Oakland A's alternate caps

Bernd

The MLB.com Store has an A's alternate cap for sale that's black with a green logo:

pMLB2-1669722reg.jpg

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?prod...rentPage=family

I checked some pics from this past season and I don't see that it was ever used with the green alternate jersey. Creamer's site states that this cap was only used in 2000. What gives? Is the black cap still an official alternate or is the MLB store wrong?

Or has this been asked and answered a million times?

The MLB.com Store has an A's alternate cap for sale that's black with a green logo:

pMLB2-1669722reg.jpg

I checked some pics from this past season and I don't see that it was ever used with the green alternate jersey. Creamer's site states that this cap was only used in 2000. What gives? Is the black cap still an official alternate or is the MLB store wrong?

Or has this been asked and answered a million times?

This cap was used with a matching black jersey w/green script and numbers outlined in white for the 2000 season. It was part of the black trend that led to the Mets, Royals, and Reds all adding generous amounts of black to their uniforms (the Royals and Reds have eliminated most of the black they added). The A's players and fans hated the black alternates so much they stopped wearing them after one year, all though they are still listed as official alternates.

pMLB2-1670475reg.jpg

I had a guy walk into my store one time wearing this cap. all i said to him was "wow i never seen anyone wear that yet"(i think it was when it first came out). he turned right around, shaking his head. turned in the window and gave me this disgusting look and shook his head at me again. i guess i had offended him. but thats ok, he had a ugly hat on anyways.

P0054307.jpgP0054399.jpg

do these two hats have the same bill. if you look at the blue one on Mlb shop, the blue one looks as it has the same bill as the Dodgers alt.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

72285074xo0.jpg

My god, how was that legal?? Black jersey vs. black jersey??????

It's not like football, basketball or hockey where both full teams are on the field at the same time, and they are in real close proximity to one another or fighting for the same thing.

It would certainly be an issue in almost any other sport, but I just don't see it as an issue at all in baseball.

They do also wear white and grey normally, which isnt too far away from eachother to begin with.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1815/72285074xo0.jpg

My god, how was that legal?? Black jersey vs. black jersey??????

Yeah really isn't that the whole purpose of having home and away jerseys? :blink:

Wasn't there a red vs. red or blue vs. blue matchup this year?

In related news, when was the last time the Dodgers wore this hat?

The Royals and Rangers both wore blue jerseys in a game this past season. It was just as hideous.

It's a bit disingenuous to list it as an alternate if it hasn't been worn on the field for seven years!

Well technically it's still listed as a current alternate, they just never wear it.

As with the Pirates bringing back their black with red bills alternate that has not been worn since 2000, this hat might be making a come back with a redesigned alternate jersey.

The A's black alternates were considered special jerseys at the time for the 2000 season. Also commemerating the 100th season for the Athletics franchise.

There was backlash from the jerseys as fans complained about the lack of contrast from the green and black made lettering impossible to read. Some have also said that the idea of this jersey was by the players.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived