Super Bowl XLII Logo

Mac the Knife

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Super Bowl logo usually reflects something about the host city or state. If all you had to go by was the Super Bowl XLI logo, for all you'd know they could be playing the game in Detroit again.

The sunburst between the L and the I and the color scheme were supposed to indicate South Florida, especially since the Dolphins are so closely associated with the color orange.

oakqb4.jpg

The problem isn't so much the logo idea itself, it's more so the fonts used for "Super Bowl" and "XLI". These two fonts appear (now having been used three years in a row) to be the "standard" fonts the NFL will be using for the Super Bowl logo going forward. Thus, each Super Bowl logo, while having continuity, fails to have any indiviudality. It used to be that the fonts used reflected the location of the game.

Plus, those two fonts are really plain and just suck, IMHO.

Oh, and those stars are really just useless design elements.

A step backward for logo design.

I am starting to see a pattern with the 2 stars from this year and next years. I think the designer is trying to represent the AFC & NFC. As for the fonts, yes he should update

them from year to year, otherwise it's not "branding", it's laziness.

Has anyone else noticed just how lousy the typesetting is? 'BOWL' is crooked and each letter looks like it was literally cut and pasted with an exacto knife and rubber cement, and neither SUPER nor BOWL are lined up in the perspective of the state background either.

I appreciate branding the finals (SB, WS, NBA, Stanley Cup) with similar types over a period of years to reflect the design features of the time the event is played, but I've always thought higher of the Super Bowl logos than the World Series ones, especially since the re-branding of those in the late 90's with the globe and that techno-modern font.

I also have to retreat from my earlier statement and think the Stanley Cup Finals doesn't need a flashy logo like the Super Bowl or World Series. They have the Stanley Cup already, no need to jazz it up with design marks and a bad font.

Has anyone else noticed just how lousy the typesetting is? 'BOWL' is crooked and each letter looks like it was literally cut and pasted with an exacto knife and rubber cement, and neither SUPER nor BOWL are lined up in the perspective of the state background either.

I appreciate branding the finals (SB, WS, NBA, Stanley Cup) with similar types over a period of years to reflect the design features of the time the event is played, but I've always thought higher of the Super Bowl logos than the World Series ones, especially since the re-branding of those in the late 90's with the globe and that techno-modern font.

I also have to retreat from my earlier statement and think the Stanley Cup Finals doesn't need a flashy logo like the Super Bowl or World Series. They have the Stanley Cup already, no need to jazz it up with design marks and a bad font.

I'm not gonna say the logo is high quality, but a lot of your complaints are actually just due to the original scan coming from a tiny image, and then a quick tracing job done in Illustrator. The real logo I'm sure is cleaner.

I agree with rainmaker that it looks like a rust color primered door that fell off some mexicans 70's era car. Why do they always use roman numerals? They could have really gotten getto this year by putting the number 42 or spelled out the words forty-deuce.

Example: 42copy.jpg

Please send hate mail to: DILLIGAF.com

if you were trying to be funny..

i laughed.

[quote'STL FANATIC'

I'm not gonna say the logo is high quality, but a lot of your complaints are actually just due to the original scan coming from a tiny image, and then a quick tracing job done in Illustrator. The real logo I'm sure is cleaner.

Thanks for pointing that out, I left art school at the dawn of the computer age, so I'm still playing catch up.

One thing which may hurt is, especially for us posters, is that the NFL cannot 'flip the logo' onto the opposite 25 yard line, how asymetrical would that look? Otherwise teh srate will both face left to right. I am not losing sleep over this, and neither should any of us. We have members on this board who hare actually working for actual causes, like BucFan 56, who is looking to actual causes.

Mods: Edit and PM me if I have gone out of bounds.

If you don't donate to assist this board's maintenance (I admit I haven't in at least 10 months and should do more, and will in January for starters. You will see my name) try to do so. Even if it is $5 or even less. Try to help bucfan56 and his efforts. He is not like the American Idol marks for ridicule, so try to make an effort in your lives. I know that cash is tight for many of us, but I know that I can at least be sober, or without cash for a particular weekend and donate the money and/or time to worthy causes.

BicFan56, PM me and I will get back to you this weekend.

One thing which may hurt is, especially for us posters, is that the NFL cannot 'flip the logo' onto the opposite 25 yard line, how asymetrical would that look? Otherwise teh srate will both face left to right. I am not losing sleep over this, and neither should any of us. We have members on this board who hare actually working for actual causes, like BucFan 56, who is looking to actual causes.

If you don't donate to assist this board's maintenance (I admit I haven't in at least 10 months and should do more, and will in January for starters. You will see my name) try to do so. Even if it is $5 or even less. Try to help bucfan56 and his efforts. He is not like the American Idol marks for ridicule, so try to make an effort in your lives. I know that cash is tight for many of us, but I know that I can at least be sober, or without cash for a particular weekend and donate the money and/or time to worthy causes.

What a strange tangent.

That logo would be a whole lot better with a different color scheme, preferably desert style or Arizona Cardinals colors. But the whole pastel thing is kinda crappy. On a grading scale of A-F, D-.

What a strange tangent.

If you were a mod, you could edit or PM him. Bully you can't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The problem isn't so much the logo idea itself, it's more so the fonts used for "Super Bowl" and "XLI". These two fonts appear (now having been used three years in a row) to be the "standard" fonts the NFL will be using for the Super Bowl logo going forward. Thus, each Super Bowl logo, while having continuity, fails to have any indiviudality. It used to be that the fonts used reflected the location of the game.

Plus, those two fonts are really plain and just suck, IMHO.

Oh, and those stars are really just useless design elements.

A step backward for logo design.

Do you know the name of the font used for the words "Super Bowl" ?

That logo would be a whole lot better with a different color scheme, preferably desert style or Arizona Cardinals colors. But the whole pastel thing is kinda crappy. On a grading scale of A-F, D-.

Where is everyone getting those great sig banners of the helmets? I want a Redskin one :)

SpearSig.jpg

Archived