What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing in baseball is the opportunity for stadiums to be "gimmicky". In hockey, basketball, and football don't have this opportunity. I love the hill and flagpole in Houston, The monster in Boston, warehouse in Baltimore, bridge in Pittsburgh, building in SD, etc....... But I hate the Skydome. It is a horrible looking building. The scoreboard and out of town scoreboards, but the stadium as a hole is horrible.

Well, the monster isn't really a gimmick, it just makes it a lot harder for a righty to pull a home run.

I don't really consider the warehouse, bridge or western metal supply co. building to be gimmicky because they were there before they built the stadium. They didn't build the Roberto Clemente Bridge for PNC Park, I don't think, since it was built in 1928. :P

Rogers Centre may be a hole now, but it was pretty cutting edge for the time it was built.

Mabye I used the wrong word, "different" works better than "gimmicky".

saBS.png

Biggest? Meet GODZILLATRON!

of50590442-1.jpg

(cool pre-game Longhorn montage)

What should be the biggest until Texas came along... :P

A couple of shots...

100_0329.jpg

100_0344.jpg

Actually the biggest before Texas was the one at Donal W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium. It has been suggested that the ONLY reason Texas built one so big is because ours was bigger when they came here in 2003. Although I gotta say, the sides on the Nebraska one is better than ours.

dolphins2.png

-I've always liked the Indians scoreboard, even though I hate the Indians (probably because of the bad reputation of the Dawg Pound)

-McCovey Cove

-I've disowned the U of Minnesota, but the raised floor at Williams Arena

-Dangit, someone brought it up on the last page, but that short section of Seahawks Stadium (the Hawks' Nest)

-With all the new HD scoreboards, better or worse, I always seem to compare them to the one at Ravens Stadium, for some reason.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

While watching NBA All-Star Saturday, I couldn't tell if the T&M had a new center hung scoreboard installed or if LED boards are hiding the existing scoreboard.

The old one was removed and temporary screens installed. They were from the NBA and for use during all star festivities only.

Other than the ones already mentioned,

The Hawks nest at Qwest Field comes to mind

81813018_284cab15fc_m.jpg

Seattle's stadium is my favorite in the NFL. A close second is Reliant Stadium. But Quest Field is just great, I love the new-age architecture they've got going on there.

-I've always liked the Indians scoreboard, even though I hate the Indians (probably because of the bad reputation of the Dawg Pound)

i know most browns fans are tribe fans. but how can how they act during football games make you hate the baseball team?

whats wrong with the dawg pound?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

i know most browns fans are tribe fans. but how can how they act during football games make you hate the baseball team?

whats wrong with the dawg pound?

Well, let's see: throwing beer bottles at refs, being the first fans to cheer an injury to their own player (on a large scale, I'm sure this has happened many times before on a smaller scale)... I'm sure not all Dawg Pounders are like that, but when that stuff happens something's wrong.

*looks at sig* And plus, Glen Mason is from OSU. :P And you might be thinking "Why Michigan?" I'm actually in Japan to work for an engineering company, and when I'm done here I'm moving to Ann Arbor to continue working for their American affiliate. I'll probably end up going to grad school there.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

What? No love for the Metrodome and it's Vampire Seats just beyond the Hefty Bag?

metro736.jpg

The Vampire Seats are the football bleachers that are folded up (and hang there upside down) to extend the right field for baseball. You can't beat that for charm and quirkyness.

Oh, wait. They're not charming and quirky. They're STUPID and I can't wait unitl the Twins can get the hell out of there.

Nevermind.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

What? No love for the Metrodome and it's Vampire Seats just beyond the Hefty Bag?

metro736.jpg

The Vampire Seats are the football bleachers that are folded up (and hang there upside down) to extend the right field for baseball. You can't beat that for charm and quirkyness.

Oh, wait. They're not charming and quirky. They're STUPID and I can't wait unitl the Twins can get the hell out of there.

Nevermind.

Yep.

For a 'quirk' how about the gigantic swastika in the roof? It has to be the only one of those in the NFL or MLB. Has to be.

swastika.jpg

and if you think that it has no subliminal effect on the youth of Minnesota, look at what this youngster did on Joe Mauer Sideburns Night...

5sideburns0811.standalone.jpg

Archived