Look what I bought

NickNickNick

I can't figure which was worse ... the L.A. Kings Thor, Wild Wing, or the New York Islanders Gorton's Fisherman!

Good, Better, Best.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm still looking for the "Storm at Sea" alt that the Lightning wore in 1997-98... I had a chance to get it when it was out, got the Kings away (home at the time) instead, and have been kicking myself ever since. That's probably my second favorite defunct jersey.

philly.png

This is the typical example of a jersey that I wouldn't be caught dead in when they were being worn by the team, but I'd love to have for a collection after they've gone by the wayside.

Get your Mooterus now before they disappear completely!

Congrats on the Wild Wing Alt. I can't believe you just got it in a store after 10 years. Was it on the rack at some kind of sporting goods store or was it treated as a collectable in a card shop or something? Any plans to customize it with Kariya or Selanne? They used a pretty funky font for the name and numbers called "Mistral" that would require someone really good to get right. Wouldn't want to mess that up by having the numbers done wrong.

KariyaWildWing.png

That red sublimated Canucks Bure #96 went for $140 on ebay in the end.

I'm kind of surprized when this kind of oddball & ugly jersey discussion comes up, that the Coyotes Alt doesn't get more mention. It's really a damn weird thing to behold.

JeffB - proud owner of the curious, strange and ugly;

Mighty Ducks Wild Wing Kariya "A" #9

LA Kings Burger King Gretzky "C" #99

Tampa Bay Storm Alt Lecavalier #8 (paintbrush numbers) w/1999 All-Star Patch

Tampa Bay Storm Alt Tucker #16 "A" (electric numbers) w/#12 Cullen patch

Islanders Fisherman Palffy #16 "A" w/Islanders 25th anniversary patch

Dallas Stars Mooterus Modano "C" #9

Phoenix Coyotes Peyote Green Alt Roenick #97 "A" w/NHL 2000 patch

Canucks Red Fade Alt Linden "C" #16

Canucks "V" Williams #22

Tampa Bay wore that jersey three years, 96-97 no patch, 97-98 Cullen patch and 98-99 All-Star patch, and for some reason they changed from the "dedicated" electric number font, that fit the lightning storm theme, to the standard home and away paintbrush number font partway through 98-99. If you look at the pictures on Getty Images, you can see they wore both number fonts the year they wore the all-star patch.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Niiiiiice. Yes, it's horrubly ugly, but that's the beauty of it, for the lack of a better term. I mean, who else has that jersey? Not many, that's who. Congrats, Nick.

yah Shumway that's exactly the way i look at it. i'd say to me that's the 3rd rarest jersey I've seen the 2nd being the kings alt from that year, and the never worn blue.

A little off topic but does anyone have a pick of the gold Stars alternate, i've seen the animated one but i mean the acutal jersey.

untitled-6.jpg

Niiiiiice. Yes, it's horrubly ugly, but that's the beauty of it, for the lack of a better term. I mean, who else has that jersey? Not many, that's who. Congrats, Nick.

yah Shumway that's exactly the way i look at it. i'd say to me that's the 3rd rarest jersey I've seen the 2nd being the kings alt from that year, and the never worn blue.

A little off topic but does anyone have a pick of the gold Stars alternate, i've seen the animated one but i mean the acutal jersey.

Has anyone ever seen an unused Blues alternate in person? I don't think they ever made it into any stores at any time.

"An infamous example is a third jersey planned to be used by the St. Louis Blues: an over-the-top mix of trumpets, musical notes and staffs, it was rejected by then-coach/GM Mike Keenan, who reportedly said that "this shirt is never going to be worn, ever". It never has: it currently sits framed in league offices, as a warning to teams designing third jerseys."

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived