were to happen again?

This is the "Sports Logos" board. The "Random Garbage Thoughts" board is somewhere else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is the "Sports Logos" board. The "Random Garbage Thoughts" board is somewhere else.

I may not have exactly spelled it out, but the point is that the LA Clippers have never had a strong brand identity, and I wonder if it is even possible for them to have a strong identity as a brand or as a team as long as they are in the Lakers shadow. That has plenty to do with Sports Logos.

i feel kind...betrayed. i never looked this closely at it before and now i feel like they tricked me into thinking it was just a bad logo, when really it is a bad and wrong logo.

That logo is bad and wrong. There should be a new word for it, like badwrong, or badong. That logo is badong!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I was thinking more along the lines of this...

LACsilly.gif

Awesome. :P But seriously, back when I was in like elementary/jr high, that's what I thought the Clippers were named after. It wasn't until high school that I found out that a Clipper was some sort of a boat. It didn't help that their logo was devoid of any sort of identifying symbols either. Granted, I'm not at all knowledgeable about anything nautical, so I assume people that grew up near a coast would probably know what a clipper was. Or are most people in the dark about the LA Clippers name origins as well?

The guy who designed the Mikan Memorial patch shoulda been wearing George's Coke bottle glasses!

Good call, except you have now further ruined the Clippers and Twins logos for another person...You SOB!! :cursing:

Seriously though, once you notice it, you can never go back.

Archived