What's wrong with this jersey?

Sodboy13

It's wild to see some of the issues that some of you have had with City Sports Lettering. I haven't ordered from them in a few years, but I have had 4 Blackhawks jerseys customized there, and also a Belfour Dallas Stars jersey. I've always been more than pleased with the outcome, and I'm just as picky as the rest of you. Of course, like I said, it's been a few years...about 5...so things could have changed. I've recommended them to others in the recent past, but I'll be a little hesitant now.

It's wild to see some of the issues that some of you have had with City Sports Lettering. I haven't ordered from them in a few years, but I have had 4 Blackhawks jerseys customized there, and also a Belfour Dallas Stars jersey. I've always been more than pleased with the outcome, and I'm just as picky as the rest of you. Of course, like I said, it's been a few years...about 5...so things could have changed. I've recommended them to others in the recent past, but I'll be a little hesitant now.

See, yours is a different animal, though. If they advertise that they are the official suppliers to the Blackhawks, then they'd better do those ones right. And Dallas uses a pretty standard font for both their numbers and nameplates. It sounds like, when you want something a little different than a standard varsity block, that's where they have problems.

Ok, Iv'e never had apparel customized so excuse the dumb questions. You were paying the company to put a players name and number on a jersey? Isn't that why they sell licensed player jerseys? I mean, if the name and numbers are being added after the fact wouldn't that make it counterfeit?

No. Especially if the name/number/jersey combination isn't available any other way than customizing it. I did a little quick research just now, and an alternate Halladay from mlb.com's shop will run you $209 plus shipping (because it must be custom-made). The unlettered alternate is available for $139. The lettering from EPS runs $44. That's already $183 (compare to the $209). And by the way, EPS is licensed by all four major leagues.

That's why people send jerseys to be customized - it's sometimes cheaper to have a third-party do it than to have it done when they order the jersey initally.

Jersey customized from those kinds of shops should be exact because they should be able to order the exact same letters and numbers from the lettering makers (which I assume in this case would be RJ Liebe). Usually, Majestic gets all of the numbers and letters ordered from Liebe when they are making the game jerseys. A local place usually handles the call-ups and other recently acquired players.

If you send it into EPS, they can remove the incorrect letters and numbers from the jersey and then apply the correct letters. But, it will cost you a good bit. The standard stripping fee is $25, plus it costing $45 for the correct name and number Jays alt set.

Anyway, this should explain it all. I sure hope that this will not be more trouble than it is worth.

http://www.exclusivepro.com/strippingandcustomizingPage.htm

I'm even more glad that the main reason I originally ordered from EPS was ordering the full jersey was cheaper than City. The only regret I had was that I got a Johnny Estrada Braves alt jersey right before he got injured. Oh well. At least he didn't leave the team on bad terms, so I guess it is still alright to wear his jersey around. Heck, I still see people wearing JD Drew Braves jerseys in the stands when the Braves are on TV.

Well, like I said, my previous experiences with City Sports were positive. They did these two for me:

tblalt.jpg

PICT0390.jpg

And they also did a first-rate job on a Thrashers jersey I brought in. That made this whole Blue Jays ordeal even more maddening - I know you guys can do exacting, top-quality work when you want to, so why did you totally screw this one up?

And ebod, the only compensation I was offered was an offer to srip the jersey, and a store credit. Yeah, like I'm gonna do business with them after this, and like I'm gonna leave that jersey in their hands again, and maybe get it by the All-Star Break.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And ebod, the only compensation I was offered was an offer to srip the jersey, and a store credit. Yeah, like I'm gonna do business with them after this, and like I'm gonna leave that jersey in their hands again, and maybe get it by the All-Star Break.

If store credit means you can get some loose numbers, let me know. If they actually make the correct Packers 5, I'd buy the numbers from you.

PM me (or post here) for details.

It's where I sit.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I was just flippin' around and happened to turn on ESPN2. New Mexico State is playing against Nevada. I saw one of the players on NMSU and he was wearing number 32. My question is this, would the incorrect numbers they put on Sodboy's Blue Jays jersey happen to be NMSU's number font?

-E.A.R.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I was just flippin' around and happened to turn on ESPN2. New Mexico State is playing against Nevada. I saw one of the players on NMSU and he was wearing number 32. My question is this, would the incorrect numbers they put on Sodboy's Blue Jays jersey happen to be NMSU's number font?

-E.A.R.

Yes. They must have ordered those jerseys before Adidas went to a new manufacturer for their basketball uniforms. When they used Betlin (now known as Athletix), the Blue Jays-style font was known as "Speedline". Northwestern wore the same font on their football uniforms for a few seasons. I don't know the new options that teams have font wise with ACO, but I don't think that that font is available.

RLYGLUYLIQODEBV.20061228213656.jpg

Interesting. Hard to tell from this angle, but I'd guess NMSU is using standard Crillee for the lettering, and the Blue Jays' numeral font. I wasn't able to find a pic with #32, but the 2 in this pic appears to have the proper curves. I think my jersey was more of a handmade abomination when it came to the numbers. Ah well, it's in the hands of EPS now. At least, I think it is... called them to make sure they got the shipment and haven't heard back.

Oh, graphite, you are my albatross.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 months later...

Ahh, now this is more like it.

fixed1.jpg

fixed2.jpg

Thank you, Exclusive Pro, and thank you to those who pointed me in their direction. I'm sure I'll be shipping jerseys off to Rockford again in the future.

Archived