If my high school had an ice hockey team

Eye

Alright guys, here's a concept for my school, the Sayreville Bombers. Now, I'm a senior here and I can't wait to get out. It's alright here, I could certainly do without many of the people there, but my school isn't too bad. I wouldn't say that we are exactly poor, but I'm getting out at just the right time IMO. They are adding onto the school because of overcrowding, and they had to change the class schedules to accomodate the plethora of new students coming in each year. The school has a lot of sports, (I run track) but no ice hockey. Last year, our school tried to get some ghetto ice hockey team togheter. Like there would be meetings after school. People would be like "Yo Raps, I didn't see you, where were you?" etc. I didn't think it would work, and boy was I right. I think the futile attempt they made lasted about two months. It pissed me off that our school goes all out for everything, but gives a half-hearted effort on this. An ice hockey team at Sayreville, haha yeah right. That won't happen for a long time. Probably never. I can say that I'm the best player in my school, because some of the kids in my school play in the arena where I play, but none of them play travel hockey like me. Sorry for that long intro. Onward to the concept.

Ah yes, the concept. Well, our school is the Bombers and we do represent Sayreville. The school's colors are white, (everyone has white, our school is no different) blue, and silver as an accent/trim color. ***BUT WAIT*** You see black on these threads. Well, our school has colors similar to the Detroit Lions. THERE IS NO BLACK IN THE COLOR SCHEME, but I have seen black become more prevalent in the attire worn around these parts. Last year, the peer leadership classes had black jerseys. My hot chemistry teacher would wear a black sweatshirt, with "Bombers" or "Sayreville" in blue. Similar to how the Detroit Lions have their numbers on their black threads. Our logo is a bomber airplane with an S on top of it.

The home threads: The home sweaters are blue with a silver/white/blue/silver/blue/white/silver striping pattern. As you can see, no black anywhere here besides the S in the logo and on parts of the missiles/bombs on the plane. I outlined the Bombers logo in white, to give it more pop, because gray on blue did not look all that great (yet blue on gray looked better IMO. I'll elaborate on this point when you read more.) The numbers are white, outlined in silver, with names in a solid white. I usually don't believe in outlining names, because they have to be legible so I did not deviate from that here. Sleeve numbers are blue, outlined in white (I'd outline 'em in silver, but you can't have a silver outline on silver. Don't be silly.) Pants, helmets, and socks are blue, with the same sock striping as on the jersey.

The away threads: Basically an inversion of the home uniform. Though an inversion for the most part, there are differences. The S on the bomber logo is now in blue, and the sleeve numbers are also outlined in white, rather thae silver because if you look at the striping, white is in the middle of blue and silver. I would want zero chance of the outline of the numbers clashing with the sleeve striping. Collars are blue, domes are white, socks are same color as jerseys, with same striping pattern. And yes, that is my name on the back of the jersey, and my number when I play in my hockey games.

The away alts: I elaborated on this earlier. Black is becoming more prevalent in Bombers apparel (sweatshirs, sweatpants, posters around school advertising for clubs, sports etc.) I'm not really into black jerseys unless black is a primary color of the team (Chicago Blackhawks, Bulls, White Sox, Miami Heat, Carolina Panthers, etc.) I hate how the Detroit Lions use black, and I would prefer if my school didn't use black at all (a trim color at most.) It's like that teal/purple craze in the 90's. Everyone has to have a black uniform now. With that said, I don't think these are too bad, pretty good actually. the striping pattern is the same as on the primary homes, along with the collars, helmets, pants, socks striping, colors of name, and number outlines (sleeve and back.) The crest is the same as the primary away, except the bomber plane being white as opposed to gray. Numbers are blue, and as previously stated, outlined in silver. I originally thought that this wouldn't look good, but given what I was, it's not too bad. I said the pants are blue, this is so because I don't think black helmets, jerseys, pants, and socks would look too good. The LA Kings made it look good in the 80'a and 90's, but we definitely ain't no LA Kings. So that's that on the away alts.

The home alts: Ohio State and West Virginia have a silver/gray alt that they sometimes wear at home. I thought, why not here. It could look decent and would give the Bombers a home gray uniform to choose from. Also, the Bombers would be different at home, similar to how the Lakers are the only team with a desginated home uniform that's a color other than white in the NBA. The crest... No airplane? Yep, that's right. This alternate is not just the switching of colors like the away alt, or alts you'd see in sports. The crest is similar to the NY Rangers, but going more horizontal instead of vertical. I'm diggin' the fact that the crest is more horizontal, it takes up more of the jersey, while not having letters start up by the shoulders. I did try putting the letters more vertically but was like "Nah." The striping pattern is the same as the other uniforms, of course with different colors, especially black. With a black/white/silver/black/silver/white/black pattern, the jerseys remind me of the LA Kings of the 80's and 90's who I previously mentioned. The collars are black, sleeve numbers are blue, outlined in white, the name is in blue, numbers on black are blue outlined in black, and the crest has blue letters. You might recall me saying that I outlined the crest on the primary home because silver on blue doesn't look that good. It seemed almost the opposite putting blue on silver. Maybe it's the fact that the crest is a bunch of letters, but I think that having them not outlined in white makes it look that much better. Helmets are white, because it is after all a home uniform. Pants and socks are silver with the same striping pattern on the uniforms.

Miscellaneous: All sleeve numbers are outlined in white. All names are one solid color. The striping pattern is the same on all uniforms. That would be me, Rappleyea, 67. My name, my favorite number. All the other people's names are on the board of education, and the numbers don't have any significance toward them. The only relation between a name and number is me and mine. Yes, that is the LA Kings' number font.

I am very pleased with this work of mine, I think it came out very well.

C & C as always. Thank you.

Bomberhockey.png

-E.A.R.

I'm not a fan of adding black when it isn't in the color scheme, but whatev(er). I like the shoulder striping, but I'd like to see the plane over the top of the S, not the S on top of the plane. And technically, the plane you're using is more of a fighter than a bomber. :)

I'm not a fan of adding black when it isn't in the color scheme, but whatev(er). I like the shoulder striping, but I'd like to see the plane over the top of the S, not the S on top of the plane. And technically, the plane you're using is more of a fighter than a bomber. :)

I agree with you. As for the logo, that's how it is. I can't really change it because it's our school's insignia. I did not know that the plane was more of a fighter, thanks man. I'll have to bring that up sometime. And as for the whatev(er) line. It's just something that me and my friend coined on the way to and from school as we carpool. It's like when you hear someone (usually a girl) say whatev. To me it's like, why not just say the "er" what are you going to do with that extra nanosecond or two anyway. So we basically mock it in a somewhat humorous way by saying whatev...er when the word is said. I actually ended up leaving the "It will probably never happen, but whatev(er.)" line on it when I first showed one of my other friends. I forgot to take it off, of here. Anyway, thanks for the C & C RH. Keep it coming guys.

-E.A.R.

Yeah, I know what it feels like to have your high school fund a bunch of "sports" (field hockey?! That's fake! It's not even hockey! And golf?!), but not even have a REAL hockey team. In fact, my school had to combine with the other high school in the district just to make ONE ice hockey team. Then when I asked to make a roller hockey team, they just wouldn't do it. Half the people there don't even know what hockey is, the other half don't consider it a sport. It's just stupid.

Now, onto the uniforms. That was a good point for RH to bring up about the logo looking more like a fighter than a bomber, but I think it's because a real bomber would look "ugly", so the fighter would look "cooler". Think about it, they named the F-117 Nighthawk a fighter when it is really a bomber because most pilots wouldn't want to fly a "bomber" since it's not as "cool" as a fighter.

I like the striping.

Get rid of the black, but if you have to use it, just use it as a supplement with thin black lines or something.

Why do you have an alternate away and home jersey?

I'd suggest using a different striping pattern for the silver alternate, and maybe a tie up because the letters remind me of Anaheim's old alt and the Rangers jerseys. And maybe try using black pants?

Archived