NHL: No Schedule Format Change

DMadSport

All the Eastern Conference team fans love it.

All the Western Conference team fans hate it.

No Hockey Day in Canada in 2008.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

No Vancouver?

Montreal v Toronto

Ottawa v Buffalo?

Calgary v Edmonton

Vancouver v Detroit?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I know a bunch of Bruins and Leafs fans who were so sick of hearing of them playing so many times against each other for the past month. These 8 games a season rivalries are only good if you actually spread them out over the entire season. But you have some stretches where you play the same team 3 times in a week and, no matter how good the rivalry may be, fans tire of it quickly.

It doesn't hurt when you get to watch a good rivalry many times a year, but sucks beans when you have to watch a really pathetic matchup 8 times a year.

BTW, the vote for the change was 19-11 in favor of change. But because they need 20 votes, it couldn't pass. What a shame.

exactly, the canucks played calgary 5 times last month including a game on january 2nd, but they also only played colorado once, so now we get to see a bunch of colorado canucks games coming up. i think this may be why attendance is down, people in nashville and st louis dont want to see the red wings a bunch of times they want to see oveckkin and crosby who are suppose to be bringing the fans back even thouhg have the leauges fans get to see them live, if they played less more people would exicted to see the games, like when toronto played vancouver it seemed like every one watched that game. compared to a calgary canuck game that most people are bored of

I know a bunch of Bruins and Leafs fans who were so sick of hearing of them playing so many times against each other for the past month. These 8 games a season rivalries are only good if you actually spread them out over the entire season. But you have some stretches where you play the same team 3 times in a week and, no matter how good the rivalry may be, fans tire of it quickly.

It doesn't hurt when you get to watch a good rivalry many times a year, but sucks beans when you have to watch a really pathetic matchup 8 times a year.

BTW, the vote for the change was 19-11 in favor of change. But because they need 20 votes, it couldn't pass. What a shame.

exactly, the canucks played calgary 5 times last month including a game on january 2nd, but they also only played colorado once, so now we get to see a bunch of colorado canucks games coming up. i think this may be why attendance is down, people in nashville and st louis dont want to see the red wings a bunch of times they want to see oveckkin and crosby who are suppose to be bringing the fans back even thouhg have the leauges fans get to see them live, if they played less more people would exicted to see the games, like when toronto played vancouver it seemed like every one watched that game. compared to a calgary canuck game that most people are bored of

But they also probably don't want to see the Philadelphia Flyers who are in last in the league who would also come in. Sure Crosby and Ovechkin come in for 1 game but so do the Flyers, and the Panthers. None of whom would draw as near as if the Red Wings came in a few more times. At least with the divisional setup if a last place teams come in a couple of times chances are it is probably a rivalry which would keep it a draw. The problem is the amount of games it's the spacing of those game which can easily be fixed.

But they also probably don't want to see the Philadelphia Flyers who are in last in the league who would also come in. Sure Crosby and Ovechkin come in for 1 game but so do the Flyers, and the Panthers. None of whom would draw as near as if the Red Wings came in a few more times. At least with the divisional setup if a last place teams come in a couple of times chances are it is probably a rivalry which would keep it a draw. The problem is the amount of games it's the spacing of those game which can easily be fixed.

Actually they would, if its the Flyers (easy win).

Seriously though, I'm sick and tired of watching the Blues get killed by the same teams every night. I want to lose to new and different teams.

EDIT-Just thought of something. Show of hands please...who thinks the NHL will again decide to change the schedule format if the Penguins indeed move west.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

Because the whole point of Hockey Day in Canada is to have the "Canadian" teams play each other in the three games. With no meetings between the East teams and the West teams next year, that can't happen..

I don't like that we have to play the four teams in our division so often. The Oilers play Minnesota 6 times before the end of the season - it's almost like a playoff series in itself. Most everyone I hear from here would like to see all the teams once a year here. Unfortunately some Eastern teams would have to travel more, and they don't seem to like that...

i've gotten so tired of seeing the same teams night after night that i've almost lost interest in watching the game all together. theres only so much rangers, flyers and penguins games i can tolerate in a setting before i get bored and want to watch something else.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So why not do this with the 82-game NHL Season:

You play each team in your division 8 times (32 games)

You play each team outside your division (no matter which conference you are in) twice for a total of 50 games.

But again, teams might get tired of playing the same team so much in the season. So spread the intra-divisional games towards the end of the season (similar to Baseball) so the division races can be intense.

The NHL's Board of Governors voted down any chance of a schedule format change for 2007-2008 in meetings today (1/23).

:censored:ing selfish idiots.

There's a serious problem when Brodeur, Crosby, Ovechkin and Sundin visit Colorado, Vancouver, Calgary, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Minnesota etc. one time every three years. You NEED to get your star players, especially the ones you are marketing as the face and future of your league, like Crosby, into each market once every year.

I can't imagine Ford promoting the hell out of the Mustang and then telling you you have to wait three years to spend your money on one. It's stupid. Just stupid.

It's also stupid that Minnesota and Dallas do not play a single division road game EVER, that's 16 games total every season kids, IN THEIR OWN TIME ZONE! They not only need to change the schedule, they need to realign as well.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

So why not do this with the 82-game NHL Season:

You play each team in your division 8 times (32 games)

You play each team outside your division (no matter which conference you are in) twice for a total of 50 games.

But again, teams might get tired of playing the same team so much in the season. So spread the intra-divisional games towards the end of the season (similar to Baseball) so the division races can be intense.

Does a Thrashers-Canucks game in March have any more importance than a Thrashers-Canucks game in October?

He said intra, not inter. Numerically, a Thrashers-Hurricanes game has no difference in importance whether it's in March or October, but it certainly feels that way. Same with baseball.

I'd love emphasizing the teams in my division if the divisions meant anything. Boston playing Montreal a lot? Yes. Flames and Oilers? Cool. Blackhawks and Blue Jackets/Predators? Considerably less so.

He said intra, not inter. Numerically, a Thrashers-Hurricanes game has no difference in importance whether it's in March or October, but it certainly feels that way. Same with baseball.

I'd love emphasizing the teams in my division if the divisions meant anything. Boston playing Montreal a lot? Yes. Flames and Oilers? Cool. Blackhawks and Blue Jackets/Predators? Considerably less so.

His idea of playing more division games late in season prompted my question. I know what I'm talking about.

Divisional races in the NHL aren't as meaningful because more teams reach the playoffs. Thus, spreading out the divisional games throughout the season, instead of lumping the majority of them in the last two months, won't bore the fans of seeing the same team. If I must see Carolina four times at Philips, I'd rather see them only once a month, not once in November and thrice in March.

Whats wrong with:

Boston v Montreal

Toronto v Ottawa

Edmonton v Calgary

Because the whole point of Hockey Day in Canada is to have the "Canadian" teams play each other in the three games. With no meetings between the East teams and the West teams next year, that can't happen..

I don't like that we have to play the four teams in our division so often. The Oilers play Minnesota 6 times before the end of the season - it's almost like a playoff series in itself. Most everyone I hear from here would like to see all the teams once a year here. Unfortunately some Eastern teams would have to travel more, and they don't seem to like that...

As far as HDIC goes, I'd actually put on 6 games that day, three for each conference, and let the CBC figure out the broadcasting teams.

East:

Toronto v Buffalo

Montreal v Boston

Ottawa v whoever

West"

Vancouver v Detroit

Edmonton v Colorado

Calgary v Minnesota

...and play up some other rivalries thusly

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As far as HDIC goes, I'd actually put on 6 games that day, three for each conference, and let the CBC figure out the broadcasting teams.

East:

Toronto v Buffalo

Montreal v Boston

Ottawa v whoever

West"

Vancouver v Detroit

Edmonton v Colorado

Calgary v Minnesota

The Senators should play Nashville, obviously.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

East:

Toronto v Buffalo

Montreal v Boston

Ottawa v whoever

West"

Vancouver v Detroit

Edmonton v Colorado

Calgary v Minnesota

The Senators should play Nashville, obviously.

You, sir, are a genius.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived