Bruins vs. canadiens

1994Patriots

Im watching the Bruins-Canadiens game, and lo and behold, they're wearing throwbacks. Looks like the B's unis are from the 60s-70s (black), complete with the drawstring on the collar...pretty cool. The Canadiens are wearing white throwbacks with very RED numbers lol. Both teams have a "V" patch on the shoulder...don't know the significance of it, I haven't followed te NHL in awhile (ever since the B's started becoming cheap asses by not re-signing Bill Guerin and Byron DaFoe...but I digress...)

Cool unis!

From an article on espn.com...

"The Bruins wore two different sweaters during the game because of a delay in receiving the vintage jerseys they were scheduled to wear.

Boston began the game with its current black uniform, switching to its retro jerseys from the late 1960's and early 1970's after the first period.

The Canadiens wore vintage jerseys from the 1945-46 season, the team's shortlived first version of a white sweater."

And also...

"Bruins assistant general manager Jeff Gorton brought the retro jerseys on a flight from Boston"

Link: ESPN.com

--RedSoxMLB14

The story gets a little more interesting...

"The Bruins arrived with their white vintage jerseys for the game, in light of the NHL's decision to have teams wear their dark colors at home. But when the Canadiens came out in white jerseys, the Bruins were forced to wear their regular black jerseys for the first period. The vintage black jerseys, which arrived separately from the team, were delayed on their way to the rink."

Link: BostonBruins.com

--RedSoxMLB14

Yeah, when I was watching the second period, I didn't even notice the switch until 1/2 through the period. That is weird. I also noticed (being a regular visitor of this boad) that the NHL mandates dark sweaters at home, white on the road. I would have thought that the B's would wear white throwbacks since they were on the road, and the Habs would wear red. Hmmm...mayne when Montreal comes to the FleetCenter, they'll wear red throwbacks, thus giving the B's a chance to wear their white throwbacks, as they were "supposed" to hve done so tonight.

BTW...anyone know where I can get a good deal on one of these black B's throwbacks?

I always love to see two origonal six teams duke it out, the old unis just make it all the more special. I'm surpruized this mix-up hasn't happened more often

---------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more! The worst thing that Boston has done was change from there Classic Original Six solid white/solid black uniforms in favor of there current expansion team home/away uniforms. Oh and what else amazes me is when when Boston and Montreal meet up, Boston has the balls to throw on it's Winnie The Pooh 3rd jersey -- Ach!!

The Bruin marketing dept. has turned this Original Six franchise into a Walt Disney World franchise.

Archived