Marlins and Brewers 2007 Commemorative Patches

LogoHound

It's not that impressive. They did good, another team did great.

Should St. Louis should wear two patches this season? One for the NLCS, one for the World Series? They achieved both goals.

thats will be stupid. just expect a championchip patch along with the patch on the fitteds.

BTW something dont seem..........................................kosher with the brewers logo.82 years?....they could've wait to the 90th year :rolleyes:

It's kind of sad when you have to make a commemorative patch for a team that lost the championship.

It's not about losing the championship, it's about winning the pennant.

Baseball is unique in that the League Championship is a goal in itself.

One would argue that the pennant has diminished in value after the merger of the two leagues.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's kind of sad when you have to make a commemorative patch for a team that lost the championship.

One would argue that the pennant has diminished in value after the merger of the two leagues.

I would argue it was after the leagues went into a 3 division format.

1997 | 2003

Sure you could. You could also argue that weak pitching and increased strength training (to say nothing of steroids) has diminished the value of so many stats.

But tradition counts for something. I still think the FA Cup is the greatest competition in the world, even if some of the bigger clubs field reserve sides.

I love that Milwaukee script.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I'm not saying that I'm in favor of the patch, only that winning a pennant is no small accomplishment.

There are many clubs who would love to have one in their history. The Yankees celebrated their pennants on a logo couple years back. ....

I'm just sayin'. It's one of those things that I love about baseball, the little quirks. A League Championship in all other sports is significantly less meaningful.

I agree with you 100 percent in principle. And another example: the climax of The Natural, the movie version, is a decisive game for the Knights to win the pennant. The World Series doesn't play into it at all.

My problem with this sort of patch, though, is celebrating the anniversary. It borders on insulting to fans -- especially in a city like Milwaukee where bad ownership has consistently sabotaged what could have been a contending franchise. I suspect that 1982 is every Brewers fan's favorite season, but seeing this patch ought to make every Brewers fan stand up and shout, "Stop jerking me around with nostalgia and start winning!"

If you want to celebrate your past pennants, great. Make a patch and list them all. Better yet, hang them in your ballpark like the Brewers already do. (Can't wait to get back to Miller Park in June!) But celebrating the [name of element] anniversary of a good season with a uniform patch is just half-assed. Might as well have a patch celebrating the anniversary of the sausage races or something. Honor the achievement, sure, but not the length of time since you last achieved something worth remembering.

20082614447.png

I agree with you 100 percent in principle. And another example: the climax of <i>The Natural</i>, the movie version, is a decisive game for the Knights to win the pennant. The World Series doesn't play into it at all.

And the climax of Mr. 3000 is the Brewers getting into 3rd place :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

My problem with this sort of patch, though, is celebrating the anniversary. It borders on insulting to fans -- especially in a city like Milwaukee where bad ownership has consistently sabotaged what could have been a contending franchise. I suspect that 1982 is every Brewers fan's favorite season, but seeing this patch ought to make every Brewers fan stand up and shout, "Stop jerking me around with nostalgia and start winning!"

I can't really argue with you there. But that was one bad owner, who squandered the legacy she was given in trust, and she's now gone.

That the relatively new owner has a sense of history as he builds a better club for tomorrow (both of which are supportable statements, IMO), is a good thing.

Do I love the patch? Yes, design-wise. Do I love the idea of the patch? No, not really. Frankly, I'd rather see Attanasio stop giving us teasing dabs of nostalgia and just make the uniform change official already.

I would argue it was after the leagues went into a 3 division format.

I'd go even further and argue it was in 1969 when they went to two divisions. Before that, you have the best record, you win the pennant. End of story. After the playoffs were introduced, the pennant lost its luster.

Archived