What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding to the list, the BankAtlantic Center (formerly known as the National Car Rental Center and Office Depot Center, but I'll always call it the "Rent-A-Center") has one quirky feature. The seats behind the visitors goalkeeper are at a greater angle than the rest of the lower bowl in order to increase the volume of the crowd noise behind the visiting goalie for 2/3 of the game. The picture below somewhat shows the different angle.

sunrise_office_depot2.jpg

Aside from that, the "Rent-A-Center" is one of the most bland arenas out there, which is well-fitting for one of the most bland hockey teams in the NHL, located in the most bland part of South Florida.

got to love the mellon arena jumbotron

mellonht3.jpg

Got to? Seems pretty vanilla compared to the scoreboards of most NHL arenas.

Heh, yeah, that was my reaction to his post as well. I scanned pic to see if anything looked cool or different, and I couldn't find anything.

Adding to the list, the BankAtlantic Center (formerly known as the National Car Rental Center and Office Depot Center, but I'll always call it the "Rent-A-Center") has one quirky feature. The seats behind the visitors goalkeeper are at a greater angle than the rest of the lower bowl in order to increase the volume of the crowd noise behind the visiting goalie for 2/3 of the game. The picture below somewhat shows the different angle.

sunrise_office_depot2.jpg

Aside from that, the "Rent-A-Center" is one of the most bland arenas out there, which is well-fitting for one of the most bland hockey teams in the NHL, located in the most bland part of South Florida.

In your opinion, how does the BankAtlantic compare to the old Miami Arena? I remember that place would get LOUD back in the Panthers' mid-90s heyday.

mellonht3.jpg

Heh, yeah, that was my reaction to his post as well. I scanned pic to see if anything looked cool or different, and I couldn't find anything

Um, Richard Dreyfus anyone?

mellonht3.jpg

Heh, yeah, that was my reaction to his post as well. I scanned pic to see if anything looked cool or different, and I couldn't find anything

Um, Richard Dreyfus anyone?

Nice signature graphic. Marching on together.

Tal's Hill in Houston.

TalsHill.jpg

Is there a story as to why they did that? Never found out why...

I believe it pays homage to Crosley Field in Cincinnati, which had a hill leading up to the wall in left field.

And in "in play" centre field flagpole copies Detroit's Tiger Stadium:

Tigers27.jpg

... or more notably (and winningly) the in-play flagpole and plaques (Ruth, Huggins, Gerigh) in the original Yankee Stadium. Anyone got a pic?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

wmsb.jpg

Gimmicky by design. Well I guess you might say that if thats your opinion, but the building was actually there before the ballpark was built, way before, like in 1909. The building is historical so knocking it down was out of the question so the ballpark was built around the building. The building itself was rebuilt inside with new concrete supports, but the original wooden beams and ceilings were put right back in place after it was retrofitted.

This isn't part of the actually stadium, but at Dallas Stars games when the National Anthem is being sung, the fans yell out "Stars!" when the 2 parts come up ("...whose broad stripes and bright STARS...that STAR spangled banner yet wave..."). They stopped that after 9/11, but it started coming back recently.

The one thing in baseball is the opportunity for stadiums to be "gimmicky". In hockey, basketball, and football don't have this opportunity. I love the hill and flagpole in Houston, The monster in Boston, warehouse in Baltimore, bridge in Pittsburgh, building in SD, etc....... But I hate the Skydome. It is a horrible looking building. The scoreboard and out of town scoreboards, but the stadium as a hole is horrible.

saBS.png

The one thing in baseball is the opportunity for stadiums to be "gimmicky". In hockey, basketball, and football don't have this opportunity. I love the hill and flagpole in Houston, The monster in Boston, warehouse in Baltimore, bridge in Pittsburgh, building in SD, etc....... But I hate the Skydome. It is a horrible looking building. The scoreboard and out of town scoreboards, but the stadium as a hole is horrible.

Well I love it, it was and is still one of the most technologically advanced ballparks. League attendance records were held there and it saw the World series. The Rogers Centre can be used in any weather condition, all other retractable roof stadiums followed after with Miller Park, Safeco, Minute Maid, Chase Field. It has the largest HD scoreboard, beautiful luxury suites and it looks amazing on the Toronto skyline. Rogers Centre is also the only park with a hotel in it and is affordable. The main thing is that it is a multi-purpose stadium which is why it is not a stand alone outdoor park like they had before at Exhibition Stadium. Not only is it home to the Jays, it is a football stadium for the Argos and has hosted concerts, monster truck rallies, and European soccer matches. The Raptors use to play there as well when they came into NBA.

Rogers is now working on improving it, they upgraded some seats, added ribbon boards, new suites, widen concourses. They plan to renovate the entire thing soon, including the exterior. It was made in 1989, before the retro-craze stadium craze began in MLB.

I been there many times when I drove up from Indiana. One of my favorite parks.

Well, the monster isn't really a gimmick, it just makes it a lot harder for a righty to pull a home run.

I don't really consider the warehouse, bridge or western metal supply co. building to be gimmicky because they were there before they built the stadium. They didn't build the Roberto Clemente Bridge for PNC Park, I don't think, since it was built in 1928. :P

Rogers Centre may be a hole now, but it was pretty cutting edge for the time it was built.

The scoreboard in Comerica Park is huge...I think its the biggest in MLB...
I don't know about that, but it definately is up there. I'd be interested to find out what is...google here I come...

Believe it or not, there was a time when this was MLB's biggest:

ScoreboardAfter9-11.jpg

And of course, I don't care how lame or gimmicky or whatever it is, I don't care if you call me a major homer or whatnot, I just love seeing this:

TheApple.jpg

And yes, I hope I'll be seeing it often again this season...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived