I'd hate to be a new orelans saints fan right now

CrookedThumb

I know a lot of people know what I'm talking about just by reading the title, but if you don't, let me fill you in.

The Saints' season was on the line today versus the Jaguars. If they lose, they are out of the playoff race. The Jaguars are winning 20-13 with 7 seconds to go in the game. The Saints have the ball on their 25 yard line. Brooks throws a ball Donte Stallworth. He gets a nice gain when he is about to get tackled, but just before he gets tackled he laterals the ball off. The ball keeps getting lateralled a few more times untils it gets to Jerome Pathon. He runs it in for a TD. The play gets reviewed to make sure all of the laterals were legal, and they were. All New Orleans has to do is get the extra point and the game goes to overtime...but it goes wide right. As a Bucs fan, I know what that feels like.

EDIT-BTW, I am aware I spelled New Orleans wrong in the title.

It's and extra point, i could kick a ball from 15 yards out. He deserves to be cut for costing his team a chance to reach the playoffs.

15 yards, I'd struggle to kick it 5, punting the ball. With a dodgy hold as well the guys got no chance.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I too love kickers. I actually buy football jerseys of kickers. It was a fluke occurence, sad that it happened to a great guy like Carney, but to say that he should be cut because he cost his team a shot at the playoffs is ridiculous. If people were cut solely on that basis, there wouldn't be a lot of football players left right now...

I wonder what would happen to Vinateri if he missed that field goal in Super Bowl XXXVI and the Rams went on to win the game?

Kickers are the real football players because they are the ones that put their FOOT on the BALL!

I saw, I came, I left.

It's amazing how difficult it is and the variables involved.

Sure, anyone can kick a 18 yard figgie.  But, imagine:

1. 9 to 11 crazy, 250lb+, pissed off men running at your overmatched line

2. A holder who is doing something that is secondary to his position

3. About 3 seconds to run at the ball, being careful to put your foot in the EXACT postition

4. Oh, and if you miss once, you are hated.  Miss more then 6 in a year, and you're out of a job.

I'd like to see someone who criticizes kickers and doesn't think they are real players get off their ass and do it themselves.

Thats the thing about kickers, they are the only guys who can really by themselves win or lose a game. (Maybe except for if a QB runs for a TD but even then you would be able to point out a crucial block usually.) The flipside of Vinatieri is Scott Christie (I think that was the guy) who missed a last minute kick to win the Superbowl for the Bills. Thats why kickers deserve respect. They are out there with the everything riding on them, for 1 play. That is pressure.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Thats the thing about kickers, they are the only guys who can really by themselves win or lose a game. (Maybe except for if a QB runs for a TD but even then you would be able to point out a crucial block usually.) The flipside of Vinatieri is Scott Christie (I think that was the guy) who missed a last minute kick to win the Superbowl for the Bills. Thats why kickers deserve respect. They are out there with the everything riding on them, for 1 play. That is pressure.

Close, Scott Norwood :)

Close, Scott Norwood :)

Dang, thats right!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's amazing how difficult it is and the variables involved.

Sure, anyone can kick a 18 yard figgie. But, imagine:

1. 9 to 11 crazy, 250lb+, pissed off men running at your overmatched line

2. A holder who is doing something that is secondary to his position

3. About 3 seconds to run at the ball, being careful to put your foot in the EXACT postition

4. Oh, and if you miss once, you are hated. Miss more then 6 in a year, and you're out of a job.

I'd like to see someone who criticizes kickers and doesn't think they are real players get off their ass and do it themselves.

Here, here!

I played football for 4 years, mainly fullback/tight end/linebacker/defensive end. I also kicked and punted for 3 of those years, and that was TONS tougher than taking out a blitzing linebacker or making a tackle. If you've never kicked or punted for a team, you have no right to talk about how easy either one is.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Last time I checked, two players have relatively difficult tasks that have to be executed flawlessly prior to a placekicker even being involved with a placekick play - the holder who has to call the signals and set the ball and  the center who has to snap the ball at least 20 feet so that it winds up in a very precise place and at a relatively precise angle.  Therefore, a placekicker cannot always be the target for blame when a kick goes awry.

Archived