Goalie Mask Archive! What's your favorite?

leedsunited

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't go wrong with the old school!

the classic, menacing white peaked mask of bernie parent:

parent2.gif

and the classic gerry cheever mask, with the stitch marks added wherever the puck hit the mask:

cheev.jpg

mike liut's crazy mask:

liut.jpg

best goalie ever, ken dryden:

drymont.jpg

jim rutherford's logo as eyelashes mask:

ruther.jpg

i better not forget grant fuhr!

fuhrful.jpg

just found this awesome bernie parent mask from when he was with the Blazers of the WHA:

blaz.jpg

Felix Potvin

tor-potvin.jpg

I'll second "The Cat."

Honestly, it was this mask/pads set that got me interested in goal-tending to begin with.

Potvin1-1.jpg

Same here. Though I was (and still am) a Devils fan, Potvin was always neck and neck with Brodeur for me back in high school just because of how awesome he looked in that mask/pads set. I remember in art class junior year (9 years ago.. good god) I took a picture of him and recreated it just because I loved it so much.

When he played for Boston, where I lived at the time, I thought the mask looked fantastic in yellow.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Felix Potvin

tor-potvin.jpg

I'll second "The Cat."

Honestly, it was this mask/pads set that got me interested in goal-tending to begin with.

Potvin1-1.jpg

Same here. Though I was (and still am) a Devils fan, Potvin was always neck and neck with Brodeur for me back in high school just because of how awesome he looked in that mask/pads set. I remember in art class junior year (9 years ago.. good god) I took a picture of him and recreated it just because I loved it so much.

When he played for Boston, where I lived at the time, I thought the mask looked fantastic in yellow.

His mask always looks fantastic :P

When I was 13 I needed a new set of goalie pads, and I instantly went with the next line of Potvin KOHO pads.

mhok2_062000.jpg

With the CuJo mask I looked like some kind of Leafs Franken-Goalie.

These are all classics, so I wanted to give some love to a couple that could be easily forgotten. One that wasn't the greatest artistically, but my favourite as a concept was Jocelyn Thibault's "tip of the cap" to Jacques Plante. Along the same lines, Steve Shields "Cheevers tribute" mask was quite well done.

As my dad once said about goal masks and football helmets "Even the ugly ones are pretty cool."

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

can't go wrong with the old school!

the classic, menacing white peaked mask of bernie parent:

and the classic gerry cheever mask, with the stitch marks added wherever the puck hit the mask:

cheev.jpg

mike liut's crazy mask:

best goalie ever, ken dryden:

jim rutherford's logo as eyelashes mask:

ruther.jpg

i better not forget grant fuhr!

fuhrful.jpg

just found this awesome bernie parent mask from when he was with the Blazers of the WHA:

blaz.jpg

I tip my hat to you, good sir. A fine selection of the old school's finest.

A few I would add, if I was not so technologically inept:

? Chico Resch's NYI mask (circa 1974). One fo the first I can recall that brought the full color treatment.

? John Davidson's Statue of Liberty (late 70s)

? the "blank canvases" of Ken Dryden's bars-only mask of the early 70s, Villemure and Giacomin (distinguishable by design)

? Rogie Vachon with the Kings (the little smile was a nice touch)

Ah, those were the days...

I love Ryan Miller's mask. Its just cool looking...but the funny thing about Marty Biron's old mask (the colored one) was that on the back were paw prints and earlier in the year Sabretooth bashed him over the head with some fake glass.

Only decent pic I could find of his mask on Boston:

PotvinFelixGP.jpg

I wish he had played for the Blackhawks at some point in his career. Picture that mask, except the yellow would be red, and maybe therre would be some of the feathers from the logo near his ears. That would look sweet. I saw a custom version of his mask that was navy and vegas gold, also very cool.

I really liked Trevor Kidd's other Leaf mask. He wasn't a great goalie for them, but in that mask, and his checker board pads, at least he looked cool.

kidd.jpg

When I was 13 I needed a new set of goalie pads, and I instantly went with the next line of Potvin KOHO pads.

mhok2_062000.jpg

With the CuJo mask I looked like some kind of Leafs Franken-Goalie.

... I think it's the red-eye that made this picture scary :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

I liked Gump Worsley's mask. :D

I actually saw Gump play in person without the mask. :hockeysmiley: I'm old. :cursing:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Only decent pic I could find of his mask on Boston:

PotvinFelixGP.jpg

I like it , but I still don't see what the design has to do with a cat?

Sorry I just have never see it, maybe someone can explain it to me.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/masks/moog.html

Was Moog the first to do that kind of golie mask design. (Bottom one). Because so many have ripped him off if so.

I had that Potvin mask when I was a little younger. It broke though. I wonder if I still have it. (Blue one).

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/masks/kolzig.html

Ollie the goalie still rocks. I heard a few years ago during a game, his mask costs $2000. Damn..it looks sweet though.

Archived