Sign in to follow this  
footballfiji

New Nebraska-Omaha Football Helmet and Logo

the reason they used that logo is because they wanted to incorporate the city of omaha with UNO.....the basketball and soccer teams began using that logo this year...

I like that a lot. For colleges, I tend to prefer more "iconic" symbols; rather than messy, cluttered images (e.g., Boise State, with the wordmark plus the bronco logo).

Personal note: I always try to pay attention to UNO - my parents met each other there while they were both getting their undergrad degrees...of course, it was called the "University of Omaha" in those days...and, one of their classmates there (and friend) was Peter Fonda...

ah, so UNO alums are gonna start tellin everybody they graduated from "Tha O" now, huh? :D

Hopefully the unis will make them more distinctive. This is just a letter on a helmet, which would be fine for a more universally known school. But this just doesn't stand out in any way, I would have no idea who it was if not for this thread. There's only so much you can do with an "O". But colors aside, this reminds me of a few different schools right off the bat. Oregon and Miami come to mind, as well as Penn, with their two-colored "P".

It's cool to emphasize the Omaha identity, but I just don't think they can pull off a distinctive identity with just the "O". "UNO", or even spelling out Omaha would've been a better idea. They're not a classic, iconic school that can expect to be recognized by a letter on a helmet.

they should use the maverick head logo for the football helmets. I do not like the O logo at all.

Being as close to UNO as I am, I think this is a wise move on UNO's part to make the Omaha part of the name the larger focus.

Now, I wonder if this will become a athletic department wide change? Will the hockey team be sporting the duel colored 'O' in the future?

Is it just me or do Schutt DNA's look good no matter what.

Is it just me or do Schutt DNA's look good no matter what.

Yeah, it is just you.

Looks like they are using Miami's font package

lg_bellingmonger0607_holidayinn3525.jpg

Mods, do your thing if you have to, but with the Miami style front, doesn't letter "a" look like a backwark "S" or is it that these women in the photo have backward chests?

The helmet and font made to mimic Miami is just lame and almost high-schoolish. If the school wants to carve out a new identity, carve out a NEW identity, not copy one that they think is a "winner". It reminds me a little bit of how Santa Clara came out with a new look and you could tell it was more than a little Denver Broncos in style. Didn't go over too well on this forum.

Was somebody making the point that noone outside of Omaha will know what the O will be? I agree. But if it was more distinctive and unique, people might actually want to know what the O is for. Or go back to find a good UNO lettering.

I always thought that UNO should emphasize "NEBRASKA" for Ice Hockey since they are the only D1 hockey program in the state.