NFL endzone pylon: should it be considered in?

ebod39

I have always had a dislike of the "pylon is part of the endzone" rule. I mean it technically sits outisde

the field of play on the sideline chalk. To me it's the NFL equivalent of backyard rules, "the tree and the edge of the gutter are the endzones". It ludicrous to have a team drive 80+ yards only to have it be okay for one of them to tap or drag their foot across it (while they and they ball are out of bounds) and call it a touchdown.

any thoughts on this?

I really dont quite get the point of pylons as it is.

true, that's another point I forgot to mention. The endzone is the only place they see fit to use them. If that's the case, they could put pylons at the first down marker. It's the same as showing them where the endzone is. Of course then you'd have guys diving for the pylons like Pete Rose into 3rd base. Which is my point, If you don't use them anywhere else and actually make the players "earn" the first down, then why should the touchdown be any different? The strip of vinyl thrown down to indicate the first down marker isn't considered fair game, why should the pylon?

Assuming you're talking about Reggie Bush's touchdown, I tend to agree. How can hitting the pylon be a TD when it's out of bounds? I thought he could have easily cut inside that defender and he definitely wasn't going full speed. Seemed he underestimated the defender's speed and took 1) the risk of being knocked out of bounds before scoring and 2) taking a hit on which he could have been injured.

It's been especially annoying for me as a Saints fan living near Atlanta to see Michael Vick get a TD every time he waves the ball at the pylon. He can be out of bounds at the 3 and they give him a TD. :cursing:

Assuming you're talking about Reggie Bush's touchdown, I tend to agree. How can hitting the pylon be a TD when it's out of bounds? I thought he could have easily cut inside that defender and he definitely wasn't going full speed. Seemed he underestimated the defender's speed and took 1) the risk of being knocked out of bounds before scoring and 2) taking a hit on which he could have been injured.

It's been especially annoying for me as a Saints fan living near Atlanta to see Michael Vick get a TD every time he waves the ball at the pylon. He can be out of bounds at the 3 and they give him a TD. :cursing:

Hitting the pylon with the ball as long as the player has not stepped out of bounds would be considered a TD. If you were in the air and hit the pylon, that would be a touchdown. What people forgot when watching Bush's touchdown is where the ball was when his foot was hitting the pilon, by which was already past the plane. So really, his foot on the pylon is a mute point in this case.

Hitting the pylon with the ball as long as the player has not stepped out of bounds would be considered a TD. If you were in the air and hit the pylon, that would be a touchdown. What people forgot when watching Bush's touchdown is where the ball was when his foot was hitting the pilon, by which was already past the plane. So really, his foot on the pylon is a mute point in this case.

I disagree, I felt Bush had the ball far out in his right hand and out of bounds at the 1yrd line

and never came close to breaking the plane. It broke the plane of the sidelines, but that's it.

I just think the whole pylon thing is stupid, and I'm not using Bushs's TD as an excuse. I blame Andy Reid

and his braindead decision making within the 2-minute warning of any game. I mean they went for 4th and 23 a couple years ago and made it. You gotta take the shot.

Wasn't it only a few years ago that the pylons were moved to out of bounds instead of inside the end-zones?

It doesn't make a lot of sense that grazing the outside of the pylon should count for being in bounds. Credit the offensive players for knowing the rule and how to exploit it.

Wasn't it only a few years ago that the pylons were moved to out of bounds instead of inside the end-zones?

It doesn't make a lot of sense that grazing the outside of the pylon should count for being in bounds. Credit the offensive players for knowing the rule and how to exploit it.

As long as the player was still in bounds, and not have any part of his body hit the sideline, prior to getting the ball on the pylon, then it is a touchdown. The pylon need not be there, but I guess it's there so that there is no ambiguity to ref to made the call. Let's say there was no pylon and a player ran for the endzone and the ball was very close, say an inch, to the plane, in real time, it would have been hard for the ref to tell whether the player was in or not.

I recall the Saints-Cowboys game a while back when a Saints player jumped in the air, going out of bounds and hit the pylon (or just extending his hand out I can't remember) and either Al Michaels or John Madden explained the plane of the goal line and why it was a touchdown.

A better explaination can be found on the last question on this link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...heref-headlines

Please explain the plane on the goal line and how it differs from the sidelines and yard lines and maybe the endline. Thanks. -- Bill Patton, Boiling Springs, S.C.

The goal line plane is unique under NFL rules. When a player breaks the plane of the goal line with the ball in his possession, it is a touchdown, even though the player's body may be in the field of play. This plane extends to infinity and if a player crosses the goal line with his body and the ball extended over the sideline, it is a touchdown because of the invisible plane. The sidelines and endlines do not have the same magic; however, if a player has the ball extended over the sideline or endline and his body is completely in the field of play or the end zone, the play is not ruled out of bounds in the field or the end zone.

In a recent game played in Atlanta, Michael Vick dove from the field toward the pylon in the corner of the end zone with the ball extended out-of-bounds. His hand passed over the pylon while the rest of his body and the ball continued out-of-bounds. The play was correctly ruled a touchdown because he had qualified under the goal line plane described above.

Now, looking at the play again you, can make the argument that the ball did not hit the plane as Bush's foot stepped on the sidelines because his hand looked to be extending sideways and somewhat behind him, but, to me, it was hard to tell.

Keep in mind, "in bounds" and "out of bounds" exist in the same horizontal plane, and come into play only where a player is in contact with the ground.

On the other hand, the goal line is an infinite vertical plane that can be crossed anwhere, provided the player is either in bounds when he crosses it, or was in bounds when he was last in contact with the ground before crossing it, regardless of where he lands after crossing it.

the goal line, according to the NFL rules, is infinite. It goes around the world basically. So as long a the ball crosses the plane, and the runner isn't down or out of bounds before he reaches the goal line, it's a touchdown. The pylon follows this basic rule.

(Edit: sould read the previous post before i go jibber-jabbering on...)

:-p

Archived