Agent Zero.

NDwas

So Kobe shoots 60 and we're all supposed to kiss his ass but a player NOT playing for the Lakers does it and he's just being selfish?

Bull :censored:.

Good job Gilbert.

I posted thoughts consistent with mine on Arenas in the thread about Kobe's 81 some time back. That didn't mean anything to me, either.

I didn't say anything to you. :P

I'm just sayin...that thread wasn't a total Kobe lovefest.

By the way, I'm surprised it took this long, so I'll do the honors...

Arenas: "Why did I have such an amazing game, Arnie?"

Arnie: "'Cause you're Gilbert."

gilbertgrape.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a fair statement to say that today's NBA focuses more on individual matchups than overall team play in comparison to, say, the Bob Cousy era.

This is unfortunate.

However, that's the way the game is. Put the ball in the hands of the player best able to score. Hockey would more than likely be the same way if players were unable to hit one another (to separate them from the puck) and could have a more firm grip on the puck.

That fact, along with the fact that statistical outcomes are often very good at evaluating the effectiveness of a player, seem to contribute to the perception that basketball players are selfish.

However, I sense there's a culture in basketball unlike in other sports. Let's call it the "hip-hop culture," not as a derogatory term towards fans of the particular style of music, but as a term describing the overall set of values. Those values include independence, toughness, achievement... and unfortunately, those often extend into selfishness and greed.

I think it's a failure of the coaching in sports, from young ages onward, that coaches are unable to instill in their players the values of teamwork and collective achievement, becoming the player who makes those around him better. These values need to especially be reinforced among those players who are up-and-comers.

Fortunately, we have seen the emergence of a few players who may be changing that view. Guys like Steve Nash and Chris Paul, who are just as likely, if not more likely, to drop 10-15 dimes as they are to hit 30 points. Look at LeBron's stats too - he isn't just scoring 26-30 a game, he's also dishing about 6-8 assists a game from the SF spot.

So hopefully the tide is turning. It was great to watch Michael Jordan, a man unmatched in his ability to score, tear up the court, but MJ's are rare, and the game gets boring when a bunch of guys who think they're Mike (but don't have the skills to match) just go at it all game.

Maybe we'll start to see more Steve Nashes, Chris Pauls, and (heaven forbid) Jason Kidds (sorry, a bit of an anti-Nets bias showing through) in the future. I personally wouldn't be against that.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, Your 2006-07 NBA MVP,Gilbert Arenas.

Most outstanding, possibly. But don't you have to do something besides improve your team from the lottery into first-round losers in order to be the most VALUABLE?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Ladies and gentlemen, Your 2006-07 NBA MVP,Gilbert Arenas.

Most outstanding, possibly. But don't you have to do something besides improve your team from the lottery into first-round losers in order to be the most VALUABLE?

Unless you're Ryan Howard ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think Gilbert Arenas is the MVP, at this point at least, he's been too inconsistent to be the MVP so far. Right now I'd go with Carlos Boozer but I doubt he'll be the MVP come the end of the year.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

FreeDarko has an interesting write-up on this, considering what it means to the Mamba and to many brains in the Association. though the site's patron saint may be Orlando's #31, Gilbert is definitely that (absolutely amazing) blog's chosen avatar because he plays the game loose, fun and freewheeling - the Suns and Amare' are FD faves too, btw.

given the garbage surrounding him in Washington, and the general state of affairs in the East (this is where I'm wishing the Blazers were in Portland, Maine and not Portland, Oregon for once in my life - they might be a 5 seed right now) if Agent Zero can get that team into the playoffs, who knows what can happen. Too bad he ran into LeBron in the first round last year - c'mon, we all know that was Baby 23's First Playoff Series Win, it could be nothing but...

harperdc.gif

he said after the game "one down, one to go" regarding topping Jerry Colangelo's Suns last night - apparently Agent Zero holds a grudge regarding being cut from the USA team last summer.

the other coach he wants to rub it in the face of? the Blazer's Nate McMillan, one of the assistants to head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Agent Zero versus the Blazers should prove amusing.

harperdc.gif

The Wizards are 12-11 this year.

They are 112-134 since Arenas' arrival (entering this year) and never reached further than the second round of the playoffs with him.

But bully for him and his individual accolades. Dude's gotta get his, that's the important thing.

The Wizards have a better record than last year's champions.

The Wizards were 97-153 in the 3 years before Arenas came and hadn't reached the playoffs since 1997. Two of those three years the Wizards had a guy that won 6 NBA titles and couldn't get them to the playoffs.

But it's painfully evident the Wizards have gone downhill since his arrival, I mean yeah he gets 60 points but how many assists did he have? Eight? Pathetic. Gilbert Arenas: a real Starbury.

I do agree that Arenas really should have more assists since he is a PG (in last nights game he had no assists until the end of the 4th quarter). However you can't blame the Wizard's lack of success on him. The team's never had a legimate big man. That is what they need to be be a legimate contender. Jamison is decent but his more of a SF, not much of an inside offensive threat. One of the biggest mistakes I've thought the Wizards made was not to trade Larry Hughes for a big man in his last season with the team. Juan Dixon was more than capable of stepping in as starter. I'm not sure if they could have gotten anything good for him, but I don't even think they looked into the option. It might have hurt them in the playoffs later that season, but it would have been better for their future. Plus they haven't had a decent draft pick to draft and develop a C or PF. I'd like to see a true big man in the lineup before I blame Arenas for the Wizards lack of playoff success.

Gilbert Arenas is the reason that team even makes the playoffs.

And, to whoever said it earlier, how many teams make it out of the second round anyways? LBJ has never been to the conference finals, and nobody would say he isn't helping the Cavs.

LBJ has never been to the conference finals, and nobody would say he isn't helping the Cavs.

Not only is LBJ not helping the Cavs, he's not helping anyone in the United States anymore.

Lyndon Banes Johnson has been dead since 1973.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

LBJ has never been to the conference finals, and nobody would say he isn't helping the Cavs.

Not only is LBJ not helping the Cavs, he's not helping anyone in the United States anymore.

Lyndon Banes Johnson has been dead since 1973.

Oh, c'mon...

From what I hear, LBJ had some trouble adjusting to life after the Presidency. Supposedly, he had meeting with his farmhands to discuss how to feed the animals on his farm.

The more you know...

• 4 weeks later...

Did you see how he turned away, as he knew it was going down. Nice.

He did the same thing when he beat the Bucks, its scary how good the man is in the clutch*. Not to mention Arenas is 10-10 on shots beyond 30 ft. Nash will probably beat out Arenas for MVP and I'm ok with that, but can someone please explain how Vince Carter has more votes than Mr. Hibachi?

*-Excluding Game 6, which I still refuse to believe happened.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived