Oh Canada at NHL All-Star Game

DelayedPenalty

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why the NHL is failing miserably

They need to promote this game a whole lot more.

They need to promote it more, get coverage on a proper network, and make the ASG mean something. Melrose suggested on Sportscenter this morning that they follow the MLB trick and give the winning team home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup. I think it would work, give them something to play for.

Melrose suggested on Sportscenter this morning that they follow the MLB trick and give the winning team home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup.

NO. NO NO NO. :mad:

I'm not Canadian, but even I knew she screwed it up. How can you screw up a freaking national anthem?

Her falling on the ice was karma. Hockey gods must've given her a "little" push. :flagcanada:

Part of the problem with the All-Star Game is a lot of Hockey fans don't even care about it. I flipped back and forth last night between the All-Star Game and the American Idol auditions. I turned the game off all together in the 3rd because the game was so boring (should be a lesson for all those people who want high scoring, high scores don't equal excitement). The All-Star Game is a horrible promotion for the sport because the game is nothing like a regular season game. The ASG is basically is Basketball on ice, if I wanted to watch that I would turn basketball game (althoguh it wouldn't be on ice).

Not to mention that the game was on Versus and not NBC. Not everyone (including myself) gets Versus so we dont get to see all the games. Also is it me or does NBC just broadcast a game whenever they feel like it. Its like they are on one Saturday and not on the next.

Signature intentionally left blank

Not to mention that the game was on Versus and not NBC. Not everyone (including myself) gets Versus so we dont get to see all the games. Also is it me or does NBC just broadcast a game whenever they feel like it. Its like they are on one Saturday and not on the next.

As sad as it sounds, I think I'd prefer to see the NHL on FOX. They can even bring back the Fox-track puck! :rolleyes: Anything is better than a half-rate sports wannabe channel.

As sad as it sounds, I think I'd prefer to see the NHL on FOX. They can even bring back the Fox-track puck! :rolleyes: Anything is better than a half-rate sports wannabe channel.

Ah, yes, 97 ASG, Owen Nolan's hat trick.

"CAN YOU BELIEVE HE CALLED THE SHOT?!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kSb_5PHRb1w

i hear ya, I was wondering who thought a midweek ASG was a good idea. Skills challenges and all-star games are meant for the weekend (unless it's a baseball ASG, in which midweek's okay cus it's summer).

back to the anthem, she sucked. I coulda done better, but I figure Canadians would have a problem with some American singing "O Canada! Our home and native land!" especially one who's never been in the country. :D Funny thing, usually we're all groanin about the latest moron to turn the Star Spangled Banner into an American Idol audition and goin on about how Canadians rarely mangle their anthem like that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Ah, yes, 97 ASG, Owen Nolan's hat trick.

"CAN YOU BELIEVE HE CALLED THE SHOT?!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kSb_5PHRb1w

I did that once in a game..surprisingly, I didn't miss the net for once.

I actually changed the channel during the Canadian National Anthem. She just tried way too hard to be...I guess fancy is the word I'm looking for. Awful, just awful. I'm sure someone could've pulled a Stackhouse. Lubomir Visnovski? He sounds Canadian :D

Hey, about the Quebec people, are they singing a French version of the Canadian National Anthem?

The name is Giorgia Fumanti. Well, at least it wasn't the first time an anthem singer from Quebec fell to the ice.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/hockey/070122/h01229A.html

From that link we can read this one:

Fumanti came to Canada from Italy three years ago and is preparing to launch her second album in March.

So she isn't a Canadian born and maybe didn't learn properly to sing the National Anthem.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It's O Canada, not "Oh Canada".

Ok...thanks for pointing out the typo?

Anywho, I loved Edmonton's playoff run last year, and listening to EVERY fan sing the anthem at EVERY home game. My girlfriend, who is an American, commented on how great it was that Canadians have so much pride in their country and anthem. That's what makes Canada and Canadian hockey fans the greatest in the world! :flagcanada:

People need to learn:

That never fails to send chills up and down my spine.

now thats amazing

too bad for the american tradition of silence during the anthems.

Aw, c'mon, in Dallas, you know they bellow, (**) STARS (**) during the two occurrences that the word can be used. It's kinda funny if you hear it at a Stars game, in person. They were sure loud at the All-Star Game. :flagusa:

Here's an old clip I stumbled upon on an unrelated youtube search:

Kinda the American version of the Edmonton clip, usually only shown when we have troops fighting somewhere.

But seeing the Wales/Campbell Conference logos, the orange and black, and Chicago Stadium filled (and the passing comment about the game being televised live overseas) all made me wonder where the league is now - a weeknight all star game, bland stadiums, bland conference names, its a shame what happened in 16 years.

Kinda the American version of the Edmonton clip, usually only shown when we have troops fighting somewhere.

But seeing the Wales/Campbell Conference logos, the orange and black, and Chicago Stadium filled (and the passing comment about the game being televised live overseas) all made me wonder where the league is now - a weeknight all star game, bland stadiums, bland conference names, its a shame what happened in 16 years.

Eh, I don't know, I don't like that one much. I think if there's a version of the National Anthem that's as powerful as the Edmonton version of 'Oh Canada!' (I'm not even Canadian and that gives me chills) it would be Whitney Houston singing at Super Bowl XXV -- to me, anyway. That seems to be the one that people remember the most. I don't know, I don't particularly like the constant cheering during the Anthem in the one you shared.

IUe6Hvh.png

The difference, however, is that theyre cheering. Not singing.

Aw, c'mon, in Dallas, you know they bellow, STARS during the two occurrences that the word can be used. It's kinda funny if you hear it at a Stars game, in person. They were sure loud at the All-Star Game.

I noticed that. I thought it was kinda funny. I like going to pens games and hearing the same guy always yell "LETS GO PENS!!!" during the anthem. Towards the end we almost always drown it out.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived