thrift store gems '07

Discrim

I know, it's still '06, but lemme tell ya what I dug up while perusing the local Goodwill today: a 94-95 Starter Jerome Bettis Rams home replica, size 54. Heh, I passed up a late 80s Canucks road sweater about 7 years ago (the V shoulders) and I'm still kickin myself about that, so I said to myself "I gotta grab this one cus if I don't, someone else will." Heh, the only noticeable error's that BETTIS is gold and somewhat thick, as opposed to regular white block letters (it's kinda funny when I think about it: the Bus went from a team that wears white names and gold numbers, to a team that wears gold names and white numbers).

edit: crap, thanks dsgitlin, forgot to do that...$5 and it's in pretty good shape for a 10-year old replica B) and pat, I aint go to the village today, and I don't go there as much as I used to, so I don't know what was half price (heh, one thing I prefer about the Village over Goodwill, another being it's much closer to my house.)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find, but you forgot to list the price.

A few years ago, I found an awesome 100% polyester ASA (American Softball Association) jersey with "WORTZMAN" in big bold letters across the front for something like $4 or so. I don't know what happened to the jersey, but I loved that shirt.

I know, it's still '06, but lemme tell ya what I dug up while perusing the local Goodwill today: a 94-95 Starter Jerome Bettis Rams home replica, size 54. Heh, I passed up a late 80s Canucks road sweater about 7 years ago (the V shoulders) and I'm still kickin myself about that, so I said to myself "I gotta grab this one cus if I don't, someone else will." Heh, the only noticeable error's that BETTIS is gold and somewhat thick, as opposed to regular white block letters (it's kinda funny when I think about it: the Bus went from a team that wears white names and gold numbers, to a team that wears gold names and white numbers).

Was it half off day for Clothing at the ol' Value Village? I know I got a Walter Payton Starter Jersey there a few years ago for about 2 bucks.

If I had to pick one thing I missed about Southeast Wisconsin, it'd be the Value Village in Racine. Everytime I think about it, I see the big Pink "50% OFF ALL CLOTHING" sign and I get a tear in my eye...

My thrift store find was from a shop in LA...it's a plain white polyester softball jersey with the word "STACK'S" in arched letters across the front, and the number 16 on the front and back. All the lettering and numbering is green with red trim (Merry Christmas!).

Of course, the number font on the front isn't consistent with the number font on the back, and I have no idea what "Stack's" refers to, but it was $8.

and it's the only jersey of any type that I currently own

I wish I hadn't passed up on the classic grey Blue Jays road jersey I found once:

al_1993_toronto.gif

...it was even lettered and numbered accurately, although it was a high number (97) of somebody I had never heard of. Sadly, it didn't quite fit me, although it would now, since I'm about 35 pounds lighter than I was then.

I find Marshall's stores tend to have a ton of authentic soccer gear. It's usually older versions of MLS jerseys, shorts and practice jerseys. But for a while they had a ton of past years' Arsenal, ManU and Juventus kits on the shelves.

They had a great Valencia kit there at one point. I would have bought it had it not been something like an XXXL. Thought it might have made a nice bed sheet.

I found an authentic Knicks jersey at the local VV during the last 50% sale. Basketball isn't quite my thing anymore, so I left it behind.

Some of the local sports stores have authentic Carter Raptor jerseys on for 20 bucks becasue no one wants them

awe dude i've found all kinds of stuff @ the thrift store. i snagged the following

a replica Reebok Steve McNair Titans jersey in excellent condition for $10

a teal Marlins jersey (tackle twill lettering) for $6

2 U of Tenn Adidas sideline polos and a mock neck for $5,$5 and $4

a MTSU Reebok sideline pullover shell for $5.

plus many more item that i can't think of at the moment.

a replica Reebok Steve McNair Titans jersey in excellent condition for $10

I found an authentic alt for like $15 but for some stupid reason passed up on it. Also, the sports stores across from my Lids store has Authentic Cowboys Home Henson and Deadslow jerseys for $10 and $5. Im still thinkin of pickin a few up and just yanking the names off.

Place this in in the oddities section:

Not too long ago I was at Value City and saw a beauty. It was an authentic Timberwolves black jersey complete with stiched lettering, but there was one glaring catch: it was spelled "Tiberwolves." No lie! I just laughed and moved on. I didn't take a picture of it with my phone but I should have, I kick myself for that one. It was only for a few bucks too. The bad ones are always the best ones.

Marshalls and TJ Maxx are definately places to check out for jerseys. I check mine about once a month because they always get new stuff in, NBA, MLB, NFL jerseys first and foremost, and they usually have some NCAA football jerseys, some soccer stuff, really never anything NHL though...Their NFL jerseys go from 20-30 bucks, and they are obviously imperfect in some way, but its not like wrong team colors or font or a name spelled wrong or anything, it has to do with quality control I'm assuming, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my Jonathan Vilma I got last week for 20 bucks or one in any sporting goods store for 75...

At my local marshalls recently I saw a black Saints jersey, w/o numbers or a name. I'm still mad at myself for not shelling out the 7.99 and slapping a 9 and Brees on it.

Dan

Problem is, "slapping a name and number" on a jersey can cost you over $100.

I peep the TJMaxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc.. but I've NEVER had any luck with the Goodwill.. i guess i gotta keep trying.

at tj maxx here in greenville last week i saw the following: Steve Smith Panthers (white, various sizes), Dominik Hasek Red Wings (Red, L), Julius Peppers Panthers (black, various sizes), Wake Forest Football, Duke Football, UNC Football, Oklahoma Basketball, Indiana Basketball, SF Giants Bonds Home Authentic, and more, i think...there was so much...i wish i would have gotten the Giants jersey, so i could now replace bonds with Zito.

Archived