Gators To Get New Championship Logo

meetthemets

SPORTS BUSINESS JOURNAL

This Week's News

Gators? two titles mean new logo

By MICHAEL SMITH

Staff writer

Published February 05, 2007 : Page 05

The University of Florida?s licensing office is in the process of choosing a logo to celebrate the school?s dual national championships in football and men?s basketball. A single logo for Florida?s championships could begin showing up on merchandise.

Graphic designers within Florida athletics, as well as those at Collegiate Licensing Co., are working to create the new logo. Only those licensees that applied for the basketball and football national championship logos will have access to the dual-title mark. This is the first time an NCAA Division I school has held the men?s basketball and football titles at the same time.

Heath Price, CLC?s director of university services for the Southeastern Conference, said about 80 licensees were approved to create merchandise and apparel with the basketball national championship logo last April, while about 100 licensees are producing goods with the football mark.

Of those, about 50 have applied for the dual-title rights. Until a dual-title mark is produced, some licensees are producing merchandise and apparel with both the football and basketball title logos.

?Not every licensee has the time to spend on dual-title merchandise because they?re so busy with football,? Price said.

Producing dual-title merchandise is also more costly. In addition to paying the school the standard 12 percent royalty on goods sold, licensees must pay 3 percent to the NCAA for the basketball mark and 3 percent to the Bowl Championship Series for the football mark, for a total royalty of 18 percent.

Of the money that goes to the school, typically 10 percent or so goes to CLC as part of a revenue-sharing agreement.

It?s still too soon to know how much additional revenue the dual titles will mean for the Gators, said Debbie Gay, Florida?s licensing manager.

Royalties from football national championship sales won?t begin to flow into the athletic department until the next quarter, and it likely will take six months to a year before Florida fully knows the financial impact, from a licensing standpoint, of wearing both crowns.

Gay said the school realized about $500,000 in unbudgeted revenue from its basketball championship and likely will see more from the football title.

The Gators? licensing revenue for 2005-06 topped $3 million, and more is expected in ?06-07. Half of that revenue stays in athletics, while the other half goes to the university?s general fund.

?And that doesn?t include incremental sales on the regular merchandise and apparel as interest in the program goes up,? Gay said. ?That?s what is hard to measure.?

Even before winning the men?s basketball and football national titles, Florida gear was typically among the nation?s best sellers. The Gators consistently rank in the top 10 and in the last few years have ranked in the range of No. 5 to No. 7, according to CLC.

The Gators might not be finished yet. Florida is a contender to win this season?s title in men?s basketball as well. ?Then you?re talking about three in a row, and basketball back-to-back,? Price said. ?We?ll cross that bridge when we come to it.?

On a related subject, Gators fans to become even more insufferable. Film at eleven.

In comparison to other fan groups, the Gator Nation is pretty docile.

After all, who's more insufferable, BgMack, or Bill Simmons?

Not that much of a contest....

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I don't consider the two to be dual national championships. not to take anything away from them, but to me I go by the school term - september to may is a one year. The football season comes first, and then the basketball season. Therefore, the basketball team won LAST year, and the football team won THIS year. So yes they are champions at the same time, but not for the same season. If the basketball wins this year, then it will be dual championships.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I don't consider the two to be dual national championships. not to take anything away from them, but to me I go by the school term - september to may is a one year. The football season comes first, and then the basketball season. Therefore, the basketball team won LAST year, and the football team won THIS year. So yes they are champions at the same time, but not for the same season. If the basketball wins this year, then it will be dual championships.

But they both HOLD the title simultaneously, a feat never before accomplished. It's a bit like the Tiger Slam in golf - holding all four majors at the same time, although not necessarily in the same calendar year. Kinda an irrelevant comparison though. Really, when you think about it, most colleges either pour money into football or basketball, but rarely both. The Gators are truly committed to winning at both sports (as are other teams), but apparently at a higher level.

The accomplishment does mean something though. Almost any given team can win the Final 65 (he he) if they get hot and play together and find ways to overcome their opponents. And almost any team can win a bowl game if they get hot and play together and find ways to overcome their opponents (just like the Colts run defense found a way to get better in the playoffs).

Really, if you want to talk about dual championships, I'd be interested to know how many times a Woman's collegiate team has won their championship with the Men's team also winning theirs? (And I'm excluding track and field from this discussion because I don't care.)

So, you have football, volleyball, hoops, lacrosse, swimming, soccer, and what else (someone help me here)? (No, chess doesn't count.)

Anyway, go Gatorz!!!!

And, on an unrelated note, the Mr & Mrs Gator mascots have to be the best pair of mascots in the USA!

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

But they both HOLD the title simultaneously, a feat never before accomplished. It's a bit like the Tiger Slam in golf - holding all four majors at the same time, although not necessarily in the same calendar year. Kinda an irrelevant comparison though. Really, when you think about it, most colleges either pour money into football or basketball, but rarely both. The Gators are truly committed to winning at both sports (as are other teams), but apparently at a higher level.

The accomplishment does mean something though. Almost any given team can win the Final 65 (he he) if they get hot and play together and find ways to overcome their opponents. And almost any team can win a bowl game if they get hot and play together and find ways to overcome their opponents (just like the Colts run defense found a way to get better in the playoffs).

Really, if you want to talk about dual championships, I'd be interested to know how many times a Woman's collegiate team has won their championship with the Men's team also winning theirs? (And I'm excluding track and field from this discussion because one pulled hamstring should not a season make...)

So, you have football, volleyball, hoops, lacrosse, swimming, soccer, and what else (someone help me here)?

Anyway, go Gatorz!!!!

Agreed. they are both the 2006 Champions and they currently hold both titles.

And to your mens/womens championship, UConn did it in hoops a couple years ago.

On a related subject, Gators fans to become even more insufferable. Film at eleven.

Bill Simmons is beyond insufferable. He's past nauseating, he's in a whole 'nother realm.

Bill Simmons is a fantastic writer!

Bill Simmons is beyond insufferable. He's past nauseating, he's in a whole 'nother realm.

Bill Simmons is a hack. Check and see how much of the same b.s. he throws in every column. Sports Gal reference? Check. Reference to his idiot Boston buddies? Check. Some 80s movie reference? Check. How Boston sports teams tie into virtually any subject matter under the sun? Check. It's like a bad drinking game.

Proud recipient of a total encephaloectomy, eh?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• 4 weeks later...

why did they wait so long for this logo, espcially during this time of march maddness. they should've prepared this logo for a backup a week before the national championchip game (football) incase they won(which they already did) for the b-ball team could've wear the logo as a patch during regular season.

just my opinion.

Tie, in my eyes. The "Year of the Gators" post where he suggested the Bears will win the Super Bowl, in my opinion, is far worse than anything Simmons has ever done because he meant it and defended it. Bill Simmons just has a website that I'm sure we all frequent throwing his article in your face. Gators fans, as a whole, seem like they're pretty tolerable, though. Your point is valid... I'm a Red Sox fan and even I think that New England sports fans are pretty intolerable for the most part.

And back on subject... 'Gator Slam'? Lame. I like the idea to use the logo, though.

And I'm 95% certain that UConn in 2004 was the only team ever to win the Mens and Womens Championships in the same year.

IUe6Hvh.png

• LMU locked this topic

Archived