Any info on NFL uniform rules?

Blue Falcon

I've heard that the NFL has some rule stating that a team cannot wear pants that are the same color as the jerseys, unless they are both white. Now I don't have an NFL rulebook handy, but does anyone else?

If it's true, why does the NFL allow the inmates to run the asylum? I'm SICK of these monochrome Bills/Jets/Bengals/Saints/Jaguars/Seahawks/Titans/Broncos/Falcons/Cardinals/Rams monstrosities. Those unis belong in the NCAA, not the NFL. :cursing:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Well, (I think) technicallly you can't take the field if your uniform isn't "correct" and players all over are wearing socks with little or no white showing (and some candy stripes like Hester and Taylor did). Taylor even customized his face mask with tape and it took a few games before they said he wouldn't play. The socks go on weekly with no punishment.

It seems some rules are just not enforced or enforced hard.

KISSwall09.jpg

On the NFL socks, are they 2 different/seperate pieces of sock, one on top of the other? I think I noticed it the other day in the Bears game i think i watching, never noticed that before?

Then if the rule is you need white showing, then make all the socks one sock, rather than layered.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I've heard that the NFL has some rule stating that a team cannot wear pants that are the same color as the jerseys, unless they are both white.

Oh how I wish this were true---I absolutely HATE color monochrome uniforms- especially my Seahawks all blue- with they would wear white pants at home.

On the NFL socks, are they 2 different/seperate pieces of sock, one on top of the other? I think I noticed it the other day in the Bears game i think i watching, never noticed that before?

Then if the rule is you need white showing, then make all the socks one sock, rather than layered.

Its one sock. The foot plus about 4 inches or so is white while the top is team color. This is the "basic" nfl sock. Some colleges wear them as well, but most either go low sock or solid color. Some teams have stripes which would I guess be more "traditional" as stripes have been around longer. They are just like the soccer socks you see with designs in them. The two colors are actually stitched into the socks.

The socks come in sizes, which I guess all socks do, but because of hte size of some players, they have I think 3 different sizes and they go by player heights. See here:

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/advancedSea...yword=game+sock

This is how some players can wear the "High whites". A corner back will get a huge ol' linemen's sock (6'-6'2") on their 5' 9" frame and it'll pull all the way up. Low whites the exact opposite. If you wear the correct size, the stripe should end just below the calf, and the sock should end just about mid knee.

Some players modify their socks, go "low whites" or "high whites", or wear a second pair to stand out. This is not the norm, I'd say it happens once a game where a player is wearing socks blatenly incorrect. Its kinda the low socks/high socks thing you've got over there for Aussie Rules, except here that's against the rules.

I've heard that the NFL has some rule stating that a team cannot wear pants that are the same color as the jerseys, unless they are both white.

Oh how I wish this were true---I absolutely HATE color monochrome uniforms- especially my Seahawks all blue- with they would wear white pants at home.

I think they should have silver pants instead. When they wear the white pants with dark tops it looks awkward...but then again so does the monochrome look. I predict a change in the near future.

On at least a few occasions, I've seen skin showing between the white and colored portion of a players sock, meaning that some players do where two-pieces, with the top being kind of like a leg-warmer. In colleges (and HS), I've seen players wearing colored tights, with white socks pulled over them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On at least a few occasions, I've seen skin showing between the white and colored portion of a players sock, meaning that some players do where two-pieces, with the top being kind of like a leg-warmer. In colleges (and HS), I've seen players wearing colored tights, with white socks pulled over them.

I've seen both Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis do that. In those instances, the black portion of the sock was two pieces. I don't have any pictures available at the moment. I will add them if I track any down.

EDIT --

Bettis

972005Jerome_Bettis_steelers-sm.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've seen both Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis do that. In those instances, the black portion of the sock was two pieces. I don't have any pictures available at the moment. I will add them if I track any down.

EDIT --

Bettis

Some of us guys just have really fat-ass calves, and the sock won't go any higher.

nav-logo.png

When they wear the white pants with dark tops it looks awkward...but then again so does the monochrome look.

It doesn't look awkward............its only because you've never hardly ever seen them in that combo. If you saw that on a consistant basis, you would not think that way. They've only wore the blue jerseys with white pants 5 times in there history with a 3-2 record in that combo. They look like the Eagles uniforms except blue. No one seemed to think the blue and white togather looked odd when they worn the blue pant and white jerseys. Thankfully they don't wear the blue pants with the white jerseys anymore.

Brian Mitchell explained one time that he used to wear one sock, then have the equipment manager sew the upper 1/3 of another sock to the bottom of his pants. He did that so he wouldn't expose his legs. It appears that The Bus did the same thing.

Archived