NFL Punt Rules

The Nation

Hey, I know on a kickoff the kicking team can recover possession even when the opposing team hasn't touched the ball, they can still recover possession if they were the last team to knock it out of bounds, when neither team had possession. But what about punts, can the kicker recover the ball? Can he go down the field and pick up the ball when no one has touched it and take it down field for a TD??

No, unless the ball has not crossed the neutral zone/line of scrimmage.

If someone on the kicking team is the first to touch a live punt, it's considered an illegal touching. The receiving team my try to return the punt, and even if it's fumbled and they lose possession, the ball goes back to the spot where it was illegally touched by the kicking team.

If the receiving team touches the ball first, but does not secure possession of it, it's fair game for anyone to recover, as evidenced in the KC-SD game.

You also seem to be confused on kickoffs. If a kickoff goes out of bounds before touched by the receiving team, it's an illegal procedure penalty on the kicking team. If it touches someone on the receiving team first, then goes out of bounds, then possession goes to the receiving team at the out of bounds spot.

However, once a kickoff has traveled 10 yards, it may be recovered by either team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

XFL allowed live punts. I don't think anyone else does or ever has.

I honestly thought it was kinda cool to have a live punt in the XFL. You saw early punts sometimes with teams trying to recover the ball. Almost like kicking the ball forward in rugby. Its not really football, but it made for some entertaining punts. One of the few things that was neat in my eyes for that league.

No, unless the ball has not crossed the neutral zone/line of scrimmage.

If someone on the kicking team is the first to touch a live punt, it's considered an illegal touching.

By "live" you mean it's been blocked or some such, right?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

If the ball is blocked/tipped and doesn't cross the neutral zone, it's fair game for anyone to recover, but if the kicking team recovers, it still needs to be advanced to the line-to-gain to be a first down.

If the ball is blocked/tipped and crosses the line of scrimmage, the rules hold as if it were a clean punt, and the kicking team may not recover it until it has touched someone on the receiving team first.

I honestly thought it was kinda cool to have a live punt in the XFL. You saw early punts sometimes with teams trying to recover the ball. Almost like kicking the ball forward in rugby. Its not really football, but it made for some entertaining punts. One of the few things that was neat in my eyes for that league.

That is one thing I do miss about the XFL. It brought a different dimension to the game.

That is one thing I do miss about the XFL. It brought a different dimension to the game.

exactly, it's nice to have an alternative, I want the AFl to return and be just as well run as the NFL, then we can have not only teams competeting for players but leagues competeing, more competition equals better product for the fans

untitled-6.jpg

ok, well if its a clean punt, and it crosses the line of scrimmage, can the punter go down and recover to give his team possession?

Allow me to quote myself...

If someone on the kicking team is the first to touch a live punt, it's considered an illegal touching.

What is the neutral zone, is that like a certain distance it has to be kicked, like 20metres or something like that?

The neutral zone is the space in between the offensive and defensive lines before the ball is snapped. What he's saying about the ball going past the neutral zone is basically the ball going past the line of scrimmage. If a player is penalized for offsides on a play, it'll often be called a 'neutral zone infraction'. Hope that helps.

IUe6Hvh.png

yes along with..

a_xfltv_i.jpg

camera men on the field <_<

QUOTE(Alphabet Man @ Friday, December 22nd, 2006 - 02:58:25) quotecWhat is the neutral zone, is that like a certain distance it has to be kicked, like 20metres or something like that?QuoteEndQuoteEEndThe neutral zone is the space in between the offensive and defensive lines before the ball is snapped. What he's saying about the ball going past the neutral zone is basically the ball going past the line of scrimmage. If a player is penalized for offsides on a play, it'll often be called a 'neutral zone infraction'. Hope that helps.

It sure does, thanks for that. I know there is a distance the ball has to be kicked from a kick-off, but is there a distance it has to be kicked when its punt?

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

It sure does, thanks for that. I know there is a distance the ball has to be kicked from a kick-off, but is there a distance it has to be kicked when its punt?

no, not really. don't matter if it's one yard or it's punted clear outta the stadium, the only way the kicking team can advance a punt is if the returnman muffs or fumbles it, or one of the return teamers somehow lets the ball touch him. I tell ya, I remember where I was when Wisconsin was about to beat Michigan back in 01. Michigan was punting, and I was thinkin all the Badgers needed to do was run the clock out. the returner decided to let it bounce, but a freshman who was back to block for him must've had a hot date or somethin on tap, cus he looked lost, like he had no idea where the ball was. sure enough, the ball hit him and you could pretty much say "Merry Christmas Michigan!"

man...UW could beat Michigan 50 straight times and I'd never forget that loss.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

no, not really. don't matter if it's one yard or it's punted clear outta the stadium, the only way the kicking team can advance a punt is if the returnman muffs or fumbles it, or one of the return teamers somehow lets the ball touch him. I tell ya, I remember where I was when Wisconsin was about to beat Michigan back in 01. Michigan was punting, and I was thinkin all the Badgers needed to do was run the clock out. the returner decided to let it bounce, but a freshman who was back to block for him must've had a hot date or somethin on tap, cus he looked lost, like he had no idea where the ball was. sure enough, the ball hit him and you could pretty much say "Merry Christmas Michigan!"

man...UW could beat Michigan 50 straight times and I'd never forget that loss.

A muff cannot be advanced by the kicking team, only recovered to gain possession. The difference between a muff and a fumble is that on a muff, the receiver never has possession of the ball, it goes through his hands or just touches any part of a member of the receiving team.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So what would happen in this situation:

Team A punts in to Team B. It lands on Team B's 6 yard line after glancing off the hands on a Team B kick returner. It rolls into the endzone and a member of Team A lands on it. Is it a touchback or a touchdown?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

So what would happen in this situation:

Team A punts in to Team B. It lands on Team B's 6 yard line after glancing off the hands on a Team B kick returner. It rolls into the endzone and a member of Team A lands on it. Is it a touchback or a touchdown?

Touchdown; possession of a muff was gained by the kicking team in the endzone. The ball was not advanced, but rather "fumbled" backward. This is evident during on-side kicks. If the receiving team touches the ball first, and it's then recovered by the kicking team, they get is wherever they recover it, not where it was touched.

If a player muffs a punt or kickoff and it rolls out of bounds, the receiving team retains possession at the spot the ball went out of bounds (forward or backward).

If a player muffs a punt or kickoff that rolls through his own endzone, it is a touchback and the receiving team gets the ball at the 20 yard line.

Save the slugalo.

Archived