NCAA to allow foreign schools soon

Geoff

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan of a team in the Big East I would rather see U of Toronto or McGill U added as the 9th football member over say UCF, Memphis, ECU or bringing back Temple.

U of Toronto's football program sucks. You don't what that in your conference.

But doesn't that make the rest of Canada second-class as if only the best schools can be considered on par with American schools? I just don't think that sends a good message.

But doesn't that make the rest of Canada second-class as if only the best schools can be considered on par with American schools? I just don't think that sends a good message.

So NAIA schools are second-class to NCAA schools here in the States?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

As a fan of a team in the Big East I would rather see U of Toronto or McGill U added as the 9th football member over say UCF, Memphis, ECU or bringing back Temple.

Sure you do. You need someone to whip around in your conference ^_^.

No kidding U of T sucks, the Varsity Blues are on a 41 game losing streak, incing closer to the CIS record 47 game losing streak by York a few years back. Granted they haven't really had a home to play on because they tore down Varsity Stadium in 2001 and have been playing in places off campus since then. It's replacement, the Varsity Centre is very close to completion and hopefully the Blues will get back on track soon. :cursing:http://www.varsitycentre.ca/

I saw, I came, I left.

So NAIA schools are second-class to NCAA schools here in the States?

Not quite the same, I don't think. I'm trying to approach this from a Canadian inferiority complex perspective.

Not quite the same, I don't think. I'm trying to approach this from a Canadian inferiority complex perspective.

:D

The only thing I can think of really that would be a sticking point would be the academic requirements for Canadian schools, which are different than here in the States. After all, would player eligibility hinge on a bachelor's degree (3 years) or an Honours degree (4 years)? It shouldn't be a big deal, though the NCAA does have a tendency to making big deals out of nothing, so who knows. In the end, the worst thing that may come out of it is the death of Canadian Football. After all, why play Canadian football when you can go American-style and get hammered play big teams for Athletic department cash the privilege of playing a big name school?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

If the sports are already playing by the same rules, I see no problem with it. Right now, plenty of US college hockey teams play Canadian teams for exhibitions, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for hockey.

The only issue in hockey is that the NCAA doesn't allow players who have played CHL hockey. Once a players has played one game (preseason, regular season or postseason) or spend 72 hours in a CHL training camp he becomes ineligible for NCAA play. Most CIS schools are full of CHL graduates. According to the 2006-07 CHL media guide over 440 CHL graduates played in the CIS during the 2005-06 season. Also it's not unheard of for some CIS players to have played one or two seasons of pro hockey (Central League, UHL, ECHL, SPHL, even AHL) before they enroll in university. The NCAA would have to realx the no CHL rule somewhat for the first couple of years a Canadian school is a member.

Oh, Canadian football isn't so great anyway. Punting on third down and awarding one point for touchbacks doesn't appeal to me.

...not to mention the football technically being a different shape than the American version. Dirty Canuckistanis. What's next, the fluoridation of our water supply, Mandrake?

Oh, Canadian football isn't so great anyway. Punting on third down and awarding one point for touchbacks doesn't appeal to me.

...not to mention the football technically being a different shape than the American version. Dirty Canuckistanis. What's next, the fluoridation of our water supply, Mandrake?

I think you're being facetious, but I really don't care for Canadian football. I just think we did it better. The NFL needs to allow missed extra points to be run back, though.

If the sports are already playing by the same rules, I see no problem with it. Right now, plenty of US college hockey teams play Canadian teams for exhibitions, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for hockey.

The only issue in hockey is that the NCAA doesn't allow players who have played CHL hockey. Once a players has played one game (preseason, regular season or postseason) or spend 72 hours in a CHL training camp he becomes ineligible for NCAA play. Most CIS schools are full of CHL graduates. According to the 2006-07 CHL media guide over 440 CHL graduates played in the CIS during the 2005-06 season. Also it's not unheard of for some CIS players to have played one or two seasons of pro hockey (Central League, UHL, ECHL, SPHL, even AHL) before they enroll in university. The NCAA would have to realx the no CHL rule somewhat for the first couple of years a Canadian school is a member.

Yeah it's pretty bad up in here in Canada, I don't even know if there's an age limit to our sports or not, I mean I remember seeing the St FX quarterback when they came to play Mount Allison and he's like 28 years old or something, it's ridiculous. And I recall that when St Mary's had that ridiculously good football team, the average age was like 25.

I think you're being facetious,

You're rather keen, sniffing out Dr. Strangelove quotes like that. ;)

but I really don't care for Canadian football. I just think we did it better. The NFL needs to allow missed extra points to be run back, though.

It's a little germane to the discussion (though for the record I agree with you), as whether Canuckistani Football is good or not won't keep them from joining. What will, however, would be how to deal with it. There's no way the big Canadian schools are going to dump what is in many ways their other national game for the American version, and the NCAA probably won't budge on rules or game play differences. I-AAA division (Too Many Players/Too Few Downs Subdivision) for Canadian schools could be a possibility, as it would allow them to keep the game they have that is unique to them, and for other sports where adapting isn't much of an issue, they could compete with everyone else.

Yeah it's pretty bad up in here in Canada, I don't even know if there's an age limit to our sports or not, I mean I remember seeing the St FX quarterback when they came to play Mount Allison and he's like 28 years old or something, it's ridiculous. And I recall that when St Mary's had that ridiculously good football team, the average age was like 25.

The Division 1 Age Rule is as such:

In Division I only, if a student-athlete has participated as an individual or as a team representative in organized sports competition, that kind of participation during each 12-month period after his/her 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment will count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Any participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services will be excepted.

This is stupid. I mean, the N does stand for "National" after all, not "National, except for some schools in Canada".

The "N" in the NHL refers to Canada, but last time I looked 24 out of 30 teams were in the States.

How could the "N" in NHL refer to Canada if FOUR of the "ORIGINAL SIX" teams came from the United States????

Oh, what's that? Only two of the so called "Original Six" were actually in the original NHL? Ok. That would explain it then.

[/off-topic, semi-sarcastic rant about how the term "Original Six" is complete crap]

No kidding U of T sucks, the Varsity Blues are on a 41 game losing streak, incing closer to the CIS record 47 game losing streak by York a few years back. Granted they haven't really had a home to play on because they tore down Varsity Stadium in 2001 and have been playing in places off campus since then. It's replacement, the Varsity Centre is very close to completion and hopefully the Blues will get back on track soon. :cursing:http://www.varsitycentre.ca/

I have no clue about college football in Canada but the main reason I would like to see Toronto or McGill if the Big East ever expanded is because they are some what in the Big East region and the Big East does not need anymore southern schools. Also an early season road game in Toronto or Montreal would be great for the fans like me who travel to a away game.

If I were the CFL I'd be very concerned right about now. If many colleges and universities start playing in the NCAA, they will start playing by US rules. If they start playing in the NCAA playing US rules and are seen more often on TV, I think high school programs could potentially start switching to US rules too in order to attract attention of Canadian colleges playing by US rules. If that happens, the younger generations will be even more exposed to US rules and as such be playing US rules more often. Pee-Wee (Pop Warner) leagues will be more likely to play US rules to prep them for high school. In a matter of a few decades, the Canadian version of football could face extinction if the youth of Canada. The CFL might be the last institution after that still playing by Canadian rules and even then they might begrudgingly consider changing some if not all of the rules if all the younger footballers are playing by US rules- especially if the idea of bringing the NFL into Toronto comes up again. As it is they are already bringing in a regular season game into the country within the next two years.

It might sound a little over the top but the point is if you make it so the nation's youth are playing one type of game, they'll be more inclined to follow the version of the game they played in their non-playing years and will be that much more likely to pass that version off to their children.

The NCAA has the best incentive for Canadian schools to make the switch- money. I've seen kids all over Canada wearing Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, UCLA, and Miami U stuff. I have never seen much for Western or U of T or Laval being worn in Canada let alone the US. That might change if the schools are seen on TV in Bowl games. Many people forget that sports in colleges and university is sometime their best advertising which leads to more donations and higher enrollments, which leads to more money.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I have no clue about college football in Canada but the main reason I would like to see Toronto or McGill if the Big East ever expanded is because they are some what in the Big East region and the Big East does not need anymore southern schools. Also an early season road game in Toronto or Montreal would be great for the fans like me who travel to a away game.

Eh, just replace U of T with Western :P

Still, IMO, if the top Canadian schools joined the NCAA it would be best if they came in as a new "Canadian Conference." It'll make the transition easier.

One of the big reasons I'm puling for this is because it might finally force Western to build a decent football stadium.

As for the inferiority complex thing, I don't think it'll be a problem. As Fred T. Jane pointed out NAIA schools are already "inferior" to NCAA schools. So what would emerge would be a system where you have the two "lesser" leagues, NAIA in the States, CIS in Canada, with the best schools from both countries in the NCAA.

The rules difference could be a problem. Personally I don't think either version is superior. American football is more "refined," whereas Canadian football still contains some rugby elements. On the other hand, I enjoy the fast paced Canadian football style over the American run/pass balanced style. I enjoy a good passing contest, and Canadian football always delivers.

A NCAA-wide mixture of Canadian and American rules would be the best solution, but I don't see that going over very well with the American schools.

So how about this solution, you just play by the home team's rules? An American team visiting a Canadian team will play by Canadian rules, and a Canadian team visiting a team in the States will play by American rules.

Archived