Super Bowl XLII Logo

Mac the Knife

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo just isn't very good to begin with, but if they'd have colored it with a little inspiration from the Arizona flag and/or the Cardinals (regardless of the fact that teams don't actually host), then you might have gotten one of these.

Niether great, but both improvements, IMO.

superbowl_xlii_test_1.gif

superbowl_xlii_test_2.gif

that scheme you chose makes that logo look ALOT better. the flying arizona isn't too bad and is far more creative than the last 3 logos. I just hate the pastel colors they used. this could be one of the better logos or it would be one of the worse logos. the color scheme tips it to the worse than better logos.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

You know what, I really like the logo. If nothing else, for the fact that it will be the second straight year that navy or royal blue is not a huge part of the logo. It seems like after XXI, every logo till this year has had that shade featured. There are a couple of exceptions though. But compared to the low points of XXXVIII (worst ever in my mind) and XXXIX, I really like XLII.

dolphins2.png

The Super Bowl logo usually reflects something about the host city or state. Until this year's game, Miami Super Bowl logos tended to be heavy on tropical and neon motifs, New Orleans SB logos (including the original, pre-9/11 design for SBXXXVI) were heavy on Mardi Gras themes, the SBXXXIX logo incorporated Jacksonville's landmark bridge, etc.

The Super Bowl XL logo was pretty bland, but that's understandable considering the game was in freaking Detroit. The same goes for the one Super Bowl played in my birthplace of Minneapolis, SBXXVI (I always thought they should have done a snowflake-based logo for that one). But I can't believe they couldn't do better for this year's logo. If all you had to go by was the Super Bowl XLI logo, for all you'd know they could be playing the game in Detroit again.

As for the Super Bowl XLII logo, it looks OK but not great. At least with the color scheme and the Arizona logo they're getting back to designs that reflect the host city, which is already a big improvement over the two previous logos.

CCSLC signature.png

Come on... the SB 40 logo was very traditional, yet it had Detroit style to it as well. The word Super Bowl was spelled out in a speedometer. You know the thing inside your dashboard of your car, the car capitol of the world is Dertoit. Although I would have like to have seen the logo read out like a licence plate.

First of all, every analog speedometer I've ever seen is a needle on a rotary scale. I assume you're actually talking about an odometer. In any event, most odometers in newer cars are digital, and even the analog ones didn't have letters in them, so that aspect of the logo was probably lost on most people.

The license plate concept would have been pretty cool, though. That could also work for a future Super Bowl in Los Angeles, if the NFL ever gets a team back there.

CCSLC signature.png

I agree with rainmaker that it looks like a rust color primered door that fell off some mexicans 70's era car. Why do they always use roman numerals? They could have really gotten getto this year by putting the number 42 or spelled out the words forty-deuce.

Example: 42copy.jpg

Please send hate mail to: DILLIGAF.com

I agree with rainmaker that it looks like a rust color primered door that fell off some mexicans 70's era car. Why do they always use roman numerals? They could have really gotten getto this year by putting the number 42 or spelled out the words forty-deuce.

Example: 42copy.jpg

Please send hate mail to: DILLIGAF.com

Why base the logo on the Italian flag? There's no eagle-and-cactus crest in the middle, so it can't be the Mexican flag. In any event, last time I checked, Arizona is part of the USA, not Mexico (porous border notwithstanding) and certainly not Italy.

CCSLC signature.png

You know, it's not a bad logo, but it's really uninspired. The last three don't sport the level of refinement or evidence of creative thought found in logos of the last ten or fifteen years. They're using the same type, less geographic reference, and poorer composition. It really just doesn't look like they are spending the time and effort in these new Super Bowl logos that they did in the previous few.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived