Marlins unveil 10th anniversary of '97 Championship patch

marlinfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patches I accept are 10 year, 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50, etc. I hate that some teams have had 5 year patches. If you want to commemorate a championship 10 years ago, go ahead. If you want to put a patch on rubbing it in the faces of the other teams that you are the champions go ahead. I will say that if you're celebrating 25 years in a stadium, then next year don't celebrate something else. I swear I think in the early to mid ninties the Dodgers had a patch every year.

I like the color scheme of the patch and I like the patch itself. Now only if the patch was worn for a real reason. Celebrating the anniversary of a championship is not one of them. Especially if you have more than one championship and your team history is not that long. Patch should be worn for as team logo, rememberence of an old player that past, real team anniversaries such as 25 years in the leauge or 25 years of a stadium. Even where wear a patch for the closing of a stadium and openning of a stadium, but a patch for the anniversary of a championship is DUMB, PERIOD!

If the Marlins did not win the World Series in 2003, then I would accept this patch since that would honor their only world championship. But, they have two titles in their almost 15-year history, so celebrating the 10th anniversary of your first World Series title doesn't make sense to me.

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for $3,000. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."

-Bob Uecker

I still think its pretty funny that a relatively brand new franchise (i.e. less than 20 years) has won more championships than the Red Sox and Cubs combined in the last 70 or more years.

I would hang myelf if I was a Cubs fan.

BTW, when is the Cubs' "Steve Bartman 10th-Man Anniversary" patch due? 2008?

I'm more interested in the Cubs' 100-year anniversary patch of their last WS title in 2008.....

Black stripe on the sleeve for all of the Cubs fans that died due to the teams letdowns.

:shocked: owned :shocked:

ATL

A - No teal to commemorate a time when the Marlins actually DID wear teal

B - There is already a gigantic 1997/2003 W.S. Champions banner in the outfield so what's the point?

C - It has only been 10 years for cryin' out loud!

D - Is it like anyone will actually see this? This is a waste of money and will not bring fans to the park.

:cursing: LORIA!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Patches I accept are 10 year, 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50, etc. I hate that some teams have had 5 year patches. If you want to commemorate a championship 10 years ago, go ahead. If you want to put a patch on rubbing it in the faces of the other teams that you are the champions go ahead. I will say that if you're celebrating 25 years in a stadium, then next year don't celebrate something else. I swear I think in the early to mid ninties the Dodgers had a patch every year.

How do you feel about a team having a patch to commemorate 25 years ago when they didn't win a championship?

Save the slugalo.

97wsjf5.png

Why does this team continue to incorporate more orange than teal?

Im suprised it didnt incorporate a picture of Indians dunce-closer Jose Mesa on there......... his face in there somewhere would have been appropriate.

Unfortunately, the Marlins are desperate. They have a deteriorating fan base. Ownership that is unwilling to invest in payroll (fyi the Marlins make nearly 70 mil including revenue sharing, tv, etc. before selling a ticket). And a stadium, we have been down that road too many times. They need something positive to draw upon. As for the orange, they play in an orange stadium with some teal. So if they are going to plaster the logo/patch around the stadium it actually fits well. Who knows may be they will introduce a new cap that has a teal crown with an orange bill (ha-ha)

It's been rumoured that the Marlins are changing their uniform, with all this increased orange and teal in the color scheme, it's pretty obvious to where they'll be going.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

The Twins had something really dumb a few years ago, like celebrating that they won the AL pennant 35 years ago.

It was their 40th anniversary of their AL pennant. I think they only did it because they were playing the Dodgers in interleague that year.

On a side note, I would have loved if they commemorated something between the Twins and Braves' first game against each other since the '91 series in 2002. But then the teams made the best tribute to the '91 series: the Twins winning the game in 15 innings. :D

sportsbanner-single.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

for a team with no deep history or tradition they sure like celebrating aniversaries alot.you expect to see these types of things from teams like the cubs,A's,Giants,red sox,cardinals and espically THE YANKEES.

and also their 1997 team isnt considered to be the best team in baseball history in terms of W.S champs, ill understand the purpose of this was if the 1997 team was in the ranks of the murderer's row, the A's in the 70's or the yankees of 1998 but they're not.

its like every year they going to have a patch celebrating or paying tribute towards something.

i guess they going to have a anniversary patch next year(2008 season) for being in Miami for all these years. :rolleyes:

for a team with no deep history or tradition they sure like celebrating aniversaries alot.you expect to see these types of things from teams like the cubs,A's,Giants,red sox,cardinals and espically THE YANKEES.

and also their 1997 team isnt considered to be the best team in baseball history in terms of W.S champs, ill understand the purpose of this was if the 1997 team was in the ranks of the murderer's row, the A's in the 70's or the yankees of 1998 but they're not.

its like every year they going to have a patch celebrating or paying tribute towards something.

i guess they going to have a anniversary patch next year(2008 season) for being in Miami for all these years. :rolleyes:

Teams that win a lot (like the Yanks, A's, Cards, etc) don't NEED the patches, because the patches are meant to invoke good feelings for the team by harkening back to when they were good. Those teams that win a lot typically are perennially good teams.

I believe the Marlins had a "10th anniversary in Florida" patch back in '03, if someone wants to look that up.

EDIT: Here it is:

FLA_1023.gif

Also, I think the "100 year anniversary" patch for the last Cubs championship is an absolutely fantastic idea, although I doubt anyone in Chicago has enough of a sense of humor to make it happen.

I still think its pretty funny that a relatively brand new franchise (i.e. less than 20 years) has won more championships than the Red Sox and Cubs combined in the last 70 or more years.

I would hang myelf if I was a Cubs fan.

BTW, when is the Cubs' "Steve Bartman 10th-Man Anniversary" patch due? 2008?

Also, the Marlins have won 2 World Titles, but have never won a division championship. I find that odd as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived