NHL: No Schedule Format Change

DMadSport

The NHL's Board of Governors voted down any chance of a schedule format change for 2007-2008 in meetings today (1/23). The closest there was to a change was one of the plans falling one vote short of the two-thirds necessary to make a change.

This means that each NHL team will still play 8 games versus teams from their own division, as well as only 10 games against the other conference (playing teams from only two of the three divisions)... the same pattern that's been in use since the lockout. This also means that teams won't get to see every other team at least once in the season (a downer for those who want to see the likes of Sidney Crosby in their arena at least once).

One other side effect: Next year, there won't be any matchups between teams from Eastern and Western Canada (as the Northeast and Northwest Divisions are not scheduled to play each other).

More here from cbc.ca.

Why does the NHL hate its fans?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why does the NHL hate its fans?

From what I have heard, the committee could not agree on an alternative plan, so they agreed to use the current setup for another season to give proper time to come up with a decent proposal.

I like it, divisional games have more intensity than non-divisional games. The more the better because intense physical games are fun.

I dunno, I think the hockey world would be a better place with fewer St. Louis/Columbus games (esp. if they got to play everyone once)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Blah the NHL must be on terminal PMS for that.. I wonder, did the NHL ever discuss reverting back from 6 divisions to 4 divisions or was that shot down as well??

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

All the Eastern Conference team fans love it.

All the Western Conference team fans hate it.

No Hockey Day in Canada in 2008.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

That's exactly the point - nothing's wrong with that. But out here, I'm sick of every 4th game being Wild vs. Edmonton/Vancouver/Calgary/Colorado... Those cities have no historical rivalry here in Minnesota, and yet the Wild play them every other game.

The biggest deal is when the Wild play someone like Toronto (who, in six years, has only visited the Xcel, what, once or twice :shocked: ), or when Pittsburgh comes (wether it was Mario comming to town, or now Crosby). Why deny half the league of your best players? Fans want to see Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, and the like. As it is now, at best, they come once every other year; and sometimes not even that often...

Moose

It's ridiculous that a league playing an 82 game schedule doesn't have every team playing each of the others at least once...

I can see it in the NFL--32 teams--16 games--okay--can't do it.

While you may get some good matchups more often, as pointed out--you get weak matchups even more often.

The idea is to build the rivalries--but in the 80's they tried something similar--and guess what--it got boring--quickly...

Give me variety.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The current schedule pisses me off. As a native Michigander and a Detroit Red Wings fan living in Boston, I haven't been able to see my team play in person for the last 2 years.

I like the NBA 82-game scheduling format: play teams outside your conference home-and-home (30 games total) and play teams inside your conference 2 home, 2 away with a few exceptions (52 out of a possible 56 games to make 82 total).

That way, every team is guaranteed to play every other team in each possible city, while maintaining an emphasis on conference and divisional play.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I like the idea of more in-division games, although I think you should play every team in the league....if the NHL were to implement something similar to what the NBA does would work well.

i agree, this sucks watching the flames,oilers,wild and avalanche in what seems like every other game

I like the idea of more in-division games, although I think you should play every team in the league....if the NHL were to implement something similar to what the NBA does would work well.

i agree, this sucks watching the flames,oilers,wild and avalanche in what seems like every other game

And that's from someone where the regional and historical rivalry does matter. Like I said in my first post, here in Minnesota, those teams (Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton) have no regional or historical significance... I'd gladly give up several of the games vs. those teams for a guaranteed game vs. Toronto, or Pittsburgh, or Boston, or Montreal, or Buffalo, or Washington each year at home...

Moose

I know a bunch of Bruins and Leafs fans who were so sick of hearing of them playing so many times against each other for the past month. These 8 games a season rivalries are only good if you actually spread them out over the entire season. But you have some stretches where you play the same team 3 times in a week and, no matter how good the rivalry may be, fans tire of it quickly.

It doesn't hurt when you get to watch a good rivalry many times a year, but sucks beans when you have to watch a really pathetic matchup 8 times a year.

BTW, the vote for the change was 19-11 in favor of change. But because they need 20 votes, it couldn't pass. What a shame.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I know a bunch of Bruins and Leafs fans who were so sick of hearing of them playing so many times against each other for the past month.

Include me and most of my friends, family and co-workers in that group...

Nov 9: Tor at Bos

Nov 16: Tor at Bos

Nov 25: Bos at Tor

Nov 27: Bos at Tor

Dec 7: Tor at Bos

Five games in less than a month

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

That's exactly the point - nothing's wrong with that. But out here, I'm sick of every 4th game being Wild vs. Edmonton/Vancouver/Calgary/Colorado... Those cities have no historical rivalry here in Minnesota, and yet the Wild play them every other game.

The biggest deal is when the Wild play someone like Toronto (who, in six years, has only visited the Xcel, what, once or twice :shocked: ), or when Pittsburgh comes (wether it was Mario comming to town, or now Crosby). Why deny half the league of your best players? Fans want to see Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, and the like. As it is now, at best, they come once every other year; and sometimes not even that often...

Moose

I was speaking more towards an acceptable HDIC lineup but your points are understood.

Archived