NCAA to allow foreign schools soon

Geoff

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is stupid. I mean, the N does stand for "National" after all, not "National, except for some schools in Canada".

*desperately tries to make N stand for "American", yet fails miserably*

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

This is stupid. I mean, the N does stand for "National" after all, not "National, except for some schools in Canada".

You mean in the same way that the N in the NHL stands for "National, except for 4/5ths of the league in the US?"

I have no problem with this. Besides, isn't Simon Frasier in the NAIA?

philly.png

You mean in the same way that the N in the NHL stands for "National, except for 4/5ths of the league in the US?"

Well, I for one am shocked that the Earth did not spin off its axis when the Toronto Blue Jays were placed in the American League... <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I suppose if any of these Canadian schools expressed an interest in D-I bowl division football, and had the requisite number of wins, that the school would be destined for Toronto for the International Bowl?

That and they'd have to learn to play the 4-down version of gridiron with the goal posts behind the end zones ...

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Yes they are, along with the Universities of Alberta, British Columbia, Regina, Victoria and Windsor. Laval, Lakehead and Ottawa have also had membership too.

I too have no problem with an NCAA that has Canadian members, and indeed when I made a post about 8 months ago about adding new members to Division 1, most of the current CIS was included(except for a few Ontario schools and the 2 newest members of Canada West(Fraser Valley and Thompson Rivers). If anyone's interested, Here's the thread(Not a realistic chance this happens)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I don't like this idea, because then it creates this idea that some schools in Canada are good enough to be considered American schools, but the rest, well hey, they're on their own, the hosers.

Besides, judging by what happens when we extend our sports to other countries, this just means the Canadians will eventually be better than us at college football.

Besides, judging by what happens when we extend our sports to other countries, this just means the Canadians will eventually be better than us at college football.

I guess so, having an extra man on the field and all... ^_^:P

It may be interesting a NCAA Tournament game played in Canada, a Canadian Conference in the NCAA, if its done right with the largest schools in Canada this can work.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well, I for one am shocked that the Earth did not spin off its axis when the Toronto Blue Jays were placed in the American League... <_<

to play the devils advocate..

Toronto is in North America..

If the sports are already playing by the same rules, I see no problem with it. Right now, plenty of US college hockey teams play Canadian teams for exhibitions, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for hockey.

For basketball, the CIS is going to use the international rules, so there would be a difference betwene CIS and NCAA teams. I don't know aobut football.

I don't think there are vast differences for any other sports like softball, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics, etc.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The NCAA needs to tap their brakes on this. I say that because of the October 2006 letter the U.S. House Ways & Means Committee sent Myles Brand to respond to in regards to their (NCAA) tax-exempt status. Some questions within the letter include:

How does the US taxpayer benefit from the NCAA's tax exempt status?

Why should the Federal Government subsidize institutions in the escalating salaries for coaches and rising costs of athletic facilities?

How does football or basketball, which are highly commercial enterprises, futhter the educational purpose of the member institutions?

There are also questions about having a core curriculum for HS students to be eligible but they have no core once they are in college. What I am getting at is they will open themselves to more Congressional questioning if they allow schools from either border to become members. Asidee from privacy acts like HIPPA and FERPA which would not apply to players at Canadian schools, the issue of payment (and future taxation) of players will still be a Congressional issue.

While the inquiry to the NCAA was eight pages, here is the text of the letter send to Myles Brand (Courtsey of usatoday.com):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/200...ax-letter_x.htm

After receiveing the inquiry, obviosuly the NCAA's public response contained this sentence:

"The NCAA disagrees with the fundamental assertion that intercollegiate athletics is not part of higher education."

Or how the Expos used to be in the National League.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

How does the US taxpayer benefit from the NCAA's tax exempt status?

He doesn't.

Why should teh Federal Government subsidize institutions in the escalating salaries for coaches and rising costs of athletic facilities?

It shouldn't.

How does football or basketball, which are highly commercial enterprises, futhter the educational purpose of the member institutions?

They don't.

Oh, and re: #2, I guess some sportswriter in the Twin Cities said the taxpayers shouldn't be mad that the university extended the old coach, fired him, and hired a new one, because it's "only three million dollars." That's three million dollars that could've been used on the actual University of Minnesota, not glorified minor league football. Tell the students whose tuition is going up that it's not a big deal to just carelessly throw money at sports.

I would love to see American and Canadian clubs play a series of exhibitions every year, with rules determined by rotating site, but it is the National Collegiate Athletic association, not North American. The differences in the Canadian game make it unique, and that shouldn't be altogether swallowed up by the American system. Thinking a little selfishly though, this development could allow for smoother looking and playing Canadian schools in my NCAA football games. As of now, I try to replicate the Windsor Lancers, but the options are so limited, the city and nickname can't be pronounced by the system. And it keeps telling me they're among the best teams in the United States, even though they allow you to place them on a map that includes Canada.

Man, I wish they made Canadian college football games. Or even better, a CFL game. But don't let me get off topic...

Man, I wish they made Canadian college football games. Or even better, a CFL game. But don't let me get off topic...

Definitely man, I try to make my high school team in NCAA 06 and it just doesn't work because there isn't a designated position called slotback, as well as the absence of one of the safeties.

to play the devils advocate..

Toronto is in North America..

That was kind of my point...

The "N" in the NHL refers to Canada, but last time I looked 24 out of 30 teams were in the States.

This sounds cool. Maybe integrate the major CIS schools into a Canadian or International NCAA division.

Go Mustangs!

Archived