SJ Sharks prototype jersey

Sodboy13

Check out this eBay item. Looks to be an early draft of Nike's redesign for the Sharks. Note the flat grey sleeve material (as opposed to dazzle nylon,) the beautiful shark fin shoulder patches, and, most curiously, that zip-up neck. Was this Nike's original plan, before they went with that extra-low V-neck?

Outside of the goofy zipper, this is leaps and bounds above what the Sharks are currently wearing, IMO.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I would agree with you...i loved it when they brought back the fin logo on the shoulders of the alternate...

the zip is reminiscent of what man utd did in the late 90's...it's kinda like an update of the old school style lace-up collar, forward thinking (possibly)...

the simplicity is definately better than what they have now (exempting the alts), is there any chance of a redesign when the new jerseys come in next year?

The zipper was the original idea before the NHL deemed it a safety risk. This is jersey is aestheticall ythe same as what they've been wearing for years now. I think their current is much more cleaned up than this prototype.

Other differences are the white piping along the seams of the bronco stripe, white numbers on the sleeve

and the straight namebar, not the vertical arch.

I am confused by their pictures because in one the black "bronco" stripe is clearly visible, the in the other it is not.

The zipper was the original idea before the NHL deemed it a safety risk. This is jersey is aestheticall ythe same as what they've been wearing for years now. I think their current is much more cleaned up than this prototype.

Other differences are the white piping along the seams of the bronco stripe, white numbers on the sleeve

I am confused by their pictures because in one the black "bronco" stripe is clearly visible, the in the other it is not.

That threw me, too. I initially posted that this jersey didn't have the Bronco stripes; then giving a second look, there they were, on the crest close-up photo. It's almost as if the Bronco stripes on the prototype don't go as far up as they do in the finished product.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Thanks for a picture of the ENTIRE jersey, Mr. Seller!

What happened with that white piping? I've actually seen some people wearing that jersey with either white piping or striping. Was that only in very early versions of the jersey or something? I don't think that ever made it to the ice.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I saw this on eBay and was too lazy to post it here.

Glad somebody did!

Zippers? What next velcro, buttons or snaps?

Dan

Velcro has already been done. John Kordic, Marty McSorley etc. velcroed their sleeve seams making it easier to free their arms during fights, so the league outlawed it.

Did anyone else notice the tag that says the item was sewn in 1996?

Makes sense seeing as how the one's that made it to the ice were unveiled in fall 1997. Most prototypes are made over a year ahead of time.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

That threw me, too. I initially posted that this jersey didn't have the Bronco stripes; then giving a second look, there they were, on the crest close-up photo. It's almost as if the Bronco stripes on the prototype don't go as far up as they do in the finished product.

If you look close and really compare based on the zipper where the Bronco stripes are, you can make a good assumption that they are covered by the folded over sleeves.

I saw this on eBay and was too lazy to post it here.

Glad somebody did!

Zippers? What next velcro, buttons or snaps?

Dan

Velcro has already been done. John Kordic, Marty McSorley etc. velcroed their sleeve seams making it easier to free their arms during fights, so the league outlawed it.

Basil McRae, too. Always amusing to see player who forgot and tried to tie him up only to be left holding empty sleeves while taking a pummeling about the head...

Yeah I bidded on this jersey, ebod I almost contacted you about this. But yeah that's what it was supposed to look like. The seller was very generous to send pics to me so I can use it for my site.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived