Chicago Slaughter unveils logo

creativelysain

Meh.

Simple... clean... modern. I can't quibble with that.

However, aside from the vaguely blade-like "sharpness" to the leading and trailing edges, there's not much about this that really references the likely inspiration for the team's name: the slaughterhouses of the Chicago stockyards.

Then again, when you choose a name with overtly violent connotations - a la "Slaughter" - you run the risk of upsetting people even before unveiling a logo. Aside from a logo depicting livestock being rendered or a cleaver-wielding butcher-like character in a bloody apron... well, I'm at a loss as to how I'd proceed. I suppose they could go with a rather generic, wild-eyed, threatening football player, but that wouldn't be very inspiring either.

Maybe I'm looking too hard, but is there a resemblance here? Same shape?

The coach is Steve McMichael, and William Perry is the Dir. of Football Operations. You think he Bears staffing theme went throughout the logo as well?

chicago_bears.jpg

Logogif.gif

That was the first thought that crossed my mind as well. "Oh, so it's a modernized Bears C turned into an S." Actually took me back a bit -- I hadn't previously thought of the Bears C in terms of the shape of a football, and now I wish the negative space in the Bears C was even more pigskinesque.

20082614447.png

"Up All Night" by Boomtown Rats? Did I miss something?

Since sarcasm does not translate well through written communication, I don't know if you're being serious or facetious with that statement. If you're being serious and really don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain. For those of you unfamiliar, Slaughter was the name of a hair metal band during the late 1980's, and their hit song was called "Up All Night". Thanks for ruining the joke by making me explain it.

QPR%20Sig.png

"Up All Night" by Boomtown Rats? Did I miss something?

Since sarcasm does not translate well through written communication, I don't know if you're being serious or facetious with that statement. If you're being serious and really don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain. For those of you unfamiliar, Slaughter was the name of a hair metal band during the late 1980's, and their hit song was called "Up All Night". Thanks for ruining the joke by making me explain it.

So I DID miss something. Sorry, not up to speed on my 80s hair metal bands. Only my 80s new wave/post punk groups.

That, and I was trying to envision Sgt. Slaughter dancing around to "Up All Night," and it understandably put me in fits.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe I'm looking too hard, but is there a resemblance here? Same shape?

The coach is Steve McMichael, and William Perry is the Dir. of Football Operations. You think he Bears staffing theme went throughout the logo as well?

chicago_bears.jpg

Logogif.gif

That was the first thought that crossed my mind as well. "Oh, so it's a modernized Bears C turned into an S." Actually took me back a bit -- I hadn't previously thought of the Bears C in terms of the shape of a football, and now I wish the negative space in the Bears C was even more pigskinesque.

The ends of the S resemble the pointy part of the wishbone C to me. I kind of like it, but it seems bland. Then again, "Slaughter" isn't really an easy nickname to work with. They had to play it safe so people wouldn't complain.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

What a reprehensible nickname. I can't believe someone seriously thought that was a good idea.

Actually, yes I can.

I think I would have even liked something like Lake Catz more.

Its historic. Chicago Slaughter Houses. They were big business in Chicago at the beginning of the century. Upton Sinclair's book "The Jungle" was written about the conditions and lead to the passing of the nation's first (I believe) meat inspection laws.

Its not the best name, but its not just completly "draw a tough name out of a hat" either.

I emailed them right after I heard about the team to at least put a bid in on the logo...they said they were going with a local company.

Archived