Chris Webber

Shroinke

Detroit officially signed C-Webb today, and at the press conference announced he would wear #84.

NBA.com article

webber_370_070116.jpg

No word on why he chose 84 yet.

He's wearing 84 because his cousin or nephew or niece or something had a dream that he wore 84 and they won the game.

No Seriously.

Yup, FNZ51 is correct.

From the pistons official website:

Webber goes to work Wednesday night - wearing No. 84, as suggested by his 6-year-old nephew who had a dream in which Uncle Chris was wearing that number

Can someone refresh my memory on why a player can get a number over 55, which is the usual limit.

That is only in high school and college. In pro you can have any one or two-digit number you want.

Can someone refresh my memory on why a player can get a number over 55, which is the usual limit.

That is only in high school and college. In pro you can have any one or two-digit number you want.

You still have to petition the NBA (I believe) if you want to go with a number over 55. Shawn Bradley had to do that to wear 76 with the Sixers. Artest probably had to do so as well to wear 93 in Sacramento. Supposedly Dennis Rodman wanted to wear 69 in either Dallas or LA, but the league nixed it and he wore 70 with the Mavs and 73 with the Lakers (7 rebounding titles, 3 championships).

Anyone who wants to add/correct, feel free to do so. This is from memory.

And international play. In fact, under FIBA rules, I believe players can only wear from 4 to 15.

If VandyDelphia Mike is correct and you do have to petition the league, the NBA must be really strict about the rule. :rolleyes:

NBA: Sorry, Chris, you can't have a number over 55.

Webber: But my 6 year old nephew told me to wear 84.

NBA: Okay, but just this once.

Why have a rule like that if you don't even enforce it? The NBA is much less strict regarding stuff like this than the NFL. The NFL makes no exceptions.

Why have a rule like that if you don't even enforce it? The NBA is much less strict regarding stuff like this than the NFL. The NFL makes no exceptions.

Probably so they could stop Rodman from wearing 69. Although why the league would do the Tru Warier any favors is beyond me.

years ago i was told that in the nba a player could have any one or two digit number, as long as neither of the digits was greater than five. this way when the ref calls a foul they indicate the player's number with their hands. (i hope that makes sense)

i could be way off though, i really don't know much about the nba.

Probably so they could stop Rodman from wearing 69. Although why the league would do the Tru Warier any favors is beyond me.

The Tru Warier is Artest, but I see how one might be confused.

IIRC teh NBA has slightly different signals than HS/college ball, and judging by the fact that George Mikan wore 99 and I recall a post a while back about some early NBAer wearing 09, likely always has.

to clarify things, the Artest number rule is actually the one where you can't change your number for four years unless you're traded or sign with a new team in that time. Heh, I doubt a real 0-5 rule has ever existed for the NBA, and you can't really enforce a rule that isn't there.

years ago i was told that in the nba a player could have any one or two digit number, as long as neither of the digits was greater than five. this way when the ref calls a foul they indicate the player's number with their hands. (i hope that makes sense)

This is actually the college rule -- that neither digit can be higher than five, so that the referee can signal a player who has committed a foul with two hands in one motion. In fact, up until... 2000, I think, a player couldn't even wear 1 or 2 because those numbers were used to signal foul shots, and thus would be confusing. Obviously, they didn't think it'd be confusing enough, so they removed it.

If you think about it, FIBA's system makes sense because, like college, the 4-to-15 system makes it easy for referees to signal a foul in one motion, as all of the numbers can be made with two hands.

This is the sort of stuff you take for granted as a fan until you scorekeep a youth basketball tournament and the referee has to go into odd contortions to call a foul against #38 (and you have to figure out just what the :censored: he's signalling).

This is actually the college rule -- that neither digit can be higher than five, so that the referee can signal a player who has committed a foul with two hands in one motion. In fact, up until... 2000, I think, a player couldn't even wear 1 or 2 because those numbers were used to signal foul shots, and thus would be confusing. Obviously, they didn't think it'd be confusing enough, so they removed it.

If you think about it, FIBA's system makes sense because, like college, the 4-to-15 system makes it easy for referees to signal a foul in one motion, as all of the numbers can be made with two hands.

This is the sort of stuff you take for granted as a fan until you scorekeep a youth basketball tournament and the referee has to go into odd contortions to call a foul against #38 (and you have to figure out just what the :censored: he's signalling).

hahaha. well i wasn't too far off, thanks for clearing that up.

Rodman also wanted 01 for the Bulls, but the NBA wouldn't allow a Zero in front of a number, so he got 91 instead.

Weirdo.

Thats not that weird. Rodman had worn #10 throughout his career but when he joined daBulls he could not wear it because #10 was retired, so he went with 01, the inverse- was told no so went with 91 (9+1= 10) :-)

• LMU locked this topic

Archived