What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

Between Wrigley's art deco scoreboard, Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard with Sox-O-Gram at Comiskey, and the "engine room" look of the old Chicago Stadium scoreboard, is it any wonder Chicago is the best sports city in the world?

I'd have more respect for Chicago as a sports town if they actually showed up for Hawks games.

They show up for Wolves games-going to Blackhawks games essentially means you are financially rewarding Wirtz for being a horrible owner.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quirk? How about the retractable field at University of Phoenix Stadium:

20060909_PH2006090901190.jpg

8751.jpg

8752.jpg

But then again, I'm a biased Cardinals fan...

I also love the 60-foot tall, transparent (perforated metal) logo in the north entrance/Gate 2:

20060811_P8120003_b.jpg

One of my best friends took the top photo... Pete Pallagi... We are actually going to be at tomorrows press event for Super Bowl XLII, might we see you there?

Between Wrigley's art deco scoreboard, Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard with Sox-O-Gram at Comiskey, and the "engine room" look of the old Chicago Stadium scoreboard, is it any wonder Chicago is the best sports city in the world?

I'd have more respect for Chicago as a sports town if they actually showed up for Hawks games.

They show up for Wolves games-going to Blackhawks games essentially means you are financially rewarding Wirtz for being a horrible owner.

Not necessarily. Going to games doesn't automatically equate to support of an owner. Hell, Reinsdorf's a jackass and people still go to Sox and Bulls games.

The scoreboard in Comerica Park is huge...I think its the biggest in MLB...

comerica_park_8_418.jpg

Now that's classy. I like the tigers prowling the scoreboard. Intimidating, but not overpowering.

Not like some ketchup bottle, a giant ball glove (AT&T Park) or some disney-esque pirate ship in the endzone.

Not necessarily. Going to games doesn't automatically equate to support of an owner. Hell, Reinsdorf's a jackass and people still go to Sox and Bulls games.

The factor there is that Reinsdorf, jackass that he is, occasionally tries to field a winner as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Over xmas I visited the John Paul Jones Arena at UVA for the first time, and was thoroughly impressed. I love how they incorporated the columns and Jefferson-esque architechture:

sp-johnpaul-ss.gif

jpjArenaPromo060630_001b.jpg

The scoreboard is pretty nice too, six sided and whatnot (couldn't find a pic to do it justice, but looks like the new fancy ones)

uva_jpja_nr.jpg

I've always been a fan of Buffalo's

buffaloscoreboard.jpg

I know they're trying to get fans to see it.. but isnt that a little to low to the ice? it looks to me as if the players will hit it while skating.. idk though, could just be a bad angle picture...

Edit: also nice to see Waldo making an apperance..

My favorite quirk (besides the old style scoreboards in Wrigley and Fenway) is the elevated right field bleachers at 5/3 Field (the Mud Hens Stadium) in Toledo. It's great how they incorporated the warehouses and old buildings into the ballpark.

fifththird3.jpg

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

My favorite quirk (besides the old style scoreboards in Wrigley and Fenway) is the elevated right field bleachers at 5/3 Field (the Mud Hens Stadium) in Toledo. It's great how they incorporated the warehouses and old buildings into the ballpark.

fifththird3.jpg

I also love that. It's really cool.

I'd love to see a game from those seats. That would be a neat expeirience.

I like Columbus' Scoreboard. Even though it just a four sided one, I like how they incorporated the nationwide logo, whose "world headquarters" is right across the street.

sample.jpg

Nationwide's Arena District is also very cool, they have lots of restraunts stores and such. And a huge TV. It is very fun to visit, even if there isn't a Jackets game.

ArenaDistrict17.JPG

Lebanon Warrior Football

LebanonWarriors3.jpg

I was JUST about to post that one. I'll never forget seeing that scoreboard for the first time. It contributed to me becoming a Sox fan. They didn't do it justice in the new stadium.

I was going to post that if nobody else did. The best part about the original Exploding Scoreboard was the fact that the fireworks were actually shot directly out of it over the stadium - the fireworks were HUGE!

Remember how big the scoreboard looks? Keep that in mind for scale:

comiskey52gl4.jpg

Yeah, that's the good stuff.

Now, thanks to fire ordinances, the 'works are actually shot from outside the stadium OVER the scoreboard, so they're more remote. I'm glad the Sox kept up the pinwheel motif, though.

The shower is also in the new park, but it's also not quite what it was.

The old one actually had a great view of the field, it was right in the bleachers:

veeck3gd3.jpg

The new one is hidden along the back wall of the outfield concourse (look, they even have a picture of the old shower so you know exactly what you're missing!):

chicago-010925-0061a.jpg

...I also like the statues they've been unveiling on the concourse over the past couple years. The one of Fox & Aparicio turning a double play is just beautiful.

fifththird3.jpg

I also love that. It's really cool.

I'd love to see a game from those seats. That would be a neat expeirience.

It's actually really cool. They're basically the only outfield seats, and it's kind of like the old Tiger Stadium where you were right over the field.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

:mad:

I've always been a fan of Buffalo's

buffaloscoreboard.jpg

I know they're trying to get fans to see it.. but isnt that a little to low to the ice? it looks to me as if the players will hit it while skating.. idk though, could just be a bad angle picture...

Edit: also nice to see Waldo making an apperance..

Too bad Waldo wasn't on center ice.

As long as we're talking about quirks, I don't know if it gets cooler than the Western Metals Building at Petco Park:

newmetal.jpg

So cool. It's the frigging foul pole in left.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The scoreboard in Comerica Park is huge...I think its the biggest in MLB...

comerica_park_8_418.jpg

Now that's classy. I like the tigers prowling the scoreboard. Intimidating, but not overpowering.

Not like some ketchup bottle, a giant ball glove (AT&T Park) or some disney-esque pirate ship in the endzone.

The ketchup bottle, yes. The GIANT baseball glove in the GIANTS ball park makes total sense. As does a pirate ship at the Buccaneers stadium. They "go" with their respective teams JUST LIKE the tigers....

SigReflect.png

Here's the board at Rexall Place here in Edmonton, where the Oilers and Rush play.

(For the during the playoffs, they change the Rexall underneath logo to an Oilers logo)

060609-full.jpg

347218268_0197bd1c4c.jpg

oil2.jpg

You can get a 360* view (need Quicktime installed) of Rexall from centre ice and goal crease here: http://www.edmontonoilers.com/arena/tour.php#

Probably my favorite thing at Rexall is the championship banners from over the years:

(White=Stanley Cup, Blue=Conference Playoffs Champs, Orange=Division Playoff Champs)

161470049_4b2251b1aa_b.jpg

Archived