What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

The one I like most is the pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium. I like it especially because they fire cannons for every point the Bucs score whenever they do score.

I love the integration of the existing buildings into the construction of Petco Park in San Diego. It's kind of a more controlled version of the "Wrigleyville" rooftop seats. I also think, once it's all done, that the Ballpark Villages that will exist beyond the outfield walls at the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis and the new Athletics Ballpark will be amazing.

I like how PNC Park and AT&T Park both lie next to water, allowing for some nice home runs and unique wharf seating (I think).

I also like the giant Shark head they use in San Jose and that metal "derrick" they use in Edmonton.

The worst is everything in Minute Maid Park. That truely is one of the ugliest ballparks I've seen, even uglier than Tropicana Field. All but the entire left field area of the stadium looks like it's built inside an empty warehouse. That stupid hill and and the even more dangerous flagpole that is IN PLAY. The Home Run line that just goes along a wall and suddenly doubles in height for no reason at all. That gas pump that's also above the field (but still counts as a home run). That train! It seems like Houston tried to think every single quirk they could possibly fit into a rectangular area and pull them all off poorly.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always loved the manual scoreboard at Wrigley and the exploding scoreboard at Old Comiskey Park. But, by far my favorite thing from a stadium is the old Barton organ from the madhouse on Madison, also known as the Chicago Stadium. Anyone who got to attend a Hawks game at the old barn will never forget it. I still remember walking into the place for my only Hawks game at the Stadium and being 12 years old thinking how huge that place was. Hearing "Here come the Hawks" bellowing from the massive pipes of that organ sent goosebumps all over me. After the Hawks scored a goal the organist played the beer barrel polka. My dad told me stories of how powerful the organ was it could make the whole building shake to peices if they would have pulled all the stops on it. Darren Pang was in net for the Blackhawks and they won in overtime against Buffalo in a classic sunday matinee game. I got a tape of Wayne Messmer singing the Anthem and O' Canada before the Allstar game in 91 and the Anthem before two home games they had in the 92 finals. Hearing it still sends chills through me, I realize how much I miss that old organ. It really is sad that all that is left is just the beautiful console, the rest was destroyed in a warehouse fire. Man, I wish I gould find copies of some of the music that was recorded on the organ from years past to relive some of those old memories.

Here are some pics I found of the organ and you really get too see how large the console was.

stadiumatnite.jpg

stadiumorgan.jpg

stadiumorgan2.jpg

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Between Wrigley's art deco scoreboard, Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard with Sox-O-Gram at Comiskey, and the "engine room" look of the old Chicago Stadium scoreboard, is it any wonder Chicago is the best sports city in the world?

I'd have more respect for Chicago as a sports town if they actually showed up for Hawks games.

Why should we show up for Hawks games when Bill Wirtz has done everything in his power to alienate the fan base. It's not just his steadfast refusal to put home games on TV. Everyone knows about that. How about his constant threatening to blackout playoff games if they aren't sold out? Of course, that was back when the Hawks occasionally made the playoffs. Nowadays, he won't put a product on the ice capable of the playoffs. How about the time Wayne Messmer, the man who used to sing the National Anthem before games (and I still maintain he had the best rendition out there--it was a surreal experience and you couldn't help but get goose bumps when the crowd would start roaring before he got to "land of the free), how about when he wasn't brought back after he was shot and had his voice damaged (it's since gotten much, much better). How about letting the most popular players in the last 40 years get away (Roenick for Alexei Zhamnov?) And how about not bringing back the voice of the Blackhawks, and the best announcer in the game, Pat Foley after last season? His play-by-play was the best thing the Hawks had going for them.

So, you can talk all you want about Chicago not supporting the Blackhawks, but I, for one, won't support a team that refuses to support its fan base.

[speaking of favorite quirks, the old gym at Manchester (Ind.) College was in an old auditorium. The basketball court was on the stage with a few rows of bleachers behind it and maybe five feet between the sideline and the three foot drop off the stage in the corners (it went out to maybe 15 feet in the middle.) You could get some great floor level photos.

Interesting description. Was the effect more like Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium, or like when Radio City Music Hall was used for New York Liberty games while Madison Square Garden was being used for the 2004 Republican National Convention?

Strictly Radio City, only on a smaller scale. Picture a stage; the baskets were at stage left and right (with maybe three feet between the wall and th end of the court, with about eight rows of bleachers at the back of the stage.

I forgot my favorite high school one - Wild Rose (WI) where the basketball court was indoor/outdoor carpet. Strange to watch a game being played without the thump of dribbling and squeak of shoes.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Between Wrigley's art deco scoreboard, Bill Veeck's exploding scoreboard with Sox-O-Gram at Comiskey, and the "engine room" look of the old Chicago Stadium scoreboard, is it any wonder Chicago is the best sports city in the world?

I'd have more respect for Chicago as a sports town if they actually showed up for Hawks games.

Why should we show up for Hawks games when Bill Wirtz has done everything in his power to alienate the fan base. It's not just his steadfast refusal to put home games on TV. Everyone knows about that. How about his constant threatening to blackout playoff games if they aren't sold out? Of course, that was back when the Hawks occasionally made the playoffs. Nowadays, he won't put a product on the ice capable of the playoffs. How about the time Wayne Messmer, the man who used to sing the National Anthem before games (and I still maintain he had the best rendition out there--it was a surreal experience and you couldn't help but get goose bumps when the crowd would start roaring before he got to "land of the free), how about when he wasn't brought back after he was shot and had his voice damaged (it's since gotten much, much better). How about letting the most popular players in the last 40 years get away (Roenick for Alexei Zhamnov?) And how about not bringing back the voice of the Blackhawks, and the best announcer in the game, Pat Foley after last season? His play-by-play was the best thing the Hawks had going for them.

So, you can talk all you want about Chicago not supporting the Blackhawks, but I, for one, won't support a team that refuses to support its fan base.

Well said. Every year, I say "this is the year I finally support the Blackhawks like I ought to," but every year, it just gets worse. Pry this organization from Wirtz and Pulford, someone, anyone. I think all that crap from White Sox fans about "only supporting a winner because we won't accept a loser" is patently ridiculous, especially since it's not like the Sox had even been horrible by any means in the New Comiskey era, and as a Cub fan, I understand that unlike our south side brethren, you can't assume the ostrich position when your team isn't leading the league, but all that said, it's so very hard to support the Blackhawks these days.

What bothers me about Minute Maid Park's design is the fact that it has nothing to do with the Astros. The design of the ballpark doesn't allow the Astros much wiggle room in their uniform or logo design without looking completely out of place.

The biggest mistake was designing that ballpark with a retro/western theme. A modern/European style stadium would have looked WAAAAY much better.

Basically a team that tried to look futuristic and edgy for the first 30 years of their history now looks like something from the Old West.

1997 | 2003

I like all the Tigers at Comerica Park (scoreboard & the others)

n.gatigslg.jpg

norgteview.jpg

opendaylg.jpg

sogatelg.jpg

For Ford Field, I like how they used the old Hudson's Building for the luxary suites. I also like the atrium and how they made it so some sunlight gets into the stadium.

fordmain2.jpg

Well said. Every year, I say "this is the year I finally support the Blackhawks like I ought to," but every year, it just gets worse. Pry this organization from Wirtz and Pulford, someone, anyone. I think all that crap from White Sox fans about "only supporting a winner because we won't accept a loser" is patently ridiculous, especially since it's not like the Sox had even been horrible by any means in the New Comiskey era, and as a Cub fan, I understand that unlike our south side brethren, you can't assume the ostrich position when your team isn't leading the league, but all that said, it's so very hard to support the Blackhawks these days.

As a Sox fan, I don't really get that whole "support winner, won't accept loser" thing either. My friends and I (when I still lived in Chicago) would go to half a dozen games or so a summer regardless of record. And we'd go to more when they were winning. That seems natural, to me. And I think we are like a lot of fans. So, we support our team no matter what, but we get energized when they're winning. The thing about going to a Cubs game that's different than a Sox game is a Cubs game is an event. There's so much cool stuff to do around Wrigley, that it's a pleasure to go, no matter what. At Comiskular, it's always cool to tailgate, but afterwards, you don't want to be hanging around 35th too late.

As a Sox fan, I don't really get that whole "support winner, won't accept loser" thing either. My friends and I (when I still lived in Chicago) would go to half a dozen games or so a summer regardless of record. And we'd go to more when they were winning. That seems natural, to me. And I think we are like a lot of fans. So, we support our team no matter what, but we get energized when they're winning. The thing about going to a Cubs game that's different than a Sox game is a Cubs game is an event. There's so much cool stuff to do around Wrigley, that it's a pleasure to go, no matter what. At Comiskular, it's always cool to tailgate, but afterwards, you don't want to be hanging around 35th too late.

I've heard that, is the neighborhood around Comiskey really that dire?

I've heard that, is the neighborhood around Comiskey really that dire?

I'm not from there, so this is going on word of mouth, but I've heard that many folks are reluctant to park in the parking lot for fear of getting their tires jacked. That's just what I've heard, though.

The neighborhood has actually improved quite a bit since the 80s. Pretty much all of the projects across the highway have been torn down and actually there's a police station right by Comiskular. It's not the best place around, but you're not going to die if you watch a game there.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

It's better now than it was in the days of Old Comiskey, I'll give 'em that. I've heard so many stories of guys who'd charge you $20 to make sure your tires didn't get jacked, and how everyone would have to leave together for safety's sake. Still, the South Side is no place to be if you don't have to be.

The Comiskey area, just like the Yankee Stadium area, gets an unfair rap. They aren't the best neighborhoods, but it's not like you go to a game and then get capped. The South Bronx actually throws the best tailgate parties in the MLB during the playoffs (we know how to party).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

The coolest thing about Yankee Stadium is the fact that they have a recreational field that's basically in the shadow of the stadium. When I saw that, I was like "DAMN that is cool. Little kids can go up to home plate and swing for Yankee Stadium. That's awesome."

The original Big A is an all time classic...

00051893.jpg

I agree 100% about the original Big A scoreboard. That thing facinated me when I was a kid and I watched Angels' games on TV.

As for current scoreboards, I really like Jacobs Field. Huge video board that is HD and the script "Indians" lights up after homeruns and victories. Looks real good with the smaller video board in the left-field fence below and against the skyscrapers and the Gund Arena in the background.

385173280_55171d8afa.jpg

I don't really care for Jacobs Field. I mean, it's nice and all, as far as I can tell, but it's still just a little mundane to me. Cleveland is a little mundane to me.

Archived