c-web a free agent...

slightly shotgunned

i hope webber gets a ring.

Why? :blink:

I can't think of almost anyone else in the NBA more undeserving. A poster child for everything wrong with the sport.

Do explain. Webber has always been a team player, and you can't blame him for unreasonable expectations, bloated contracts, and injuries. While he's never been a great defender, in his heyday with the Kings he was the rare star that was comfortable setting up teammates out of the post and did the dirty work. His biggest flaw is that he never had a go-to move other than the 15-foot jump shot, and as a result, he wasn't the best player to take the last shot, thus propagating the idea that he wasn't "clutch". While the overall level of athletic giftedness isn't comparable, you could say the same thing about KG, yet it doesn't diminish HIS accomplishments.

Furthermore, Webber is the rare NBA star that is well-spoken and considerate. Other than the Ed Martin incident, he hasn't been in any serious legal trouble (assault, guns, etc.). He's no A.C. Green, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's "a poster child for everything that's wrong with the sport."

You're forgetting his little mutiny in Golden State? His various run-ins with the law in Washington? His holding the city for ransom in Sacramento, then sucking wind as soon as he got his windfall? His whole lying (under oath, mind you) about taking money from Ed Martin at Michigan? And the guy's pretty much tanked it ever since he landed in Philly.

Real quality guy. And let's not even get started on his HORRIBLE rap album :D

I can't think of almost anyone else in the NBA more undeserving. A poster child for everything wrong with the sport.

Do explain. Webber has always been a team player, and you can't blame him for unreasonable expectations, bloated contracts, and injuries. While he's never been a great defender, in his heyday with the Kings he was the rare star that was comfortable setting up teammates out of the post and did the dirty work. His biggest flaw is that he never had a go-to move other than the 15-foot jump shot, and as a result, he wasn't the best player to take the last shot, thus propagating the idea that he wasn't "clutch". While the overall level of athletic giftedness isn't comparable, you could say the same thing about KG, yet it doesn't diminish HIS accomplishments.

Furthermore, Webber is the rare NBA star that is well-spoken and considerate. Other than the Ed Martin incident, he hasn't been in any serious legal trouble (assault, guns, etc.). He's no A.C. Green, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's "a poster child for everything that's wrong with the sport."

You're forgetting his little mutiny in Golden State? His various run-ins with the law in Washington? His holding the city for ransom in Sacramento, then sucking wind as soon as he got his windfall? His whole lying (under oath, mind you) about taking money from Ed Martin at Michigan? And the guy's pretty much tanked it ever since he landed in Philly.

I'm not saying he's a saint, I'm just saying that he's no Zach Randolph. In Golden State he was miscast as a center by Don Nelson and put into an offense where he didn't fit. Not to mention that he had Latrell on his team, and a lot of people weren't happy with the situation. In Washington, his most serious transgressions consisted of twice being charged with pot possession. That hardly makes him unique in the NBA, and hardly constitutes serious legal trouble, especially concerned that all the charges were dropped. I mentioned the Ed Martin thing, which was a mistake, but was somewhat understandable since he was trying to protect his school. And I don't agree that checking out his options when he was the NBA's top free agent in 2001 constituted holding Sacramento for ransom. When he signed the contract, he performed well until his spate of injuries.

I see him more as a kid that has been subjected to intense scrutiny and unrealistic expectations, and while he has made some mistakes, he has been solid for the most part. Considering that he has averaged a 21-10 for his career, has never been convicted of a crime other than perjury, and has performed lots of charity work through his foundation, you could do much worse.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I'm not saying he's a saint, I'm just saying that he's no Zach Randolph. In Golden State he was miscast as a center by Don Nelson and put into an offense where he didn't fit. Not to mention that he had Latrell on his team, and a lot of people weren't happy with the situation. In Washington, his most serious transgressions consisted of twice being charged with pot possession. That hardly makes him unique in the NBA, and hardly constitutes serious legal trouble, especially concerned that all the charges were dropped. I mentioned the Ed Martin thing, which was a mistake, but was somewhat understandable since he was trying to protect his school. And I don't agree that checking out his options when he was the NBA's top free agent in 2001 constituted holding Sacramento for ransom. When he signed the contract, he performed well until his spate of injuries.

I see him more as a kid that has been subjected to intense scrutiny and unrealistic expectations, and while he has made some mistakes, he has been solid for the most part. Considering that he has averaged a 21-10 for his career, has never been convicted of a crime other than perjury, and has performed lots of charity work through his foundation, you could do much worse.

Fair enough, but the intense scrutiny is all because of his doing. Clearly, Don Nelson was probably the best thing that could have happened to Webber. See what Nelson did for Nowitzki? An all-star getting serious touches on a high-caliber offense? That could have been Webber had he not decided to act like a baby and pout. Ever since then, and even before that (thanks to the antics of the Fab Five), Webber's been under the gun, and not wrongfully so.

Yeah essentially its the same thing as being released in MLB

Except being released in MLB doesn't earn you a $37M golden parachute to just go away.

Honestly - in what other line of work can you be paid obscene amounts of money for playing a game, then be guaranteed that money and get it all at once as a lump sum because you're unhappy and want out of a contract you signed?

I have no love for Chris Webber (short of his generous time-out in the '93 NCAA final... thanks for that). He's a repellent person - underhanded, deceitful, moody, selfish. And apparently, he's living in his own world of delusion - he's got himself convinced he's still got game, and that he wasn't a problem everywhere he's been.

Who wants that on their team? A big man with creaky knees, a questionable work ethic, skin so thin you read a book through it, and a resume with ZERO titles on it. What's he ever won to merit commanding $20 mil per season?

Fraud.

And as far as the lottery goes... you're assuming Greg Oden is coming out. Whether he uses them or not, he's got years of eligibility left. If a team he doesn't want to play for wins the lottery, he doesn't have to come out. Can teams still do what Red Auerbach did when he drafted Larry Bird a full year before he came out of Indiana State? If so, that would be a strong move. I know MLB teams get a draftee's rights for 3 years out of high school, but I don't know if the NBA would allow this.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

And he is coming home. He will sign tomorrow with the pistons. I am not sure about this. Then again, I wasn't sure about Sheed when he first came, but I think he has changed. Now they are working on trading one of their big men. On the pistons website, it says they are interested in Marko Jaric, Bonzi Wells, or Morris Peterson.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived