Chris Webber

Shroinke

Chris Webber will be playing wide receiver for the Detroit Pistons.

...leading to rumors that Matt Millen will draft him with the second overall pick.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

years ago i was told that in the nba a player could have any one or two digit number, as long as neither of the digits was greater than five. this way when the ref calls a foul they indicate the player's number with their hands. (i hope that makes sense)

i could be way off though, i really don't know much about the nba.

This is actually the college rule -- that neither digit can be higher than five, so that the referee can signal a player who has committed a foul with two hands in one motion. In fact, up until... 2000, I think, a player couldn't even wear 1 or 2 because those numbers were used to signal foul shots, and thus would be confusing. Obviously, they didn't think it'd be confusing enough, so they removed it.

If you think about it, FIBA's system makes sense because, like college, the 4-to-15 system makes it easy for referees to signal a foul in one motion, as all of the numbers can be made with two hands.

This is the sort of stuff you take for granted as a fan until you scorekeep a youth basketball tournament and the referee has to go into odd contortions to call a foul against #38 (and you have to figure out just what the :censored: he's signalling).

what would be the plan when a legend retires? retire his name? there are flaws in any system.

I think in some cases in college they hang the number from the rafters to immortalize someone but they don't discontinue use of the number. So you could be partially right, but with 37 available numbers and usually 12-14 roster spots, you'd have to go through a lot before worrying about availability.

And as far as FIBA is concerned, I doubt they do that because most FIBA teams are international matchups.

philly.png

Rodman also wanted 01 for the Bulls, but the NBA wouldn't allow a Zero in front of a number, so he got 91 instead.

Weirdo.

Thats not that weird. Rodman had worn #10 throughout his career but when he joined daBulls he could not wear it because #10 was retired, so he went with 01, the inverse- was told no so went with 91 (9+1= 10) :-)

#10 wasn't retired, it was being worn by BJ Armstrong

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Detroit officially signed C-Webb today, and at the press conference announced he would wear #84.

NBA.com article

webber_370_070116.jpg

No word on why he chose 84 yet.

He's wearing 84 because his cousin or nephew or niece or something had a dream that he wore 84 and they won the game.

No Seriously.

Yup, FNZ51 is correct.

From the pistons official website:

Webber goes to work Wednesday night - wearing No. 84, as suggested by his 6-year-old nephew who had a dream in which Uncle Chris was wearing that number

Did that dream game end with C-Webb calling a time out with none remaining???

Rodman also wanted 01 for the Bulls, but the NBA wouldn't allow a Zero in front of a number, so he got 91 instead.

Weirdo.

Thats not that weird. Rodman had worn #10 throughout his career but when he joined daBulls he could not wear it because #10 was retired, so he went with 01, the inverse- was told no so went with 91 (9+1= 10) :-)

The Bulls retired #10 after B.J. Armstrong left, but it was in honor of Bob Love, one of the earliest stars of the franchise, who played from 1968 to 1976. Love's #10 was retired in January 1994. The Bulls have three other retired numbers--the great Jerry Sloan's #4 (before becoming more synonymous with the Jazz), a couple of guys named Jordan and Pippen, and a "COACH" banner honoring some other guy named Jackson, plus something honoring former GM Jerry Krause.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/history/retired_numbers.html

Weirdo.

The Bulls retired #10 after B.J. Armstrong left, but it was in honor of Bob Love, one of the earliest stars of the franchise, who played from 1968 to 1976. Love's #10 was retired in January 1994. The Bulls have three other retired numbers--the great Jerry Sloan's #4 (before becoming more synonymous with the Jazz), a couple of guys named Jordan and Pippen, and a "COACH" banner honoring some other guy named Jackson, plus something honoring former GM Jerry Krause.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/history/retired_numbers.html

That's correct, they let Armstrong keep it until his tenure ended with the team. However, when he left and came back several years later, he was not allowed to wear it. He wore #11 instead.

The solution is so painfully simple, I can't believe it hasn't been posted yet.

The NBA needs to engineer and breed officials with nine fingers on each hand.

Or, in a less time consuming manor, teach them how to use sign language.

Save the slugalo.

rodman has 5 championships, so that 7-3 theory seems off.

I believe it was the streak he was on for each at the time he signed with the Lakers -- 7 rebounding titles in a row and 3 championships. AT least I'm pretty sure that's what he claimed... I think he skipped the short 1999 season.

I'd always heard it was to frustrate the refs - I also heard about the 69 deal, the reasons for that being rather obvious too.

wide receiver number on a basketball jersey does look weird, though. actually, for C-webb, it'd probably be tight end...blocking tight end at that.

harperdc.gif

rodman has 5 championships, so that 7-3 theory seems off.

I believe it was the streak he was on for each at the time he signed with the Lakers -- 7 rebounding titles in a row and 3 championships. AT least I'm pretty sure that's what he claimed... I think he skipped the short 1999 season.

He wore 73 because 7+3=10. He just kept up the same thing from wearing 91 to "add up to" 10, but switched after he left Chicago to another "Sum = 10" number, 73.

I thought Rodman wore 73 because it was his age at the time(37), reversed. Not that it really matters, but that's what I remember hearing.

You are partially right...he went with the 7 Rebounding Titles and 3-Peat Championships along with his age reversed.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived