Steelers' new uniforms?

mustangdmg

I was reading ESPN's Steelers' board and came upon this...

Steelers considering some uniform changes to coincide with the fresh start with Tomlin...A return to the block numerals...the stripe design on the sleeves to be done away with and replaced by plain sleeves, ala Giants (home uniforms) and Raiders...Steeler logo on the chest will also be removed...a small "Steelers" script logo (with the lines through the letters "S" and "e") will appear at the bottom of the collar (ala Dolphins script logo on their jerseys)...yellow stripe on helmet to be removed...pants will remain, though team is considering white pants with a thick black stripe, outlined in gold, as an alternative pants scheme for home or away...

I don't hear anything about a change to the uniforms. I hope not! But one thing I don't mind seeing a change is the numerals. I'd see the block numerals back. Have any of you hear a noise about it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way would they change. The only changes they could get away with are black numerals and maybe a gray facemask on the helmet. The uniforms themselves have been unchanged through more than 50 years and 5 Super Bowls.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente,

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Just change the number font back to block. Radical idea for the roads: black nameplates with Pittsburgh-gold letters on the white shirts. Too 1980 USA Hockey? I just don't like yellow on white.

Rooney resisted all the changes Nike suggested. The only one he would allow was the italic numbers.

Why would he undo that change, just to change a bunch of other things? Doesn't make sense.

I can see removing the patch, and adding a wordmark. I could even believe that they'd add white pants, as much as I don't want to see them. But remove the helmet stripe? Why?

That just seems a change for change's sake, which he has been shown to avoid when urged in the past.

The only way that the Steelers could improve on their look would be to change their team colors to teal and orange, wear long-sleeves, add another 6 stripes to their helmet, move their helmet logo to the front, change the pants to skorts, and then change their name to the Pittsburgh Magical Unicorns. Aside from that, I would keep their current look.

I would hate to see the yellow stripe removed from the Steelers' helmets. Block numbers on the uniforms would be a welcome change.

Why not also go back to the traditional face masks (such as the half cage face masks that Colts QB Peyton Manning sported while playing his college ball at Tennessee and during his first few seasons with Indianapolis)? :D

LEONARD WEIRICH

FAN OF THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS SINCE 2005

LOVE THOSE NATS!!!

The only big change I can see is that the NFL finally lets the Steelers use the gold alt. along with a number font change on all of the jerseys either back to the block look or something new. Also the Steelers will ditch the sleeve stripes when jerseys no long have sleeves which might come about pretty soon, most linemen on the team have ditched them for the muscle shirt look.

I was reading ESPN's Steelers' board and came upon this...

Steelers considering some uniform changes to coincide with the fresh start with Tomlin...A return to the block numerals...the stripe design on the sleeves to be done away with and replaced by plain sleeves, ala Giants (home uniforms) and Raiders...Steeler logo on the chest will also be removed...a small "Steelers" script logo (with the lines through the letters "S" and "e") will appear at the bottom of the collar (ala Dolphins script logo on their jerseys)...yellow stripe on helmet to be removed...pants will remain, though team is considering white pants with a thick black stripe, outlined in gold, as an alternative pants scheme for home or away...

I don't hear anything about a change to the uniforms. I hope not! But one thing I don't mind seeing a change is the numerals. I'd see the block numerals back. Have any of you hear a noise about it?

Wait...From everything I have ever read on this board about uni changes in the NFL they must be submitted 2 years or so prior. So unless some one knew 2 years ago that Cowher was leaving I doubt any changes have anything to do with Tomlin.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The only way that the Steelers could improve on their look would be to change their team colors to teal and orange, wear long-sleeves, add another 6 stripes to their helmet, move their helmet logo to the front, change the pants to skorts, and then change their name to the Pittsburgh Magical Unicorns. Aside from that, I would keep their current look.

:winner:

No way would they change. The only changes they could get away with are black numerals and maybe a gray facemask on the helmet. The uniforms themselves have been unchanged through more than 50 years and 5 Super Bowls.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente,

At the risk of being a nitpicker, I must point out that the Steelers started wearing their current set in 1968, which means they've remained essentially unchanged (aside from facemask color and jersey font) for more like 39 years. Also, they've WON five Super Bowls but they've actually played in six...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I don't think that big of a change should/will happen. I like the idea of block numbers again. But, I like seeing changes, so I don't think I'd mind...... But, I am a Browns Fan.

Don't get me wrong, The steelers look is classic, and they don't need a big change like this.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I love the look of that mock-up -- for any other team in black and gold. It's just not the Steelers. The only change I'd like to see with the Steelers is a return to the block numbers.

Add gold pants to that mock-up and I think that would look great for, say, the Iowa Hawkeyes...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Archived