Steelers' new uniforms?

mustangdmg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change back to block letters and all of a sudden the Steelers are copying Iowa this time. Answer: Iowa do something else!

Those rumors are ridiculous. Anyway i'm tired of everyone complaining about the block numbers. i think what they have now are great and unique in their own way. If anything i think they look even more classic than their block numbers. How long have the bears had their slim numbers? Forever? I know it was hard for many fans to come to grips with, and obviously some still haven't but they did it right. The steelers did it right, they used a font that the team has long been using, their helmet number font. They didn't use drop shadow or outline them in gold. They were already italicized so they left them that way. I think its one of the most understated jersey updates that has come along, or maybe I grew up with them and are used to them. :rolleyes: I guess i would be fine if they ever did switch back but I really see no use or merit in it, especially after we finally won a super bowl with them. Now the jerseys match their helmets. very solid uniformity which is what this board is usually about.

Oh yeah, the Bengals are an example of a team doing it completely wrong by the way. outlined in orange? no precedent for the font? terrible.

Change back to block letters and all of a sudden the Steelers are copying Iowa this time. Answer: Iowa do something else!

Those rumors are ridiculous. Anyway i'm tired of everyone complaining about the block numbers. i think what they have now are great and unique in their own way. If anything i think they look even more classic than their block numbers. How long have the bears had their slim numbers? Forever? I know it was hard for many fans to come to grips with, and obviously some still haven't but they did it right. The steelers did it right, they used a font that the team has long been using, their helmet number font. They didn't use drop shadow or outline them in gold. They were already italicized so they left them that way. I think its one of the most understated jersey updates that has come along, or maybe I grew up with them and are used to them. :rolleyes: I guess i would be fine if they ever did switch back but I really see no use or merit in it, especially after we finally won a super bowl with them. Now the jerseys match their helmets. very solid uniformity which is what this board is usually about.

Oh yeah, the Bengals are an example of a team doing it completely wrong by the way. outlined in orange? no precedent for the font? terrible.

No, the font doesn't match the helmets. The font on the jerseys is italicized, and straight on the helmets. Screwing with tradition and using that font on the jerseys is one thing, but making it italic for no reason so it doesn't even match the helmet, which was the original goal, is dumb.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Along with every other good reason that this rumor is ridiculous, the concept of the Steelers wanting a "fresh start" is laughable. It's not like the Cowher era was some kind of disaster. My Saints needed a "fresh start" (and got one), Arizona needs a "fresh start," Oakland needs a "fresh start." The Pittsburgh Steelers do NOT need a "fresh start."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Why not also go back to the traditional face masks (such as the half cage face masks that Colts QB Peyton Manning sported while playing his college ball at Tennessee and during his first few seasons with Indianapolis)? :D

Unfortunately the "traditional" face masks don't fit on the new Riddell Revolution helmets or on the Schutt DNA helmets. However, I have noticed that Riddell makes a more "normal" looking facemask than that odd one Manning wears for the Revolution helmets; a lot of players have switched over to that style.

[rant]

Anyway i'm tired of everyone complaining about the block numbers.

Well, get used to it. I hated them when they came out to the point of almost being physically ill, and I hate them to this day.

i think what they have now are great and unique in their own way. If anything i think they look even more classic than their block numbers.

Can I have some of whatever it is you were smoking prior to posting this? If looking like :censored: equals classic, then, yeah, I agree. Otherwise, you're clueless about this.

How long have the bears had their slim numbers? Forever? I know it was hard for many fans to come to grips with, and obviously some still haven't but they did it right.

And thats evidenced by the fact that old-style Pittsburgh Steelers replica jerseys rank among the highest selling among NFL teams despite being at inflated prices, while the team's current look ranks in the mid-20's among teams despite winning a Super Bowl less than a year ago, right?

The steelers did it rightall wrong, they used a font that the team has long been usingthey should have instead eliminated from their helmets. They didn't use drop shadow or outline them in gold. because that would look even worse. They were alreadyn't italicized on the helmets so they left them that wayscrewed that up while they were at it. I think its one of the most understatedGod-awful jersey updates that has come along, or maybe I grew up with them and are used to themjust don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

There. Fixed that for ya.

I guess i would be fine if they ever did switch back but I really see no use or merit in it, especially after we finally won a super bowl with them. Now the jerseys match their helmets. very solid uniformity which is what this board is usually about.

"We?" Y'know, I might be feeling like a curmudgeon today, but it always makes me chuckle when a fan refers to the team they support like this, as if they were out there catching the touchdown pass, throwing the 3-hit shutout, hitting the jump shot. "We" didn't do jack, Sox. "They" won a Super Bowl, and despite it their jersey sales still suck compared to most NFL teams.

And ultimately that's what its all about - sales - its a revenue stream. Match or no match, look decent or look like :censored:, ultimately its about whatever generates the most revenue for NFL Business Ventures (nee NFL Properties). It's a business like any other. Do you root for HP's profits to increase this quarter because you own an OfficeJet? I'd bet you don't. The NFL's exactly about the same thing - maximizing profit centers for their 32 club owners... and someday, ultimately, pressure will come down to get rid of those ridiculous uniforms and go back to the varsity block look. And when that happens, I and apparently a number of others here will be happy campers indeed.

[/rant]

Sorry. Don't mean to get on you there Sox... I just can't fathom ANYONE who likes those God-awful things.

nav-logo.png

Rather than quoting Mad Mac, I'll just say that I like the Steelers new uniforms better than their old ones, along with SoxSteeler. The number font was updated and made unique (I don't think unique and weird are synonyms) without going overboard or looking ridiculous, although I wouldn't mind if it wasn't subtly italic. The Steelers patch on the front isn't great, but it's not bad.

I don't agree with the point that since their jersey sales suck now, and the throwbacks are selling better, that the old numbers are obviously better. If uniform sales are the end-all, you could say that the Falcons and Seahawks are among the best-designed jerseys in the game. Also, anytime a team wins a championship (in any sport), throwback sales surge as fans try to show that they've always been there, and didn't just jump on the bandwagon - particularily with a team with a successful history, like the Steelers.

You know, I can see how some people like the old numbers better. I don't agree with them. But I don't think that means they are stupid or high.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Geez, I haven't been around the forum in like a month and I come back to this!!!! Oh the horror! Please tell me this is a joke. One of the most classic looks in the league can't be messed with.

Maybe the memo about uniform changes was meant to go to the Bills and not the Steelers.

Just a thought.

"We?" Y'know, I might be feeling like a curmudgeon today, but it always makes me chuckle when a fan refers to the team they support like this, as if they were out there catching the touchdown pass, throwing the 3-hit shutout, hitting the jump shot. "We" didn't do jack, Sox. "They" won a Super Bowl, and despite it their jersey sales still suck compared to most NFL teams.

Y'know, it's funny. I really go back and forth on this. Fans obviously don't make plays on the field, but teams sell them on the idea of being an integral part of a club. Fans can create a disruptive din, cause false starts and make it very uncomfortable for a visiting team. That sense of belonging is especially true with soccer clubs overseas where actual "club memberships" are sold. So while I understand your reply, MM, I'm not really bummed when fans say "we." I certainly am when media members do...

Sorry to hijack -- I too, loathe the current numbers and wish they'd go back to the block numbers. Strong, classic, tough-looking.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

So while I understand your reply, MM, I'm not really bummed when fans say "we." I certainly am when media members do...

I'm not bummed by it so much as amused. While what you say is true, trust me when I say that the fans are nothing more than customers to professional sports teams - the more, the better for the club in question, but trust me they don't have the impact they believe they do

nav-logo.png

the jersey sales figures that you're using for your end all be all argument for a needed change is ridiculous. all the hardcore fans that buy merchandise blew all their money before during and immediately after the super bowl. With the fans more than well stocked on gear they aren't going to buy more during a failure of a season that is Pittsburgh not making the playoffs. you are basically implying that fans are all just dumb consumer drones but they aren't dumb enough to lose the inherit notion of "buying while the stocks are high." Not everybody is like this of course i'm just trying to put things in terms that you might be able to understand.

way to intentionally be a jerk by dissecting my post line for line and ranting like an unintelligible baby.

the jersey sales figures that you're using for your end all be all argument for a needed change is ridiculous. all the hardcore fans that buy merchandise blew all their money before during and immediately after the super bowl. With the fans more than well stocked on gear they aren't going to buy more during a failure of a season that is Pittsburgh not making the playoffs. you are basically implying that fans are all just dumb consumer drones but they aren't dumb enough to lose the inherit notion of "buying while the stocks are high." Not everybody is like this of course i'm just trying to put things in terms that you might be able to understand.

way to intentionally be a jerk by dissecting my post line for line and ranting like an unintelligible baby.

Actually the latest numbers I saw were from March 2006, including the run-up period to Super Bowl XL, not after. So your argument about hardcore fans and what-not doesn't hold much water. In terms of the so-called 'throwback' market, Steeler jerseys ranked #3 overall, while their current jersey was #24 in sales. Simply put, there's something to that considering the widespread, national fan base the Steelers have.

I'm not implying that fans are dumb customer drones - quite the opposite - they know what looks good and what they like. Based on the sales figures, they like the old look better, and TPTB in the NFL don't give a damn about how a team looks on the field versus how much coin they can accumulate. If changing back to the old look results in greater overall sales revenue for NFL Business Ventures, trust me - they'll change back. The league doesn't videotape tests of proposed helmet and uniform changes under stadium lights for nothing - they do it to see how they can make their product (in this case, the jerseys or helmets) as marketable as possible. How does it look on TV? That's the question they're asking.

I apologize for acting the curmudgeon in the previous post, but the fact is that, like the Milwaukee Brewers with the ball-in-glove logo, Pittsburgh Steeler fans if given the choice at the same price would buy the jerseys with the old-style, block lettering. By a wide margin.

trust me when I say that the fans are nothing more than customers to professional sports teams - the more, the better for the club in question, but trust me they don't have the impact they believe they do

Maybe true for most teams, but not all.... :therock:

Tell that to fans of the Cleveland Browns or Houston Oilers, whose owners yanked them away from their "beloved fans" because there was more overall money to be made in Baltimore and Nashville. If those two teams moving doesn't drive home that professional sports is a business first and foremost, nothing will.

Sadly, the days of owning a pro sports franchise being a public trust are long over. I only wish it weren't so.

nav-logo.png

Archived