Least intimidating team name ever...

whitedawg22

signingdaytakeover_wire.jpg

This is the front page from the rivals.com college football signing day article today (2/7). Looks like Chad Jones, whoever he is, plays for a high school team whose nickname is the "Kittens". Does anybody know what team this is? It has to be the least intimidating nickname I've ever heard, unless you're a ball of string.

Edit: I did some more research - evidently, a high school did think that "Kittens" was a great name for athletic teams. It's Baton Rouge Southern Lab School. I don't even know what to say about this.

jaguar4.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a graduate of Stuyvesant High School in NYC. My Freshman year I played one season on JV. Our football team: The Stuyvesant Peglegs, named in honor of the wooden leg worn by former New Amsterdam governor Peter Stuyvesant.

Talk about your non-intimidating nicknames--how about a football team that sounds handicapped before they even take the field? (bow)

When I played there (86-87) we wore red uniforms with bright "Denver Bronco" blue helmets. The JV had blank helmets, while the Varsity got "Peglegs" in red outlined with white in sort of a zippy New York Jets type font. Here's the current helmet, which is much less ugly.

Helmets_left2-159x130.jpg

Anyway, that's my "non-intimidating nicknames" entry

NyghtOwl

I have to ask this sarcastic question, but are they the Lab Kittens like the Hokaido Nippon Ham Fighters are known to most as the Ham Fighters? :D

Nippon Ham is the company that sponsors the Fighters. I assume you were kidding, but I just wanted to make sure :grin: (Actually got to see the Fighters play the Marines while I was in Japan...great experience)

Idk why, but I've never really been intimidated of a Bear Cub. Specifically, the Chicago Cubs. I remember growing up and watching Cubs games on WGN, and the way the segueway announcer said "You are watching Chicago Cubs baseball on WGN!" just made me think "Awwww, they're the Cubs."

I am a graduate of Stuyvesant High School in NYC. My Freshman year I played one season on JV. Our football team: The Stuyvesant Peglegs, named in honor of the wooden leg worn by former New Amsterdam governor Peter Stuyvesant.

Talk about your non-intimidating nicknames--how about a football team that sounds handicapped before they even take the field? (bow)

When I played there (86-87) we wore red uniforms with bright "Denver Bronco" blue helmets. The JV had blank helmets, while the Varsity got "Peglegs" in red outlined with white in sort of a zippy New York Jets type font. Here's the current helmet, which is much less ugly.

Helmets_left2-159x130.jpg

Anyway, that's my "non-intimidating nicknames" entry

NyghtOwl

STUYVESANT HIGH SCHOOL SUCKS!!!!!! A.P.RANDOLPH CAMPUS HIGH SCHOOL RULES!!!!!!! Now tell me how can a pegleg run from a cougar??? He can't!!!! :P:P

Kittens is pretty bad. Most of the unique ones are just that, unique, more confusing than cutesy, but kittens?

Wouldn't jaguars have cubs, not kittens? Lions have cubs, tigers have cubs, you would think jaguars would have them.

My favorites, just from my general area.

Sparkplugs (Speedway HS, Indy)

Argyles (Marion, IN?)

Cheesemakers (monroe, WI)

Pretzels (Fulton, IL)

Chinks (Pekin, IL--now changed)

The Chinks made me wonder if there were ever other really derrogatory racial nicknames other than some of the bad native-themed ones (Redskins and the like). Not that I want to turn this thread to the vilest name, just wondering if there were any.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived