Stagg Bowl XXXIV

Discrim

http://www.d3football.com/

heh, it was a tale of two halves. Like last year, the main difference between Mount Union and Whitewater's play was mistakes: my Hawks made way too many, and Mount made us pay. Like last year, too many missed opportunities on offense. Mostly, though, Mount was just flat out better today, especially with that Micheli kid in there. Heh, I think I heard the rest of Mount's conference groaning. :censored:, I'm wondering why that Pierre Garcon mug aint playing for FSU or Miami, he's that good.

heh, going 28-2 over two seasons is impressive in itself, and I can deal with the only two losses being to Mount Union, cus I still remember watching with my own eyes, Mount just killing Whitewater back in 02. Complete domination, like a tank against a dixie cup. Heh, this year was simply two tanks, one misfiring on a lot of cylinders today. Heh, I believed this about 02 Mount and I believe it about 06 Mount: if they got to play against Ohio State, it'd be one hell of a game. Mount Union, I tip my hat to you, the landlords of the Stagg Bowl.

D3 football...gotta love it B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I never played Mt. Union, My college didn't play them in any sports I was a spectator in while I was there (they did lose to them in 2005 in the playoffs though) but I found myself rooting against them so much today. To win 9 of the last 13 (I think) D3 championships is impressive...and annoying.

Congrats to Mt. Union anyway, and congrats to UW-W for getting there twice in a row. I love D3 football. True student-athletes only playing for the love of the game. No scholarships, no special treatment, just football and school. You've got to love that.

That WR is probably in D3 because he also is in track. Alot of times an athlete might be good enough to make it D1 in a sport, but he/she wants to play more than one sport. I don't know too many D1 football programs that allow that to non-superstar players. I know had I been able to go D1 in a sport, but not play my other sport, I'd seriously consider going to a smaller school.

I should have went to the game yesterday. Salem's stadium is 5 min from my house. I met some folks while in town yesterday from both schools. Same rabid fans as with D-1 schools without the arrogance and attitude. Everyone I met from MU and WW were extremely polite and cordial.

I hope the folks I spoke to found the windbreakers and sweatshirts they were looking for or it would have been a long day for them wearing ski parkas with a 66 degree kickoff temp :)

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Useless trivia. WR #81 J.J. Ditz for Mount Union is from the area I live in. I watched a little of the game but didn't see him. He played at the same school Charlie Frye did. It's about 3 miles from my house. The funny thing about it is the school is all about basketball. Football is an afterthought there.

9 of 13 is ridiculously impressive. Mount Union is right in the heart of the football craziest part of Ohio. My guess is they make their living just picking up all the guys from the local powerhouse High School teams that are too small or slow for D-1 etc. There's a lot of talent right in their back yard. Congrats to them but it's getting a little old. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Is it too much to ask for a team from Wisconsin to win one more f***in championship in my lifetime? A D3 title at that? :cursing:

Not to jack this thread ::steppin' on to my soapbox::, but it's interesting to me that the WIAC (Wisconsin Intercol. Athletic Conf.) teams show up in the Stagg Bowl almost as often as Mount Union. IMO, that's because Madison (Wisconsin) has made damn sure that kids from Wisconsin wanting to play college ball have only 3 options... Madison, D3 ball, or leave the state. So you have teams like Whitewater and La Crosse that have a bunch of players that could easily play in 1A/AA or D2, but chose to stay closer to home. Methinks it's time Madison got off their high horse and let Milwaukee and/or UWGB establish teams for the sake of these kids.

There are rumours that Whitewater is gonna try to jump to D2 once they upgrade their facilites and take at least a couple of the WIAC schools (most likely La Crosse and Oshkosh or Point) with them to make the move feasible. (Right now, Whitewater's closest D2 opponents would be in Southern Illinois and Northern Minnesota).

Speaking of moving up... Mount Union... you have absolutely nothing left to prove in D3. Time to step up into D2. We got a spot in the GLIAC (and an instant rivalry with Grand Valley) waitin' on you.

brew.png

Is it too much to ask for a team from Wisconsin to win one more f***in championship in my lifetime? A D3 title at that? :cursing:

Not to jack this thread ::steppin' on to my soapbox::, but it's interesting to me that the WIAC (Wisconsin Intercol. Athletic Conf.) teams show up in the Stagg Bowl almost as often as Mount Union. IMO, that's because Madison (Wisconsin) has made damn sure that kids from Wisconsin wanting to play college ball have only 3 options... Madison, D3 ball, or leave the state. So you have teams like Whitewater and La Crosse that have a bunch of players that could easily play in 1A/AA or D2, but chose to stay closer to home. Methinks it's time Madison got off their high horse and let Milwaukee and/or UWGB establish teams for the sake of these kids.

There are rumours that Whitewater is gonna try to jump to D2 once they upgrade their facilites and take at least a couple of the WIAC schools (most likely La Crosse and Oshkosh or Point) with them to make the move feasible. (Right now, Whitewater's closest D2 opponents would be in Southern Illinois and Northern Minnesota).

Speaking of moving up... Mount Union... you have absolutely nothing left to prove in D3. Time to step up into D2. We got a spot in the GLIAC (and an instant rivalry with Grand Valley) waitin' on you.

Stevens Point needs to expand Goerke Stadium (I think it only seats about 3,500 at present) to make a jump to D2 work, but given the success of their athletics they could do it. Oshkosh, LaCrosse, and Whitewater are no-brainers to move up, even though Whitewater's gym is a bit small. Even Platteville could conceivably do it, given their success in basketball and 10,000-seat football stadium. It'll be interesting to see what happens when North Dakota and South Dakota (and possibly Nebraska-Omaha) make the jump to D-1, the North Central Conference would be left with only four full-time members, making a merger with the Northern Sun conference likely. I could see Wisconsin's teams fitting in there easily.

QPR%20Sig.png

Hmmm... I didn't know that about the Dakota's and UN-O (but it makes sense, given that hockey is UND's and UN-O's main sport). And the Northern Sun would be a perfect fit for the UW schools, especially La Crosse and Platteville.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope that Madison doesn't find a way to eff this up...

What's the minimum capacity for a D2 football stadium, BTW?

brew.png

Hmmm... I didn't know that about the Dakota's and UN-O (but it makes sense, given that hockey is UND's and UN-O's main sport). And the Northern Sun would be a perfect fit for the UW schools, especially La Crosse and Platteville.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope that Madison doesn't find a way to eff this up...

What's the minimum capacity for a D2 football stadium, BTW?

Not sure if there's a minimum capacity, but I think there may be minimum attendance requirements for D2. Some of the larger stadiums are 12-15,000 capacity (especially for the Gulf South and former NCC schools), some of the smaller ones are about 3-4,000 capacity.

The smaller towns should have no problem fulfilling attendance requirements, the only real competition they get is from high school football (heck, SPASH and UWSP share the same stadium).

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived