What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as we're talking about quirks, I don't know if it gets cooler than the Western Metals Building at Petco Park:

newmetal.jpg

So cool. It's the frigging foul pole in left.

now THAT is AWESOME. It's almost like something from the 19th century.

Yeah, and it's almost not lame. It's quirky by design, which by definition, makes it not quirky.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Western Metal Supply isn't really what I think of as "quirky by design." That's reserved for the bells and whistles at the Astros' park.

The GIANT baseball glove in the GIANTS ball park makes total sense. As does a pirate ship at the Buccaneers stadium. They "go" with their respective teams JUST LIKE the tigers....

That first one is a reach, and sorry, but the pirate ship is really gimmicky and lame.

Tal's Hill in Houston.

TalsHill.jpg

I'm sorry man, but I have to completely disagree with you. That is by far the worst out of all of them.

My favourite? McCovey Cove in San Fran. Nothing like hitting a HR into the Pacific.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

No where else in the majors can you hit a ball 435+ feet to dead center and still not hit it out of the park.

Everything in your park is a contrived gimmick.

The scoreboard in Comerica Park is huge...I think its the biggest in MLB...

comerica_park_8_418.jpg

Now that's classy. I like the tigers prowling the scoreboard. Intimidating, but not overpowering.

Not like some ketchup bottle, a giant ball glove (AT&T Park) or some disney-esque pirate ship in the endzone.

The ketchup bottle, yes. The GIANT baseball glove in the GIANTS ball park makes total sense. As does a pirate ship at the Buccaneers stadium. They "go" with their respective teams JUST LIKE the tigers....

Looks gimmicky, especially when paired up with the stupid coke bottle.

And the pirate ship? Too Disney-esque for my tastes.

No where else in the majors can you hit a ball 435+ feet to dead center and still not hit it out of the park.

Everything in your park is a contrived gimmick.

:D

Here's the board at Rexall Place here in Edmonton, where the Oilers and Rush play.

(For the during the playoffs, they change the Rexall underneath logo to an Oilers logo)

060609-full.jpg

I've played ball in gyms smaller than that scoreboard.

Speaking of favorite quirks, the old gym at Manchester (Ind.) College was in an old auditorium. The basketball court was on the stage with a few rows of bleachers behind it and maybe five feet between the sideline and the three foot drop off the stage in the corners (it went out to maybe 15 feet in the middle.) You could get some great floor level photos.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Here's the board at Rexall Place here in Edmonton, where the Oilers and Rush play.

(For the during the playoffs, they change the Rexall underneath logo to an Oilers logo)

060609-full.jpg

Actually, the Rexall logo beneath the logo stays as a Rexall logo during the playoffs.

Your first picture even proves that, because thats a picture from the finals last year.

It was an Oilers logo until Rexall took over the naming rights, and decided to change that too.

I've played ball in gyms smaller than that scoreboard.

Looks bigger than it is in the picture.

t1_durhambulls_si.jpg

if a hitter hits the bull they win a free steak dinner, so does a lucky fan.

i think they are tearing it down though for some strange reason.

According to the Durham Bulls website they're just redoing the outfield wall. I'm pretty sure it'll be back.

bullscam-300x225.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

[speaking of favorite quirks, the old gym at Manchester (Ind.) College was in an old auditorium. The basketball court was on the stage with a few rows of bleachers behind it and maybe five feet between the sideline and the three foot drop off the stage in the corners (it went out to maybe 15 feet in the middle.) You could get some great floor level photos.

Interesting description. Was the effect more like Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium, or like when Radio City Music Hall was used for New York Liberty games while Madison Square Garden was being used for the 2004 Republican National Convention?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

:DDSC_0108.jpg

Wally.jpg

thats pretty hookie if you ask me. just a shamless plug for a company and has nothing to do with the teams identity. now the bucks ship is a cool way to intergrate the teams personality into the stadium

All that crap is hokey. Just give the darn score. Screw pirate boats, ketchup bottles, and any other useless accoutrements.

You tell 'im grampa! You're 80-years old and you don't have to take :censored: from nobody! :P

Seriously though, the best gimmick in sports is that whole Devil Rays losing schtick. Not exactly original (see Cubs), but still good. ^_^

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I hate gimmicks like that. There's no reason for a freakin' pool in centerfield. You're there to watch the game, not have a pool party.

Well, it's Arizona. And it's not a gimmick. It makes our ballpark unique. You want another cookie cutter stadium crap?

Archived