Stripes of the same color?

Frylock

Back in late October, I sent some info to Paul at UniWatch, and to date have not heard anything back from regarding it. I hold no hard feelings to Paul, but I really wanted to share this with people who might find it interesting. Therefore, I bring it to you guys! :D Having read (and seen) the posts with the link to the NHL.com shop page with the actual All-Star jersey using the new cut, I figured this was a good time to share.

For the most part, this is my e-mail to Paul verbatim...

While it?s highly understandable that many of us uni watchers want to blame Reebok and Nike for the homogenization of jerseys and uniforms, that blame could also be aimed at the Cooper sporting goods manufacturer. During the 1980s, Cooper outfitted many teams in the Canadian Hockey League, a major junior hockey league comprised of the Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. At some point in the early 1980s (my limited research seems to point to the 1980/81 season) Cooper started dressing the teams in a cookie-cutter template, albeit in the teams? respected colors. And we thought the Nike Swift template was unfortunate? Check out some of these jerseys?

Seattle Breakers (WHL) road early 1980s, courtesy of SeattleHockey.net

Seattle Breakers (WHL) road 1983-85, courtesy of SeattleHockey.net

Seattle Breakers (WHL) home 1984/85, courtesy of SeattleHockey.net

Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) home front 1985/86, courtesy of WHLJerseys.com

Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) home back 1985/86, courtesy of WHLJerseys.com

New Westminster Bruins (WHL) home front 1984/85, courtesy of The Cliff Ronning collection

New Westminster Bruins (WHL) home back 1984/85, courtesy of The Cliff Ronning collection

North Bay Centennials (OHL) road front year unknown, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

North Bay Centennials (OHL) road back year unknown, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

Niagara Falls Flyers (OHL) home front year unknown, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

Niagara Falls Flyers (OHL) home back year unknown, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

Sudbury Wolves (OHL) road front 1984/85, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

Sudbury Wolves (OHL) road back 1984/85, courtesy of The 1hockeymaster collection

There are two interesting anomalies that I?ve come across in this research. One, I have yet to find any pictures or any jerseys (game worn or otherwise) of this style worn by any QMJHL teams. Two, the Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL (my Portland Winter Hawks, thank you very much!) wore this style jersey with an interesting addition ? a curved stripe that went around the upper back, as seen here.

If you go to this page, I have compiled several images (with captions) of the Winter Hawks and other teams wearing this style of jersey. My favorite image being this one -- which could be a nightmare if it were put in the hands of a Nike or Reebok exec!

• LMU pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived