Saintsfan challenge new year special

Saintsfan

I hope I am not stepping on any toes here, but I thought it would be quite fun and interesting to build an NHL franchise from the ground up as a board, so January's saintsfan challenges are going to be a week by week building of said franchise.

In this first stage you have until New Years day ( or sooner if we are flooded with nominations!!) to nominate a city that currently doesn't host NHL hockey but you think should. Your nominating post should contain an explanation as to why you think it deserves NHL hockey.

A vote will then be taken and the winning location will be the nominated location for other rounds, during which a name, logo and then a uniform will be designed.

Any city that could viably host NHL hockey is fine! (I have a feeling I know what some of the nominations will be *cough winnipeg cough cough hartford etc!)

The usual TBTC format for saintsfan challenges will return after this challenge is complete!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Milwaukee, WI.

The blue collar loyal fans of Milwaukee make regular trips up to Green Bay to watch NFL football, west for the Badgers, and even contributed 400 million dollars to a franchise(brewers) for a new stadium, even though the team had not been to the playoffs since 1982.

The city of Milwaukee is surrounded by great hockey towns via tradition and/or cultish followings. Milwaukee is an instant rival with Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, and St. Louis.

Hockey is a very popular, and rapidly growing sport in Wisconsin, including SE Wisconsin.

The Petit family tried for years to get professional hockey into Milwaukee, and contributed the Bradley Center to Milwaukee in an effort to do so. The Petit's also contributed the Petit National Ice Center, which is used for local hockey leagues, and a speed skating track surrounding the multiple hockey rinks, which doubles for olympic training, and public skating.

The loyalty that the fans of Milwaukee have shown the Packers(entire stadium sold via season tickets since the 1960's) and die hard (very hard) Brewer fans, has yet to be rewarded with an NHL franchise. Though they are home to the AHL Milwaukee Admirals, the brew city faithful know the difference between the real thing and a cheap ripoff.

The city of Milwaukee is ready and viable for an NHL franchise. I have never attended an NHL game, and don't follow it that close, but if a team were here, my season ticket money is in the bank! :;):

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

How about the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth). This is because it is the biggest market in the US without ANY professional sports franchise and has been a hotbed for the ECHL/AHL Admirals, a franchise that has thrived in two leagues for over ten consecutive years. Honestly, we just love the hell outta our Admirals and we know an NHL franchise would make it here. Plus they would be perfect rivals for both Washington and Carolina. ~UJ

Couplke of things, Fusebazell, we need some reasons for Salt Lake City.

If Winnipeg did win,or any other former NHL city. I have decided that no former NHL team name will be eligible in the team naming round, so we won't end up with Whalers or Jets mark 2.

And I am looking for cities not states, so both Green Bay and Milwaukee are in, although in the naming round teams will be able to adopt the name of there state rather than city.

Too clarify, qualifying bid cities to date: Kansas City, MO, Green Bay, WI. Milwaukee WI, Winnipeg, (based on Go Siouxs point about rivalry with the Wild.) and Hampton Roads, Virginia (not technically 1 city but I am allowing it!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

How about the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth). This is because it is the biggest market in the US without ANY professional sports franchise and has been a hotbed for the ECHL/AHL Admirals, a franchise that has thrived in two leagues for over ten consecutive years. Honestly, we just love the hell outta our Admirals and we know an NHL franchise would make it here. Plus they would be perfect rivals for both Washington and Carolina. ~UJ

Hey, WE have the AHL Admirals in Milwaukee!

As far as joining GB and Milwaukee, I think Milwaukee is really the only city in the state that could host the team. Im not driving 4 hours for every home game. A "Wisconsin" team wouldnt be bad, I just like how "Milwaukee" sounds.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Pittsburgh, PA is presently not hosting NHL hockey.  :D

OK, OK, I kid the Pens.  Longtime CC board members can bypass the remainder of this post because you've seen this argument made by me a number of times over the last couple of years.  My nomination is for Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City has a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million people within a 40 mile radius.  Tulsa, with a metro area about 2/3 that size is only a 90 minute turnpike drive away.  The community, simply put, is hockey mad.  A lot of this has to do with the fact that the area was settled by a fair number of Canadians and hockey has just always been a part of the area's heritage.  The Oklahoma City Blazers of the Central Hockey League (a league on the low end of the AA level) average 5 figure attendances and have for 12 consecutive seasons now.  A brand new 20,000 seat, NHL/NBA caliber arena was built in 2002.  There is an adequate corporate population to support the sale of lower bowl seats, luxury suites and to underwrite arena advertising.  There is also a sufficient demographic base to support the necessary level of season ticket and walkup sales.  An NHL franchise would represent the state of Oklahoma's first and only major league level sports franchise (excluding Tulsa's short-lived USFL team and their NASL franchise in the 70's).  And although Oklahoma University's athletics teams gobble up a huge percentage of the OKC sports dollar, they don't have a Division I hockey program, thus there would be no overlap compromising allegience to the Sooners.

What JQK said, albeit for different reasons :P

Seattle is a major metropolitan area with a lengthy hockey history. It has a large enough population to support it, already existing grassroots programs, potential owners with deep pockets (Paul Allen) as well as corporate sponsorship (Starbucks Arena, Microsoft Place or whatever). Vancouver is less than a two hour drive away and the California teams are a short flight away.

It is both a natural and long overdue.

Okay first of all merry christams everyone!!!

Secondly we have two spots to fill before voting will begin, so far we have 7 US cities and 1 canadian, if anyone wants to big it up for any other Canadian city lacking NHL hockey now is the time (maybe Halifax?? or somewhere else!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Hey, WE have the AHL Admirals in Milwaukee!

As far as joining GB and Milwaukee, I think Milwaukee is really the only city in the state that could host the team. Im not driving 4 hours for every home game. A "Wisconsin" team wouldnt be bad, I just like how "Milwaukee" sounds.

it's sort of complicated, clyon. our Admirals and the Norfolk Admirals, both were formerly members of other leagues and neither wanted to change their name (i still say them Virginia boys should do it cus the MIL Ads been around since the mid 70s, them, like 10 years?). i used to follow the Admirals back in teh IHL days, but them being in the AHL....it's still weird, like the Ft Wayne Komets basically being a junior team. i miss the IHL :(

*raises fist in air...the AHL will never be my league*

anyways, for some pie in teh sky reason, i nominate Ornskoldsvik, Sweden.  Oh, wait, they have that MoDo team...my bad.  Ok then, Rapid City, South Dakota-i'm serious this time.    Figure they'd be hype as anyone over just having a major pro team, so I nominate the former home of the Thrillers :;):

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i would like to 3rd the vote for seattle.  it would be kind of a mid-point for pac coast teams and an overall good place to play.  i think the team should be based in northwest u.s., be it seattle or portland, oregon i think either would be a great choice.  like gameface said paul allen is a good "deep-pocketed" guy and he could make a fan favorite team with that kinda mooch.

I would definately w/o a doubt say that Syracuse, NY could have a NHL team because everyone there loves hockey, they have a nice arena to play in, and the climate fits a 'hockey-town'

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived